News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Ronnoc on December 28, 2023, 10:41:00 AMThat's the fun of the thread I guess.

I would really love to see just a small indication of which NX routes are profitable/unprofitable (and by what margin). I know there's the high frequency routes that would obviously be the most profitable (50, 74, etc). However, it would be interesting to see some form of statistics.
Well for obvious reasons you never will unless you get a job at NX or TfWM

ellspurs

The train fare between Birmingham and Coventry is listed at £5.50 one way, £9 return for travel today on the West Midlands Railway website with a journey time of 20-25 minutes. Offpeak return is £6.90.

The coach fare between Birmingham and Coventry is listed at £5.20 one way, no return ticket for travel today, with a journey length of 50-55 minutes.

We all know the bus pricing and times.

The bus isn't viable for long distance journeys, as Tony has mentioned above. People just need to choose the method of transport that works for them best.

Ronnoc

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Jay71 on December 28, 2023, 09:26:23 AMI'd like to see Diamond or NX run a express from Birmingham to Wolverhampton.
There is a reason that doesn't exist as Tony mentioned the Tram and Train, the Avanti services are Express. Depending on your route it wouldn't be viable as the X8 covers the old 126 route to a degree and the 79 could never compete again sadly. The only area the 79 could is Moxley and Darlaston but most people get the bus to Walsall or Wednesbury and get the Tram, Train and or X51. Sadly Wolverhampton to Birmingham is well covered. And with the Trams now having the issues fixed there isn't scope to try and tempt them away
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

Jay71

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on December 28, 2023, 10:54:39 AMThere is a reason that doesn't exist as Tony mentioned the Tram and Train, the Avanti services are Express. Depending on your route it wouldn't be viable as the X8 covers the old 126 route to a degree and the 79 could never compete again sadly. The only area the 79 could is Moxley and Darlaston but most people get the bus to Walsall or Wednesbury and get the Tram, Train and or X51. Sadly Wolverhampton to Birmingham is well covered. And with the Trams now having the issues fixed there isn't scope to try and tempt them away
You mentioned issues with the trams being fixed. I think that the service is vert unreliable.  It wasn't this bad when the service ran every 6/7 mins. But since it got reduced to every ten mins the service has gone downhill faster than a rollercoaster.  Don't get me started on the overcrowding. They're constantly having issues with the screens at stops ie 'the next tram will arrive in one min'. Four or five mins later the tram that was due in one min still hasn't arrived. 

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Jay71 on December 28, 2023, 12:30:17 PMYou mentioned issues with the trams being fixed. I think that the service is vert unreliable.  It wasn't this bad when the service ran every 6/7 mins. But since it got reduced to every ten mins the service has gone downhill faster than a rollercoaster.  Don't get me started on the overcrowding. They're constantly having issues with the screens at stops ie 'the next tram will arrive in one min'. Four or five mins later the tram that was due in one min still hasn't arrived.

It is probably down to Driver Shortages, In terms of Wolverhampton to Birmingham it is still quicker than any Express Bus or the 79 could ever be and I want the 79 to go back to Brum but I realise it isn't viable. 
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

Jay71

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on December 28, 2023, 03:28:18 PMIt is probably down to Driver Shortages, In terms of Wolverhampton to Birmingham it is still quicker than any Express Bus or the 79 could ever be and I want the 79 to go back to Brum but I realise it isn't viable.
According to the conductors its all down to penny pinching.  They have no intentions of bringing back the 6/7 min frequency. 

Stu

Quote from: TheMidlandsTrident on December 28, 2023, 08:53:19 AMI doubt you'd have hardly any passengers. I bet from experience you could probably fill a 12m single decker (45 seater or so), if not a 10.3 meter platinum. Every time i go on the x1 it is packed and seriously needs more frequency.
Yes, the X1 gets packed but very few people do the full run to Coventry, not enough to fill a single decker running every 20 minutes.

I've travelled a fair few times myself on the X1, and from my own experiences and observations, it is busiest between Birmingham city centre and Sheldon.

Maybe a peak-time frequency increase for the X2 would help instead?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Stu on December 28, 2023, 06:59:07 PMYes, the X1 gets packed but very few people do the full run to Coventry, not enough to fill a single decker running every 20 minutes.

I've travelled a fair few times myself on the X1, and from my own experiences and observations, it is busiest between Birmingham city centre and Sheldon.

Maybe a peak-time frequency increase for the X2 would help instead?

I agree about increasing the X2 in peaks, if an extra X2 was placed 5 minutes before an X1 at the busiest times then the pressure for passengers going beyond Sheldon on an X1 would be reduced

Quote from: Steve3229vp on December 28, 2023, 07:23:18 PMI agree about increasing the X2 in peaks, if an extra X2 was placed 5 minutes before an X1 at the busiest times then the pressure for passengers going beyond Sheldon on an X1 would be reduced

Wonder if a X2a to Cranes Park would work? Like the previously proposed 960 to Cranes Park back when the East Birmingham consultation happened?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

GoldenSquid

In my opinion it'd make sense for X1 shorts (City-Airport) to come back over peak times. 
Local Routes: 14/71/72/94/95/96/97/X12/X13

Steve3229vp

What doesn't help is that the seating capacity on electrics is 8 seats less than a platinum bus, so that's 24 seats less an hour, up to 32 in peaks.

JosephR

I would add a service say, X67 for numbers sake. Have it run on the Aston expressway and come down Tyburn road same as the X12/3. Have it run till holly lane and follow the 96 to the fort parkway. Then the 67 till manby road. Take a left then right onto Kingsbury road then terminate at Asda min worth.

JosephR

Bring back the 68A/C circular, under a new service number that isn't in use. Maybe 69A/C

Quote from: JosephR on April 02, 2024, 09:11:55 PMBring back the 68A/C circular, under a new service number that isn't in use. Maybe 69A/C
Isn't most of the route covered by the 96, 71, 64 today? What new links would that create?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk