News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Coventry Garage

Started by 6013, July 22, 2013, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoNi

What an ideal opportunity for a test bed for a statutory bus partnership in two adjacent counties. You could call it "County Lines"!

winston

Quote from: sandboy20 on January 10, 2020, 04:34:10 PM
I would imagine Stagecoach will take the 20 xtension very seriously. Given that
the route will be pretty saturated I wouldn't have thought they would run more buses
but there is certainly plenty of scope for them to cut fares. Currently, a Nuneaton
dayrider plus, which gives travel as far as Coventry City centre, is £8.10 - double what
NX would be. Stagecoach, perhaps in readiness for xtra competition, have already
reduced the price of their Coventry daysaver to £3.50 until end February (was £4.50).
Personally, I am a bit disappointed that they didn't consider at least one an hour xtension
of the 16 from Keresley to Bedworth/Nuneaton as long as it followed the route of the
defunct Stagecoach route 57.

I'm sure Stagecoach will take the competition very seriously if some of their fares are double a NXC daysaver. Even more so, it will be interesting to see how much they can suddenly justify dropping their dayriders prices too

Tony

Quote from: Winston on January 10, 2020, 04:15:48 PM
Provides a useful source to move spare B7RLE's to.

Coventry already has more singles that they ideally want. This means 2 2002 tridents getting a stay of execution

winston

Quote from: Tony on January 10, 2020, 05:11:19 PM
Coventry already has more singles that they ideally want. This means 2 2002 tridents getting a stay of execution

Same with most depots, NX could do with buying a bus operation that needs an influx of single deckers to allow for future cascades.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Winston on January 10, 2020, 04:44:56 PM
I'm sure Stagecoach will take the competition very seriously if some of their fares are double a NXC daysaver. Even more so, if will be interesting to see how much they can suddenly justify dropping their dayriders prices too

I'm sure you're right, although Stagecoach 48 is every 10 minutes through to Nuneaton compared to NXC 20 being every 20 minutes.

Stagecoach X17 and X18 have charged below-standard fares between Coventry and Leamington for many years (currently £4 adult single, £4.70 adult return according to the website), no doubt because of NXC, so I imagine there's a good chance that some 48 fares will fall.

I have no doubt that Stagecoach won't take the 20 extension lying down, but equally I have no doubt that NX know what they are doing.

Sandy Lane

Coventry East side. Remember a while back when NXC started competing with the 86 and sending the 3 (was it the 3?) out of the city to Binley Woods? Could it happen again with the Warwickshire Shop Park 23 route being extended?

winston

Quote from: Sandy Lane on January 10, 2020, 05:52:53 PM
Coventry East side. Remember a while back when NXC started competing with the 86 and sending the 3 (was it the 3?) out of the city to Binley Woods? Could it happen again with the Warwickshire Shop Park 23 route being extended?

I'd have thought that NXC may be limited on how much they could potentially expand by the size of the existing Wheatly Street allocation, the current allocation seems already higher than it has been for a long time, not sure what max capacity is?

Tony

This is the exact wording of the staff announcement

And on 27 Jan we're launching a new service to Nuneaton, extending the Coventry route 20. This will provide new links between a fast-growing town and one of the fastest-growing cities in the UK; all for our low (and frozen) fares.

So it does look like no surcharges onto standard Coventry fares

If this service is going to Nuneaton, is the 11 to Warwick also happening then?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

paulb1973

Quote from: Sandy Lane on January 10, 2020, 05:52:53 PM

The old 3 & 4 was extended to Brandon/Binley Woods, and at the other end of the route, Bedworth at various times in the past - not totally sure at the same time though.

paulb1973

Looking at the NXC website the extended 20 traverses (after Mill St, Bedworth)...Leicester Road, B4113 Coventry Road, Coton Road, Vicarage Street, Back Street, Nuneaton Bus Station and returns in an anti-clockwise direction from Nuneaton Bus Station via Newtown Road, Roanne Ringway, Coton Road, B4113 Coventry Road, Leicester Road and back to Mill Street. Although it is not an area I'm totally familiar with.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: paulb1973 on January 10, 2020, 07:26:03 PM
Looking at the NXC website the extended 20 traverses (after Mill St, Bedworth)...Leicester Road, B4113 Coventry Road, Coton Road, Vicarage Street, Back Street, Nuneaton Bus Station and returns in an anti-clockwise direction from Nuneaton Bus Station via Newtown Road, Roanne Ringway, Coton Road, B4113 Coventry Road, Leicester Road and back to Mill Street. Although it is not an area I'm totally familiar with.

This is actually the normal route followed by services from the south into and out of Nuneaton.

The forthcoming 20 timetable and map is now on the NXC website - https://nxbus.co.uk/coventry/information/service-changes/new-20-route-extension-to-nuneaton

paulb1973

Quote from: Winston on January 10, 2020, 06:12:28 PM
I'd have thought that NXC may be limited on how much they could potentially expand by the size of the existing Wheatly Street allocation, the current allocation seems already higher than it has been for a long time, not sure what max capacity is?

In Jan 1987, 191 buses were based at WT - so including the current 170 based now (+ NX coaches) there's room for a few more I should think!

paulb1973

Quote from: Justin Tyme on January 10, 2020, 08:19:13 PM
This is actually the normal route followed by services from the south into and out of Nuneaton.

The forthcoming 20 timetable and map is now on the NXC website - https://nxbus.co.uk/coventry/information/service-changes/new-20-route-extension-to-nuneaton

No separate service number for Nuneaton journeys (bearing in mind service 20 as far as Bedworth still run) I note. So no '20D' or even a 20N.

winston

Quote from: paulb1973 on January 10, 2020, 08:20:53 PM
In Jan 1987, 191 buses were based at WT - so including the current 170 based now (+ NX coaches) there's room for a few more I should think!

That depends on what the 191 allocation was made up of, B7RLE's are longer @ 12M than any Nationals / Fleetlines  / Metrobuses etc, then buses aren't parked so tightly together in depots these days due to health & safety, there's dedicated marked parking lanes with much wider gaps between parked buses which will also reduce capacity slightly. Not sure who much is already parked outside/up the side overnight.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk