News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Arriva Shrewsbury

Started by Wolves256, November 26, 2014, 10:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich-82

Quote from: Pat on November 08, 2020, 07:14:34 PM
School/college services will have new operators as of tomorrow

S8 (Shrewsbury - London Rd) - Wheadons, Cardiff
S519 (Newport - Shrewsbury) - Wheadons, Cardiff
SX5 (Telford - London Rd) - Regional Transport, Shrewsbury
thats along way to come from for a contract

Pat

Quote from: Rich-82 on November 08, 2020, 07:45:34 PM
thats along way to come from for a contract
I must admit, I was surprised to see that too.  There's plenty local operators who could have run it, seen as they are crying out for business due to recent times.

BusMan Greg

The 9 is to be suspended from next week leaving Bridgnorth without a Wolverhampton link. I wonder if local authorities will step in like they did with diamond's 303 in Kidderminster!

Depotosw

Shrewsbury depot as like last summer, return to provide an input on the 70 Oswestry to Shrewsbury service with Oswestry depot, full detail under the Oswestry thread.

ellspurs

Quote from: BusMan Greg on January 14, 2021, 05:40:24 PM
The 9 is to be suspended from next week leaving Bridgnorth without a Wolverhampton link. I wonder if local authorities will step in like they did with diamond's 303 in Kidderminster!

With the government not wanting people to travel long distances, was there enough people using this to keep it running in the current lockdown? I'd have thought the various companies have been checking usage over the last few weeks to see what coverage is required, and with the "STAY HOME" message getting enforced more vigorously, there may not be a need for it at the moment.

Tony

Quote from: ellspurs on January 16, 2021, 05:15:13 PM
With the government not wanting people to travel long distances, was there enough people using this to keep it running in the current lockdown? I'd have thought the various companies have been checking usage over the last few weeks to see what coverage is required, and with the "STAY HOME" message getting enforced more vigorously, there may not be a need for it at the moment.

The government want all essential workers to be able to get to work and are providing the finances to operate these services

Quote from: Tony on January 16, 2021, 05:16:27 PM
The government want all essential workers to be able to get to work and are providing the finances to operate these services
I had a look at their website and there is a timetable for that service for date commencing 16th January.
https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/help/coronavirus/coronavirus-timetable-information

So not sure where that comes from.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

ellspurs

Quote from: Tony on January 16, 2021, 05:16:27 PM

Ok, I've just looked on Arriva's website and they've revised the 9 timetable from today which is showing a roughly hour service. No mention of it being suspended.

@BusMan Greg where did you see your info?

Edit: @2206 beat me to the punch, as usual.

BusMan Greg

Quote from: ellspurs on January 16, 2021, 05:26:40 PM
Ok, I've just looked on Arriva's website and they've revised the 9 timetable from today which is showing a roughly hour service. No mention of it being suspended.

@BusMan Greg where did you see your info?

Edit: @2206 beat me to the punch, as usual.
On the website it said it was suspended from Monday when I checked a couple of days ago! Obviously things have changed since I last checked

Pat

Quote from: BusMan Greg on January 16, 2021, 06:17:18 PM
On the website it said it was suspended from Monday when I checked a couple of days ago! Obviously things have changed since I last checked
Yes, it was a mistake.  The 9 will continue to run.

Depotosw

Notable the last week or so that Shrewsbury depot input on the 70 to Oswestry has been fairly 'down at the heal' compared to Oswestry depots on the same days. I recall asking Simon a couple of years ago on his thread how often buses should be washed and he said 'daily' so very sad to see Shrewsbury have slipped back into putting buses out caked in thick mud that's nearing in some cases a week old. Noting 2501 and 2976 today in such a state and quite frankly a embarrassment really when a small depot like Oswestry, without an automated bus wash can turn out a fleet and well presented fleet of clean buses.

Pat

Quote from: Depotosw on February 10, 2021, 02:17:40 PM
Notable the last week or so that Shrewsbury depot input on the 70 to Oswestry has been fairly 'down at the heal' compared to Oswestry depots on the same days. I recall asking Simon a couple of years ago on his thread how often buses should be washed and he said 'daily' so very sad to see Shrewsbury have slipped back into putting buses out caked in thick mud that's nearing in some cases a week old. Noting 2501 and 2976 today in such a state and quite frankly a embarrassment really when a small depot like Oswestry, without an automated bus wash can turn out a fleet and well presented fleet of clean buses.
AFAIK, buses are now washed every 3 days.  Also, vehicles on country runs like the 70 will get more dirtier than something running round on town services. 

Depotosw

Quote from: Pat on February 10, 2021, 02:33:41 PM
AFAIK, buses are now washed every 3 days.  Also, vehicles on country runs like the 70 will get more dirtier than something running round on town services.

Thanks for the reply, interesting to note 3 days, is this a company wide thing with Midlands? Oswestry are certainly washing their buses more than every three days, they actually look a credit to Arriva. Arriva Cymru also for example as a rule wash their fleet on a daily basis, except outstations.

The point here is the dirt carried is not from that days operation on the 70, it's been gained from many other days in service to the point they look a disgrace when leaving the depot that morning for start of service. Oswestry are interworking the 70 and 576, the 70 as a rule is a fairly main road run whilst the 576 can make the buses very dirty due to the backlane nature, yet they look much more presentable after a days work, even when conditions are not as good. Most of Oswestry's routes are not local town routes yet they keep a clean and tidy fleet day in day out.

At one time and not so long ago, it would be common to see Shrewsbury running buses on locals, caked in the same mud for a week and yes that included the height of summer!

Pat

Quote from: Depotosw on February 10, 2021, 02:59:31 PM
Thanks for the reply, interesting to note 3 days, is this a company wide thing with Midlands? Oswestry are certainly washing their buses more than every three days, they actually look a credit to Arriva. Arriva Cymru also for example as a rule wash their fleet on a daily basis, except outstations.

The point here is the dirt carried is not from that days operation on the 70, it's been gained from many other days in service to the point they look a disgrace when leaving the depot that morning for start of service. Oswestry are interworking the 70 and 576, the 70 as a rule is a fairly main road run whilst the 576 can make the buses very dirty due to the backlane nature, yet they look much more presentable after a days work, even when conditions are not as good. Most of Oswestry's routes are not local town routes yet they keep a clean and tidy fleet day in day out.

From what you've said about Oswestry's washing facilities, I take it they use some form of pressure washer?  Is it a portable one, or fixed as if it's portable it's much easier to get all of the fleet done regularly.

At one time and not so long ago, it would be common to see Shrewsbury running buses on locals, caked in the same mud for a week and yes that included the height of summer!
Not sure if it's a Midlands wise thing.  Telford's standards aren't the best either at times.  I think it's more to do with a capacity/space issue with washing buses, as Shrewsbury and Telford both have more buses than Oswestry do.  Plus the fact that both use a proper bus wash, it would mean buses having to be left somewhere until they can be taken through.

Pat

I've just read something regarding this.  Apparently it's a H&S risk to wash buses below certain temperatures.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk