News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Routes That Need An Evening/Sunday Service? (Any West Midlands operator)

Started by Sh4318, July 09, 2013, 10:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sh4318

Which routes require an evening and/or Sunday service that don't currently have one?
I would love to see an evening and Sunday service on the 129, although it would probably never happen
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Trident 4609

NXWM Spectra

Quote from: Trident 4609 on July 09, 2013, 04:42:25 PM
WA 69 needs a sunday service i think

I thought about an hourly service between Wednesfield and Walsall, but thinking on rough calculations and a 35 minute journey time, it would be waiting for so long that it would need to interwork. I included 5 minutes layover at Wednesfield but forgot to add any in Walsall.

Board Number  69/01  69/02  69/03
Walsall                 09:00  10:00  11:00
Wednesfield        09:35  10:35  11:35
Walsall                10:15  11:15  12:15

I did it to Wednesfield because not only because it would need another bus, but from there there is a number of services to Wolverhampton. It would take a few minutes to turn around in Wednesfield somewhere. Would cut costs of not going into Wolverhampton Bus Station.

Stu

Quote from: Shaun4166 on July 09, 2013, 10:50:32 AM
Which routes require an evening and/or Sunday service that don't currently have one?
I would love to see an evening and Sunday service on the 129, although it would probably never happen

The 447 (which the 129 replaced) never used to run evenings and Sundays either. But back then the 448 (now 48) pretty much covered most of the 447 route anyway.

I don't know whether the 129 would really benefit from having additional journeys, or whether there is sufficient demand for it, I guess if that had been the case then it would have been introduced with those journeys.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

notepanel

Quote from: NXWM Spectra on July 09, 2013, 05:35:03 PM
Quote from: Trident 4609 on July 09, 2013, 04:42:25 PM
WA 69 needs a sunday service i think

I thought about an hourly service between Wednesfield and Walsall, but thinking on rough calculations and a 35 minute journey time, it would be waiting for so long that it would need to interwork. I included 5 minutes layover at Wednesfield but forgot to add any in Walsall.

Board Number  69/01  69/02  69/03
Walsall                 09:00  10:00  11:00
Wednesfield        09:35  10:35  11:35
Walsall                10:15  11:15  12:15

I did it to Wednesfield because not only because it would need another bus, but from there there is a number of services to Wolverhampton. It would take a few minutes to turn around in Wednesfield somewhere. Would cut costs of not going into Wolverhampton Bus Station.

Rather than Wednesfield, it may be easier to terminate at New Cross and have it serve the hospital grounds on Sundays only.

Possibly slightly more realistic in terms of a new link and vehicles required would be to operate Walsall - Coppice Farm Estate (performing a loop between New Invention & Coppice Farm). That would fit nicely into an hourly timetable.

That said, in terms of improving on what is currently offered, I would completely the change the current evening/Sunday service on the 40 & 41 (and I know this goes against what was trying to be achieved at the review!)

I would replace the 40 during these periods with a new service following the current 40 route until near enough Willenhall town centre, but would instead turn right at the junction with St Annes Road. It would then turn right at the end of the road onto Ashmore Lake Way (as if a 41 towards Walsall) and loop Coppice Farm & New Invention Square before returning back to Walsall. This journey could fit nicely into an hourly frequency using one bus.

I would then have the 41 operate the full current route (as in serving New Invention & Poets Estates) but operating only between Walsall & New Invention Square. Again, this could be operated using just one bus as currently.

I don't believe there is much need for a bus service into Willenhall town centre on evenings & Sundays from the local estates, and with the 70 these routes would cover most of the 69 route (as far as Coppice Farm), and the vast majority of places currently served by the current services, but with additional places also getting a Sunday & Evening service.

sonic84

Not a NXWM service but definately think that the 002 Weoley Castle - Merry Hill should be trialled again on a sunday.  Especially since it is the quickest route from Halesowen to Merry Hill.

I know a sunday service was tried several years back when Diamond took over ludlows but the frequency was crazy.  I believe it was every 90 minutes (providing a 45 frequency with the 004) , and not very well publicised either since the Mon-Sat service was being run from the Coombes Wood depot and the sunday service from tividale.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: sonic84 on July 09, 2013, 07:34:35 PM
Not a NXWM service but definately think that the 002 Weoley Castle - Merry Hill should be trialled again on a sunday.  Especially since it is the quickest route from Halesowen to Merry Hill.

I know a sunday service was tried several years back when Diamond took over ludlows but the frequency was crazy.  I believe it was every 90 minutes (providing a 45 frequency with the 004) , and not very well publicised either since the Mon-Sat service was being run from the Coombes Wood depot and the sunday service from tividale.

What about a later  002 in the evening during the week, last departure from MH to Weoley Castle is 17:40 with shorts to Halesowen at 18:00 and 18:40.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

sonic84

Yeah, think an evening service could work too - even if it was only hourly.  Was surprised Diamond didn't trial it when they went full blaze with the advertising and promotion for the upgrading of the service to every 15 minutes.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: sonic84 on July 09, 2013, 07:48:01 PM
Yeah, think an evening service could work too - even if it was only hourly.  Was surprised Diamond didn't trial it when they went full blaze with the advertising and promotion for the upgrading of the service to every 15 minutes.

To me though, this is where NE miss out, if Diamond don't want to provide an evening & Sunday service on the 002, why don't they try it!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

sonic84

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 09, 2013, 07:58:07 PM

To me though, this is where NE miss out, if Diamond don't want to provide an evening & Sunday service on the 002, why don't they try it!

I agree, although I can't think of any situations where NXWM provide an evening or sunday service where they are not the main Mon-Sat daytime operator.  You are right, in that they are limiting themselves.

Dylan4579

Quote from: sonic84 on July 09, 2013, 08:27:35 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 09, 2013, 07:58:07 PM
I agree, although I can't think of any situations where NXWM provide an evening or sunday service where they are not the main Mon-Sat daytime operator.  You are right, in that they are limiting themselves.
The 56

hartshill busman 724210

Quote from: sonic84 on July 09, 2013, 07:34:35 PM

Just a point of order since the re route Hansons 004 is now the quickest most direct route to Merry Hill from Halesowen.

sonic84

Ah, so it is.  I was going by the running time between Halesowen and Merry Hill when ludlows used to run it, which was 15 minutes on both the 002 and 004. My mistake.

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

I would love NXWM to start on the 002, it would make my commute so much easier and cheaper and think they would do very well as quite a few passengers use it to get themselves onto the 9 route, 241 and other Halesowen services, so go on PE, keep the B6's going a bit longer that will soon become spare and give it a go!

Gareth

As the 56 mentioned above is only an evening and Sunday service, I'm assuming it must be another one and not BC56?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk