News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Routes that need a change, what you would change and why?

Started by Sh4318, July 09, 2013, 10:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sh4318

Which service(s) requires a change (whether it be frequency, route, bus type etc) and why do they require this change?
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Kevin

Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Andrew1991

X96 - i think it needs to be curtailed back to Dudley bus station, it seems to have gotten unreliable since it was extended to the wrens nest. I have also noticed on many occaisions that it often comes into dudley bus station with passengers on but is empty by time it loads at stand s. I think it also needs new buses as it is a very popular service, either double deckers at the same frequency or new single deck buses at an every 10 - 15 min frequency.

276 - could do with deckers, maybe some 276E journeys. New buses would be nice but maybe that'll happen next year.

126 - could do with some new buses as it serves 2 cities and a large town & has high passenger numbers

223 - nx need to take it back from arriva, mainly because im sick of my house shaking and plumes of black smoke blowing past my house lol

lynx1103

Walsall

Remove scania s and use Volvo B7RLE and this service is busy service . Retime all journeys evening /Sundays/daytime.

Circulate route Walsall-Bloxwich
Withdraw Trevor Road/Field Lane

Re-instate 560 Bloxwich-Wolverhampton

20 min Mon-sat daytime more running time improving service reliability.

Run Birmingham-Streetly hardwick arms

Extra buses evenings every 20 min

NXWM Spectra

Quote from: lynx1103 on July 09, 2013, 11:49:54 AM
Remove scania s and use Volvo B7RLE and this service is busy service . Retime all journeys evening /Sundays/daytime.

Why take the Omnilinks off?

lynx1103

Doors on scanias are too slow. Interlock system will not real ease until doors are completely shut. 1889 being the slowest 15 seconds

Ash

Quote from: lynx1103 on July 09, 2013, 04:48:08 PM
Doors on scanias are too slow. Interlock system will not real ease until doors are completely shut. 1889 being the slowest 15 seconds

I doubt it takes 15 seconds to close think how much time this bus would add on to a journey lets say 20 stops thats 5 minutes, the omnilinks are newer vehicles compared to the b7rle's and hold the same capacity.

Kevin

Quote from: Ash on July 09, 2013, 05:07:31 PM

I doubt it takes 15 seconds to close think how much time this bus would add on to a journey

Debatable, not sure if it's specific buses or just the drivers being a bit retarded and hitting the wrong pedal but I used to dread having to catch an Omnilink (still not a fan but learning to deal with them) because the doors would close slowly (as they all do), then open and close again just as slowly... and on some journeys that was at every stop, ergo 10 minutes late

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Andrew on July 09, 2013, 11:34:46 AM
X96 - i think it needs to be curtailed back to Dudley bus station, it seems to have gotten unreliable since it was extended to the wrens nest. I have also noticed on many occaisions that it often comes into dudley bus station with passengers on but is empty by time it loads at stand s. I think it also needs new buses as it is a very popular service, either double deckers at the same frequency or new single deck buses at an every 10 - 15 min frequency.

276 - could do with deckers, maybe some 276E journeys. New buses would be nice but maybe that'll happen next year.

126 - could do with some new buses as it serves 2 cities and a large town & has high passenger numbers

223 - nx need to take it back from arriva, mainly because im sick of my house shaking and plumes of black smoke blowing past my house lol

Like your suggestions.

Think the 126 does need new buses & hopefully might get them next year along with the 11A/C.

With the X96, i don't think the Dudley - Wrens Nest extention works, although i don't quite know what route could replace it (bring back the 206/7?).
The X96 should be a 12 minute frequency all day operated with B7RLEs.

The 276 is also a busy route and as you say, it could do with double deckers, or operate it as a 15 minute service with Mercs.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

sonic84

Something needs to be done with the X64 since it appears to be dying a slow death at the moment.

I would say to curtail it at New Street station since this is where the majority of Bristol Road users associate with being the first last stop for the corridor.  This might help improve reliability without impacting on passenger numbers.

It then needs to either become a proper limited stop service calling at a few key places up to Selly Oak... (New Street, O2 Academy, Belgrave Middleway, Priory Road Interchange, University, Selly Oak Station, Selly Oak), or it needs to become an all stops.

I would suggest curtailing the route at Merrits Brook or Newman College, since for anyone living in the Frankley area the 61 is a quicker route into Birmingham anyway.

Finally the frequency should be increased to every 20 minutes again, or introduce short journeys to Weoley Castle creating a 15 minute frequency between Weoley Castle and Birmingham New Street.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: sonic84 on July 09, 2013, 08:26:15 PM
Something needs to be done with the X64 since it appears to be dying a slow death at the moment.

I would say to curtail it at New Street station since this is where the majority of Bristol Road users associate with being the first last stop for the corridor.  This might help improve reliability without impacting on passenger numbers.

It then needs to either become a proper limited stop service calling at a few key places up to Selly Oak... (New Street, O2 Academy, Belgrave Middleway, Priory Road Interchange, University, Selly Oak Station, Selly Oak), or it needs to become an all stops.

I would suggest curtailing the route at Merrits Brook or Newman College, since for anyone living in the Frankley area the 61 is a quicker route into Birmingham anyway.

Finally the frequency should be increased to every 20 minutes again, or introduce short journeys to Weoley Castle creating a 15 minute frequency between Weoley Castle and Birmingham New Street.

I think you're on to something there.

I understand the need for a Bristol Road limited stop but I don't think it'll be gaining anything from applying it limited. It should be an all stopper to take the strain off 61/63 services.

It should be renumbered to 62 I think to tidy up the numberings. (You want free ring ding?)

Another alternative is to extend it through to Snow Hill, call it the 21 and stick it on the Weoley Castle rota he he he...

I can't see the Great Park rota lasting much longer with the way things are going. (They could easily implement the x64 to WC and 99 to HB and 98 to BR). From the tone in the garage there's going to be big rota change(s) coming up.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Kevin on July 09, 2013, 06:42:41 PM
Quote from: Ash on July 09, 2013, 05:07:31 PM

I doubt it takes 15 seconds to close think how much time this bus would add on to a journey

Debatable, not sure if it's specific buses or just the drivers being a bit retarded and hitting the wrong pedal but I used to dread having to catch an Omnilink (still not a fan but learning to deal with them) because the doors would close slowly (as they all do), then open and close again just as slowly... and on some journeys that was at every stop, ergo 10 minutes late

I can believe 15 seconds. I was on a 17 and it was at least 20 seconds of the doors going limp and can't decide if it wants to be closed or open! (I hate the sound of the doors as well, like a weird gas strut piston used in torture chambers or roller coasters)
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Kevin

Quote from: sonic84 on July 09, 2013, 08:26:15 PM

Lets face it I dont think anyone is going to argue the X64 needs to become just a 64 from the city centre to weoley castle / bartley green. The job of being an express route belongs to a route that covers the whole length of the Bristol Road (ie an X63) or services through to Bromsgrove

Westy

Quote from: NXWM Spectra on July 09, 2013, 04:30:12 PM
Quote from: lynx1103 on July 09, 2013, 11:49:54 AM

Why take the Omnilinks off?

If you use the B7's on both 301 & 302, you could brand them up 'Every Few Minutes Between Walsall & Bloxwich Monday To Saturday Daytimes' !

danny

you could do that with the newer scanias though, walsall has enouth of. them, just cant see how down grading a flagship route is a step forward, maybe an upgrade to the b7rle 2 at some point,
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk