News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

289 suggestion

Started by Sh4318, June 13, 2013, 01:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sh4318

I have a suggestion on what could be done with the 289, because at the moment, it is dying, I got it and I was the only passenger to Old Hill. Feel free to shoot me down.

I would further curtail the 289, so it only operates between either Rowley Regis Hospital and West Bromwich, or Blackheath and West Bromwich, so it can act as a local service to West Bromwich for those living in Rowley Village, Lion Farm & Portway.

Then I would extend the 205 to either Old Hill or Merry Hill, giving Brickhouse Farm a route to Dudley, maintaining a direct service to Blackheath, and in the Dudley Wood area retaining a service to Blackheath.

That's just my suggestion anyway, feel free to shoot me down but I don't see much point terminating a route in Old Hill
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

winston

Quote from: Shaun on June 13, 2013, 01:53:59 PM
I have a suggestion on what could be done with the 289, because at the moment, it is dying, I got it and I was the only passenger to Old Hill. Feel free to shoot me down.

I would further curtail the 289, so it only operates between either Rowley Regis Hospital and West Bromwich, or Blackheath and West Bromwich, so it can act as a local service to West Bromwich for those living in Rowley Village, Lion Farm & Portway.

Then I would extend the 205 to either Old Hill or Merry Hill, giving Brickhouse Farm a route to Dudley, maintaining a direct service to Blackheath, and in the Dudley Wood area retaining a service to Blackheath.

That's just my suggestion anyway, feel free to shoot me down but I don't see much point terminating a route in Old Hill

That's not a bad call,

I'd have thought Cradley Heath interchange would have been a better place to terminate the 289

Sh4318

Quote from: Winston on June 13, 2013, 02:36:23 PM
Quote from: Shaun on June 13, 2013, 01:53:59 PM

That's not a bad call,

I'd have thought Cradley Heath interchange would have been a better place to terminate the 289

I agree, either the Interchange or at least High St. I hope, eventually something happens to reinstate the NXWM link between Brickhouse Farm and Merry Hill

Kevin

Personally... I'd say bring back the 258, direct route for people in that area to Birmingham, perhaps rerouted slightly to make it even more direct (ie, same route as 140 between Blackheath and the city)
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

sonic84

I think that the 289 should be cut back to run to Rowley Regis Hospital or Blackheath only,and then extend the 127 to Merry Hill via Brickhouse Farm.  I guess pretty much reinstating the 258.

The only other option I can think is if Diamond reroute there 24 service to run from Rowley Regis through Brickhouse Farm and then up towards Dudley

Sh4318

Or extend the 89 to Merry Hill from Blackheath...  ::), I wish, it's long enough. The reason I suggested the 205 to be extended is because the 205 and 208 are similar routes around Dudley, and extending the 205 to Merry Hill would give it that edge over the 208, whether it needs it or not is another thing, but the change would restore the link between Brickhouse Farm and Blackheath, and the 205 runs to Portway, and passengers in Oakham would have a semi-fast service to Merry Hill, that's just what I think anyway, they can't just leave it as the way it is now, surely

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Shaun4166 on June 18, 2013, 11:58:47 PM
Or extend the 89 to Merry Hill from Blackheath...  ::), I wish, it's long enough. The reason I suggested the 205 to be extended is because the 205 and 208 are similar routes around Dudley, and extending the 205 to Merry Hill would give it that edge over the 208, whether it needs it or not is another thing, but the change would restore the link between Brickhouse Farm and Blackheath, and the 205 runs to Portway, and passengers in Oakham would have a semi-fast service to Merry Hill, that's just what I think anyway, they can't just leave it as the way it is now, surely

To me something needs to be done with the 205, since it was extended to Wallheath it has become totally unreliable. It has no time at all at Blackheath & only 1 minute at Wallheath. the amount of times during the day you see 205Es operating is increasing.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

s94

Thing is there is no demand at the Quarry Bank/merry hill end for people to want to go to Sandwell. Halesowen, Stourbridge andMerry hill is much more popular. The 289 won't get extended back - if it's still dead to old hill now it won't be lasting much longer. Maybe just alter one existing route slightly to serve Brickhouse etc. definitely no need for any more West Brom routes at this end.

Sh4318

Quote from: s94 on July 08, 2013, 04:47:55 PM
Thing is there is no demand at the Quarry Bank/merry hill end for people to want to go to Sandwell. Halesowen, Stourbridge andMerry hill is much more popular. The 289 won't get extended back - if it's still dead to old hill now it won't be lasting much longer. Maybe just alter one existing route slightly to serve Brickhouse etc. definitely no need for any more West Brom routes at this end.

That's why I suggested extending the 205 to Merry Hill via old 289 route

bususer12

Quote from: Shaun4166 on July 08, 2013, 05:12:33 PM
Quote from: s94 on July 08, 2013, 04:47:55 PM

That's why I suggested extending the 205 to Merry Hill via old 289 route

Furthermore, if the timetable could fit it, you could make the 205 a circular to Wall Heath going from Merry Hill via the 255 Route replacing the 255E. As a user of the 255 between Wall Heath and Merry Hill, I would value this too.

Kevin

Quote from: bususer12 on July 08, 2013, 08:21:25 PM
Furthermore, if the timetable could fit it, you could make the 205 a circular to Wall Heath going from Merry Hill via the 255 Route replacing the 255E. As a user of the 255 between Wall Heath and Merry Hill, I would value this too.

Bad idea, any sort of circular service that involves Merry Hill AND Dudley town centre is guaranteed to fail
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Sh4318

An alternative would be to send the 243 down Brickhouse Farm, although, this is were to happen, the 289 would still have to run to Old Hill to maintain the link to Blackheath from Brickhouse Farm

MickeyCool36

Tbf I don't think people from Merry Hill or Brierley Hill need to get to Sandwell but neither do Sandwell folk need Netherton or Brierley Hill. I think however Sandwell folk need to get to Merry Hill and currently for many folk cannot get there. I live off Smethwick High Street we have no Merry Hill service, and its so complex to get there, I just don't bother, surely Merry Hill as a major shopping Centre should be trying to attract as many people as possible so it benefits them financially, but currently its not going to happen. Why bother when West Brom right by them has tonnes of new shops? Especially as its hard to get to, Any Merry Hill bus needs direct (more or less, one diversion at the most) service. Currenty the services by me to Blackheath (2.7 miles away) is dreadful, I have family there, the 89 takes 45mins and Blackheath folk need the new hospital and City Rd hospital which with one service is pretty pathetic! Even if a Merry Hill service is there from Birmingham it needs to join the dots so if you want Merry Hill you can, if not and need Blackheath you have a good frequent service, if Oldbury then that, even if its Birmingham via Cape at least other buses like the 87 won't be over burdened and crowded. All buses I know most get off within the next few towns e.g. on the 87 most get off Cape Hill at the most Oldbury and then all change for folk going to Tividale, Dudley town centre whatever. Even on the 4M this happens so its not all the same passengers but is still packed on all sections even if all the folk change halfway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk