News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Wednesbury to Brierley Hill: work starts next year

Started by Stu, October 04, 2016, 07:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger66

When is the junction works at bull st/coporation st going start. Don't think it can be left for to much longer with the trams supposed to be stopping at ICC by end of the year.

Solo1

Quote from: Ginger66 on April 26, 2019, 05:49:26 AM
When is the junction works at bull st/coporation st going start. Don't think it can be left for to much longer with the trams supposed to be stopping at ICC by end of the year.
what work at bull st corporation st what they doing with the line /track there

Roy

The Government has not yet granted TfWM powers to begin construction on the Eastside extension, so the turnout at the Bull Street/Corporation Street junction will not be constructed until work starts on this extension.  The original date for completion of the Eastside extension was November 2022, but it now looks like this date will slip.  The extension of the line from Grand Central to ICC and then to Edgbaston does not depend on this turnout being built and will open whether or not the turnout is built. 

Ginger66

Quote from: Solo1 on April 26, 2019, 09:18:11 AM
what work at bull st corporation st what they doing with the line /track there
The digbeth extension would need a delta junction  installing to enable trams to go from Edgbaston  to digbeth and digbeth to Wolverhampton

RW

What and where is the " key track intersection in Sandwell" referred to in the MMA updated news leaflet outlining progress  on this route. Apparently it is to be constructed in the next 6 months :-*

Roy

It's the triangular junction linking the Birmingham - Wolverhampton line with the Wednesbury to Brierley Hill line to allow trams from Brierley Hill to operate alternately to Wolverhampton and Birmingham.

RW

Thanks Roy should have realised that's what was being referred to. Any sign of on site works yet? Will be a significant bit of infrastructure work.

Roy

Quote from: RW on December 20, 2019, 08:36:11 AM
Thanks Roy should have realised that's what was being referred to. Any sign of on site works yet? Will be a significant bit of infrastructure work.

I attended one of the drop in sessions organised by the Metro Alliance last month and got some information, as well as being added to the email list for updates.  I must admit that I don't know what the situation is at the Wednesbury end of the line as I didn't ask. 

There are two imminent pieces of work in Dudley.  The first has already started on the site of Dudley Railway Station where a retaining wall is being built to enable the Metro to run behind the Dudley VLR Centre (building work on this is due to start in the first half of 2020).  The second will see a new road built parallel to Flood Street early in 2020 (on the car park) to enable the Metro track and stop to be built on Flood Street itself.  One major project will be to strengthen Park Head Viaduct as the brick encases an original Brunel wooden viaduct which is in very poor condition.  There are also three weak bridges in Tipton that will need strengthening. 

Finally, the plan now is to open the line in one go in 2023 rather than open to Dudley first and then to Brierley Hill later.  They said that they hope to organise further sessions later so it might be worth going along if you're interested.

mikestone

Quote from: Roy on December 19, 2019, 01:44:35 PM
It's the triangular junction linking the Birmingham - Wolverhampton line with the Wednesbury to Brierley Hill line to allow trams from Brierley Hill to operate alternately to Wolverhampton and Birmingham.
I would have thought a balloon loop around the depot so that all trams could serve Great Western Street might not have been a bad idea.

danny

Hi guys, hope your all OK and had a nice Christmas and New year. So I was coming out of dudley just and noticed as coming over the bridge by the zoo that a load of diggers was hard at work in the old rail site. Is this the beginning of the team extension works or a separate project.
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

Busboy105

Quote from: danny on January 08, 2020, 02:18:51 PM
Hi guys, hope your all OK and had a nice Christmas and New year. So I was coming out of dudley just and noticed as coming over the bridge by the zoo that a load of diggers was hard at work in the old rail site. Is this the beginning of the team extension works or a separate project.
Think so. Can't think of any other reason why diggers would be there.

mikestone

Perhaps the "Light Rail Innovation Centre" is proceeding beyond an academic fantasy?

Roy

Quote from: Busboy105 on January 08, 2020, 03:49:08 PM
Think so. Can't think of any other reason why diggers would be there.
They are building a retaining wall to enable the Metro to run behind the Dudley VLR Centre.  Construction work on the VLR Centre should start later this year and be opened in mid-2021.

Busboy105

Any updates on the construction of this line yet?

ellspurs

Castle Street, Dudley is closed for construction, and there's road works going up Tipton Road which may be linked to it (as that seems to have been there for ages as well).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk