News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Opinions on Class 323s

Started by KayP, March 30, 2012, 07:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KayP

I just wanted to know people's opinions on these trains. I quite like them, really quiet, nice design, only improvement I can think of is a refurb, especially on toilets.

davey

I regard them as the Class 150 of the EMU world. You certainly know you're on one when it begins its movement, lights go into 'fizz' mode and the gearbox (if it is a gearbox :S) seems to have endless gears (if they are gears :S). They look smart in the LM livery too.
Long live 4001!
PE Radio Operations - "1540, go ahead"
1540 driver - "The engines died, AGAIN!"

Ossie

I use them a fair bit, and yes, they do the job very nicely especially given the high frequency of the stations on the Cross-City line, but overcrowding is an increasing issue, I think .... are there plans for more 6-car trains?

KayP

I'm pretty sure London Midland have plans for some four-car class 350s, some of which are planned for cross-city peaks.

Quote from: Ossie on April 01, 2012, 09:59:40 PM
I use them a fair bit, and yes, they do the job very nicely especially given the high frequency of the stations on the Cross-City line, but overcrowding is an increasing issue, I think .... are there plans for more 6-car trains?

Tony

I don't think the new 350s will get on the Cross City, I think the plan is to put the 350s on the Walsall-Wolverhamptons and New Street-International shuttle releasing all the 323s to be on the Cross City

KayP

'The remaining three new trains will be used to provide extra capacity on the Cross-City line in Birmingham. They will be used to increase the weekday frequency of peak and off-peak services between Birmingham and Redditch from 2 to 3 trains per hour from December 2014'

That's what it says on the london midland website.

Quote from: Tony on April 02, 2012, 07:19:51 PM
I don't think the new 350s will get on the Cross City, I think the plan is to put the 350s on the Walsall-Wolverhamptons and New Street-International shuttle releasing all the 323s to be on the Cross City

Tony

If you read the full DfT press release about these units at
http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/press-releases/dft-press-20120229/
you will see it says 12 cars (3 units) will help deliver an internal rolling stock cascade that will provide additional capacity on the Cross City line in Birmingham. The frequency of peak and off-peak services between Birmingham and Redditch will be increased from two trains per hour to three trains per hour from December 2014. The trains will also enable electric services from Birmingham New Street to be extended to Bromsgrove from May 2015, assuming that the plan to relocate Bromsgrove Station is confirmed and electrification is completed on schedule.

in other words free up more 323s for the Cross City

Ossie

Some way off, then!  ;D

With regard to the Redditch enhancement, to increase the frequency to 20 minutes, presumably they will just put in a passing loop at Alvechurch, will they?  I assume there's no room at Redditch for a second platform .....

windy miller

I have noticed on several occasions recently the 323 toilet has been"locked out" on football saturdays
is this common practise on other services?
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Phil

I travel on the 323's fairly regually, and I have to say I like them. There smooth, cofortable, and fairly spacious, and the best thing about is the noise they make at the start. Only thing to question is there reliabillity, numerous times, they seem quite late, espicially early morning rush hour

I know the Wasall - Birmingham - Wolverhampton line, which is run by class 323 are quite often late, but not massively. I can't comment on the CrossCity line too much, but it's always on time when I catch it, about 4/5 times

Ash

I think the reason there quite late is that there on services with alot of stops so would find it harder to make time up, also the Walsall service comes from Wolverhampton which can easily be delayed from late running (cross country, virgin and arriva services)

Badger

The stopper normally seems to be the one sacrificed when any other services are late.

Personally I love 323s most of the time. I would not like to use one for a long service (there are rumours they will be used on a Manchester to Birmingham service when the WCML review comes around), but for what they're currently used for, short journeys within the west midlands, they're perfect. Relatively comfortable, nice seating layout for families, light interior and in my opinion a great unique sound.
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

They're great for stopping services - mine of which never seems to be on time  >:( (Birmingham to Wolverhampton)

I don't think they would be good for long services, for 1, their highest speed is 90 mph, secondly, they're like 20 years old and for a service like Manchester to birmingham there will be demand for first class, and the 323s don't provide that. LM are getting some new desiros soon, but I think they're being used to increase capacity from Birmingham to London

Quote from: Badger on May 28, 2012, 10:52:54 AM
The stopper normally seems to be the one sacrificed when any other services are late.

Personally I love 323s most of the time. I would not like to use one for a long service (there are rumours they will be used on a Manchester to Birmingham service when the WCML review comes around), but for what they're currently used for, short journeys within the west midlands, they're perfect. Relatively comfortable, nice seating layout for families, light interior and in my opinion a great unique sound.

windy miller

Badger-I have only ever seen ONE 323 on a manchester service (in New st) -that was about 10 years ago-well before the desiros were introduced-One of the Longsight sets (blue/white) I think it may have been an emergency relacement for a failed Centro service.It obviously worked straight back to Piccadilly.Never seen one since (gmpt) that is. I wouldn't fancy a long distance service in one. I travel on the X city line a fair bit-as you say,Its not the worst service- I would have said the walsall-wolves 323 service was a lot less reliable- as I found out recently >:(might av bin quicker on the bus from walsall!)
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk