News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Bus on fire at Morrisons, Rubery

Started by winston, May 14, 2014, 03:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sh4318

Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

John

4336 was completely burned to the ground

You can still see the patch of replaced tarmac on the A45 where it caught fire

Stu

Getting back to topic, on ye olde Facebook it's been annoying reading some of the comments left on Birmingham Updates posts, basically along the lines of "too many fires, never catching the bus again", "do they not maintain vehicles" etc etc.

It's quite sad that there is this public perception. Anyone would think that all 1500 of NX's buses were ready to catch fire any second!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stu on May 14, 2014, 08:23:07 PM
Getting back to topic, on ye olde Facebook it's been annoying reading some of the comments left on Birmingham Updates posts, basically along the lines of "too many fires, never catching the bus again", "do they not maintain vehicles" etc etc.

It's quite sad that there is this public perception. Anyone would think that all 1500 of NX's buses were ready to catch fire any second!

The thing is that the more buses you operate, the higher the risk that one will catch fire. And the good thing (if there can be a good thing about a fire) is that nobody has been injured.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Liberator9

Quote from: John on May 14, 2014, 06:36:11 PM
Quote from: Liberator9 on May 14, 2014, 06:34:07 PM
Well at least it didn't happen to a refurbished trident  ;) Was it in service at the time and I trust everyone is alright?

Was on a 63 at the time, no injuries

Thanks John; glad to hear.

Mike K

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on May 14, 2014, 08:29:52 PM

The thing is that the more buses you operate, the higher the risk that one will catch fire. And the good thing (if there can be a good thing about a fire) is that nobody has been injured.

When you consider the long hours modern buses operate, and the mileage they cover, occasional engine fires are unsurprising. They've happened for years, I recall seeing Fleetlines and Metrobuses suffering engine fires but generally you only knew about them if they were local to you. But in these days of online and social media, news about them spreads like wild fire, if you'll pardon the pun.

trident4370

LS just so you know I had 2 emails mentioning this topic and me being tagged, when I got here just no comment was found but if you were testing the +1 in profile and emails then they worked!

nitromatt1

Quote from: trident4370 on May 14, 2014, 11:05:25 PM
LS just so you know I had 2 emails mentioning this topic and me being tagged, when I got here just no comment was found but if you were testing the +1 in profile and emails then they worked!

Yeah your username was used in testing, although I think @Sh4318 asked you a question first

trident4370

Quote from: Matt on May 14, 2014, 11:14:42 PM
Quote from: trident4370 on May 14, 2014, 11:05:25 PM

Yeah your username was used in testing, although I think @Sh4318 asked you a question first

haha my fault for not coming on to see what was going on, nice new feature though I can see it being handy in the "buses to find" section.

lauren1993

One less trident = one less problem. The main thing is nobody got hurt :)
Favourite buses currently:
871, 1828, 4421, 4764, 6101, 6108, 6116, 6118, 6121, 6848, 6849
Least favourite buses currently:
4203, 4213, 4398, 4419

Buz89

Don't the presidents seem to have more of a chance of catching fire? Especially the ones ran on the 11.

don

Quote from: Mike K on May 14, 2014, 09:15:46 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on May 14, 2014, 08:29:52 PM

When you consider the long hours modern buses operate, and the mileage they cover, occasional engine fires are unsurprising. They've happened for years, I recall seeing Fleetlines and Metrobuses suffering engine fires but generally you only knew about them if they were local to you. But in these days of online and social media, news about them spreads like wild fire, if you'll pardon the pun.

This is true but they do appear to have become a more frequent occurrence in the last couple of years, especially the more catastrophic ones resulting in vehicles being written off.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

wbdriver

just found this on facebook - don't know if its the same bus:

an empty bus is a happy driver.

the trainbasher

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Quote from: wbdriver on May 21, 2014, 03:56:42 PM
just found this on facebook - don't know if its the same bus:

Reckon if this was  Y reg Trident it would definitely be toast, pardon the pun, but looking at that its going to need quite an extensive repair, we'll wait and see what happens!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk