News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Driver Uniforms

Started by Pat, April 24, 2019, 03:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

I have seen some operators who don't issue drivers with a company uniform. Personally, I think this gives an unprofessional appearance to customers. What are people's views on this?

markcf83

It looks untidy and unprofessional.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Stephen Parry

From my perspective as a passenger.

I think it does give an unprofessional appearance.

On a deep level, I want to know that a bus operator takes the role seriously. And has a commitment to running not a decent bus service, but a good one. If he/she can't even be arsed to organise a uniform for staff, how committed are they to running a good bus service?

It feels very cowboy-like.

It manifests in different ways, different industries. Would you want to visit a fly-by-night bank who set up facilities in a grotty old shop and couldn't even be arsed to give their staff a uniform? Or an airline?

To me, a uniform, and clean buses, shows that the operator isn't a cowboy/fly-by-night operator - and takes the role seriously. I feel there have been cowboy operators (in the minority, thankfully) and a lack of uniform is just one part of what makes them stand out. I'm not saying the individual drivers are cowboys, but the operator seems to want to do everything on the cheap. And it isn't just about uniforms, clean buses are important, too. I've seen some that could use a good wash.

I miss North Birmingham Busways. Great colours, clean buses, professional drivers, smart uniforms, etc. It sets a good example.

Stu

Reading through the various AQPS documents for Birmingham, Solihull and Wolverhampton, it does state under 'Driver Standards':

QuoteAll drivers must be provided with an appropriate uniform and operators shall use
reasonable endeavours to ensure that this is worn on duty and maintained in a clean
and tidy condition to promote a professional appearance

So operators running services that operate within these AQPS areas should be providing their drivers with uniforms, and if not then they are in breach of the AQPS standards requirements.

But on the other hand, operators that do not run services within those areas don't really have any obligation to do so.

Personally I'm not really bothered what the driver is wearing, as long as the vehicle is being driven safely and to the scheduled timetable. But I do agree that it looks far more professional when drivers are wearing some kind of uniform, and workwear isn't always that expensive to supply.

Links to AQPS documents are here: https://www.tfwm.org.uk/operations/bus-alliance/
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

DJ

Quote from: Stu on April 24, 2019, 07:00:55 PM
Reading through the various AQPS documents for Birmingham, Solihull and Wolverhampton, it does state under 'Driver Standards':

So operators running services that operate within these AQPS areas should be providing their drivers with uniforms, and if not then they are in breach of the AQPS standards requirements.

But on the other hand, operators that do not run services within those areas don't really have any obligation to do so.

Personally I'm not really bothered what the driver is wearing, as long as the vehicle is being driven safely and to the scheduled timetable. But I do agree that it looks far more professional when drivers are wearing some kind of uniform, and workwear isn't always that expensive to supply.

Links to AQPS documents are here: https://www.tfwm.org.uk/operations/bus-alliance/

It seems a bit vague though, as what would constitute an 'appropriate uniform'? If the company's uniform policy is to just wear a shirt and trousers, then wouldn't that technically count?

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Stu

Quote from: StourValley98 on April 24, 2019, 07:04:26 PM
It seems a bit vague though, as what would constitute an 'appropriate uniform'? If the company's uniform policy is to just wear a shirt and trousers, then wouldn't that technically count?

The key is in the word 'uniform' ;)

As in all employees wear the same clothes. It could be blue shirts with embroidered logos, or plain grey polo shirts. As long as all employees wear the same clothing, then it is 'uniform'.

Look at a delivery company like UPS, their 'uniform' is brown shirts with brown shorts (in the USA at least). If you had a bus company where all their drivers wore pink string vests, that could be classed as a 'uniform', whether it would be considered 'appropriate' might be another matter though.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stephen Parry

Now I have visions of pink string vests!

It isn't the most important thing. In theory, a company with the smartest uniforms in the world could run a bad service while a company that didn't have uniforms might run the best service.

But it's just the cowboy mindset that I find disconcerting. Not just with bus operators, but there are people in this world who just want to seem to do the bare minimum at the cheapest price - and standards be damned. That could apply to a bus operator or a fast food franchisee. When I see operators with smart uniforms and cleaner buses, it is at least part of an indication of quality.

Stuharris 6360

Think I may have mentioned this in another thread, but seeing a driver in a uniform is a very satisfying experience.

It provides a standard image and a reassurance for passengers, after all a driver who is seen in jeans and tee shirt may well be a driver or could just be someone the company has pulled off the street to cover for a staff shortage etc:
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

sryan188

You can get branded polo shirts for around £5 each (so if you have 20 drivers with 3 shirts each that is £300 - £15 a driver) so there is no excuse for not having a driver branded up.
It just shows an operator does not care about appearance. If they don't care about that what else do they not care about or cut corners in.

Stephen Parry

Quote from: sryan188 on April 25, 2019, 06:33:20 PMIt just shows an operator does not care about appearance. If they don't care about that what else do they not care about or cut corners in.

That's the golden question. What else do they not care about or cut corners in?

Laziness in one area can be found in another. Having mainly done clerical work in my life, it's no coincidence that the incompetent ones (a minority, thankfully) had extremely messy desks or were often ten minutes late for work.

As a passenger, I feel that if you can't be bothered to even provide a uniform that allows your drivers to be representatives, then who's to say you care about keeping the buses clean? Or conforming to minor regulations? Or responding to customer queries?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk