News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

West Midlands Railway

Started by Stu, December 09, 2017, 12:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoNi

Lunchtime local news programme on BBC1 featured Peter Plizner holding letter to all staff stating cleaning will be outsourced, maintenance provided by train builder (as has been stated on forum before) and new trains will be driver only operated.

The Real 4778

Quote from: JoNi on December 14, 2017, 02:09:46 PM
Lunchtime local news programme on BBC1 featured Peter Plizner holding letter to all staff stating cleaning will be outsourced, maintenance provided by train builder (as has been stated on forum before) and new trains will be driver only operated.

Typical sensationalist reporting designed to antagonise and disturb people, no doubt.  Cleaning has been outsourced by/ on various TOCs since last century, it's extremely likely that only the maintenance for the new EMUs will be outsourced, and if that's the case then a new depot will mean more new local jobs.

I admit I didn't see the TV piece, but I would be amazed if the positive knock-on effects (beyond the new trains themselves) were mentioned.
Don't you start.

JoNi

Quote from: The Real 4778 on December 14, 2017, 02:53:49 PM
Typical sensationalist reporting designed to antagonise and disturb people, no doubt.  Cleaning has been outsourced by/ on various TOCs since last century, it's extremely likely that only the maintenance for the new EMUs will be outsourced, and if that's the case then a new depot will mean more new local jobs.

I admit I didn't see the TV piece, but I would be amazed if the positive knock-on effects (beyond the new trains themselves) were mentioned.

The positive knock on effects wern't mentioned. He stood clutching a staff letter with WMR on top saying it was an exclusive! RMT were interviewed for their opinion. Should be on tonight.

Westy

Suppose there'll be a strike then?

Look, why dont these train companies get it into their heads that we need guards.

End of.

Sh4318

Quote from: Dom on December 14, 2017, 09:32:51 AM
On another note, still getting 350's that are announcing 'Welcome aboard this London Midland service....'. I did have 350101 yesterday that announced 'Welcome aboard this service to...'.

I wonder if new announcements will be recorded. I hope it's someone else doing them as the Julie Berry's voice does grind on me a bit.

The 172s changed to generic announcements last week, removing all the London Midland references 'Welcome to this service' & 'thank you for travelling with us today'
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

markcf83

Quote from: Westy on December 14, 2017, 09:19:44 PM

Look, why dont these train companies get it into their heads that we need guards.

End of.

I'd have them doing what they are meant to be doing-checking tickets and helping passengers.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Kevin

Quote from: Westy on December 14, 2017, 09:19:44 PM
Suppose there'll be a strike then?

End of.

Isn't really end of though is it?
They would bring in so much more revenue for the company if they actually went round the train checking selling tickets instead of hiding at the back and doing a job that it has been demonstrated that drivers can easily do
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Solo1

Do they still do group save tickets like London midland did

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: markcf83 on December 14, 2017, 11:01:49 PM
I'd have them doing what they are meant to be doing-checking tickets and helping passengers.

What they're 'meant' to be doing when the job was done properly was guarding the Train (there's a clue in the old job title), their responsibility was the safe procedure of the Train. Drivers were called Drivers because they drove the Train - & received authority to procede from the Guard (not via some comedy mirror, or crappy vdu's).

There used to be a job title of Ticket Inspector, guess what they were employed to do?

dingding

Spot on. The rail operators just want to squeeze every last penny profit out of their cash cow and of course the main objective of helping the DfT break the rail unions

The Real 4778

Quote from: dingding on December 16, 2017, 10:03:25 AM
Spot on. The rail operators just want to squeeze every last penny profit out of their cash cow and of course the main objective of helping the DfT break the rail unions

Out of interest, what % profit do you think transport groups typically make from running a franchise?
Don't you start.

Tony

Quote from: The Real 4778 on December 17, 2017, 06:44:14 PM
Out of interest, what % profit do you think transport groups typically make from running a franchise?

It's in the 3-4% range as an average

Bob

Have WMR got a seat moquette design yet and if so what units would get the refurb? Im imagining no 150 /153 poss not 323s would be selected for retrim?

The Real 4778

Quote from: Tony on December 17, 2017, 06:48:40 PM
It's in the 3-4% range as an average

Exactly, Tony.  Factor this in with the amount of collateral and indemnities that a bidder has to stump-up/ guarantee, it's hardly surprising that there are frequently fewer than four contenders ready, able and willing to bid for a DfT model franchise.
Don't you start.

Bob

On the 11.57 from Cannock which is seriously overcrowded...2 carriages

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk