News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Perry Barr Garage

Started by 6013, July 22, 2013, 09:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C Driver

4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

winston

Quote from: Tony on January 22, 2018, 07:32:36 PM
The council refused to allow Miller Street to be closed to make a decent sized garage covering both sides, even though at the time NX were willing to buy all the land right up to Newtown Row so no-one else needed access. TWM had already bought the buildings on the back of Miller Street that front New John Street (I was based there in  the Travelcard dept for a time) and what is now the top yard as part of the process of doing this.

I seem to remember viewing the planning application showing the proposed new Miller Street depot.

winston

Quote from: monkeyjoe on January 22, 2018, 08:00:36 PM
Does it mean a number of redundancies too then?

Unlikely to be that many, as the overall operational fleet size won't change much if at all. I guess it depends what the plan is

monkeyjoe

Is it one of the oldest garages then?

busfan2847

Quote from: monkeyjoe on January 22, 2018, 08:21:21 PM
Is it one of the oldest garages then?
AG (6/28), WB (11/29) and parts of WA are older (5/1915).

PB opened 16/2/1932

markcf83

Out of interest,is the former Rotala garage in Aston still available to use as a replacement for Perry Barr? And what is the capacity of it?
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

winston

Quote from: markcf83 on January 23, 2018, 07:12:12 PM
Out of interest,is the former Rotala garage in Aston still available to use as a replacement for Perry Barr? And what is the capacity of it?

No, it has new owners that have re-developed it for alternative use.

Tony

Quote from: Winston on January 23, 2018, 07:39:27 PM
No, it has new owners that have re-developed it for alternative use.

Western Power have that.

The replacement Perry Barr garage will be a brand new garage built from scratch so that it is exactly what is needed, not sure why everyone is looking at previous bus garage sites. They shut for a reason.

monkeyjoe

Wonder if their is land off the A47 by pass by Star city etc?

Quote from: monkeyjoe on January 23, 2018, 07:55:55 PM
Wonder if their is land off the A47 by pass by Star city etc?
Looking at google maps, the only bit of empty land near the A47 is the large site that is the old LDV Factory on the Washwood Heath Road that stretches back to the A47 and HS2 have got that, haven't they?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: 2206 on January 23, 2018, 08:08:02 PM
Looking at google maps, the only bit of empty land near the A47 is the large site that is the old LDV Factory on the Washwood Heath Road that stretches back to the A47 and HS2 have got that, haven't they?

That's where the HS2 depot is being built. The old MCW factory next door is also being demolished for it

John

My bet is the old dairy site on the Aldridge Road opposite Wickes and the Central Bus garage. At least twice the size of the current garage

Stu

Quote from: Tony on January 23, 2018, 07:54:39 PM
The replacement Perry Barr garage will be a brand new garage built from scratch so that it is exactly what is needed, not sure why everyone is looking at previous bus garage sites. They shut for a reason.

I've seen the plans for the redevelopment of West Bromwich, which would mean NX having to relocate their West Brom garage. What would be the prospects of a new 'super-garage' being located and built in reasonable proximity to replace both garages do you think?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on January 23, 2018, 08:53:49 PM
I've seen the plans for the redevelopment of West Bromwich, which would mean NX having to relocate their West Brom garage. What would be the prospects of a new 'super-garage' being located and built in reasonable proximity to replace both garages do you think?

Nil

Jordan

Can i ask why perry bar bus garage is gonna close
my local routes are:

NXWM: 72 72A 17 73
igo 99
sunny travel 71E
r.k. travel 72 and further down the road the 73

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk