News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

More Limited Stop Services

Started by winston, April 14, 2012, 05:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMK

Quote from: Ash on April 29, 2012, 01:55:26 PM
A suggestion of a good limited stop service would be the X529 between Walsall and Wolverhampton the service could run non stop between Walsall and Junction 10 and then stopping at very few then through to Wolverhampton, i think this would be successful as the train takes around 40 minutes as it goes via Birmingham New Street and im sure a limited stop service would be quicker.
That's something I'd like to see.
I believe quite a few people mentioned it during the Bus Review period last year but alas nothing came of it.  :-\
We'll get rid of your bus to Wolves and replace it with one to Walsall instead.......... Oh the joy of a Network Review. -_-

Tony

Quote from: SMK on April 29, 2012, 04:22:46 PM
A suggestion of a good limited stop service would be the X529 between Walsall and Wolverhampton the service could run non stop between Walsall and Junction 10 and then stopping at very few then through to Wolverhampton, i think this would be successful as the train takes around 40 minutes as it goes via Birmingham New Street and im sure a limited stop service would be quicker.
That's something I'd like to see.
I believe quite a few people mentioned it during the Bus Review period last year but alas nothing came of it.  :-\

Yet

Nathan4775

Quote from: wilmotm on April 29, 2012, 01:02:48 PM
Well to do that the frequency of the normal 9 would have to be cut drastically as there just isn't enough Enviro's at PE to facilitate the addition of another route. PE struggle with the 9 as it is and with a PVR of around 21 I think was mentioned you only need a couple of buses to be off the road or break down and then you're stuck. And I personally cannot see the frequency of the normal 9 being touched whatosever. And crucially the most important factor is the train!

it depends on the frequency of the X9, 3 buses an hour at peak times
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

I think peak times could possibly be a problem if a Hagley Road express route were to be added

Lukeee

Bit longer than 40 minuites to be exact  :D

monkeyjoe

In terms of an X529. The 966 i'm sure used to be limted stop between Wolverhampton and Walsall and that went.

In terms of an X80, a similar route used to be the 979, that went.

In terms of a Chelmsley wood route that was the 962 and then later the 994.

Bristol Road had one called the 963.

I think they all used to be branded as Timesaver and had a different livery.

SMK

Quote from: monkeyjoe on April 30, 2012, 08:51:21 AM
In terms of an X529. The 966 i'm sure used to be limted stop between Wolverhampton and Walsall and that went.

Yeah I remember seeing the 966 Timesaver in Wolves when I was a kid.
Rarely caught it (due to it not stopping outside my estate) except for the few times I visited Birmingham Airport.
That must have been one long journey  ;D
We'll get rid of your bus to Wolves and replace it with one to Walsall instead.......... Oh the joy of a Network Review. -_-

Tony

The 966 left Wolverhampton Bus Station, Was non-stop to Willenhall town centre, then non-stop to Walsall, All stops to Sutton Coldfield via the current 366 route, then limited stop to Erdington 6 Ways, all stops to Castle Vale then non-stop via the Collector Road (at 70mph with a good Metro) to Pine Square, then all stops to the Airport. Lovely route to drive.

2911 was one of the first buses fitted with live CCTV and was normally on 966, and Lea Hall had a video of an arse going up & down on the back seat upstairs while ir was going along the Collector Road

I'm pretty sure the train from Wolverhampton to Walsall va New St takes nearly an hour, with the reverse being over an hour

Quote from: Lukeee on April 29, 2012, 11:21:59 PM

winston

You have similar problems if you want to travel by train from Stourbridge Junction / Cradley Heath to destinations such as Walsall, you would need to change trains and it will take you in excess of an hour. It's also 35-40 mins by train to Wolverhampton from the above stations due to having to change trains in Smethwick. I still believe a limited stop express service with higher spec buses could easily compete with the train from areas such as those, if those services were also linked in to serve Merry Hill as well, you could potentially reduce the number of journeys made by car.

Quote from: 4504 on April 30, 2012, 10:45:15 PM
I'm pretty sure the train from Wolverhampton to Walsall va New St takes nearly an hour, with the reverse being over an hour

Nathan4775

Quote from: monkeyjoe on April 30, 2012, 08:51:21 AM

In terms of an X80, a similar route used to be the 979, that went.

In terms of a Chelmsley wood route that was the 962 and then later the 994.

Bristol Road had one called the 963.

Bristol Road now has the X62/X64 which I think are very succesful

Quote from: 4504 on April 29, 2012, 07:49:54 PM
I think peak times could possibly be a problem if a Hagley Road express route were to be added
What makes you say that
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Because of rush hour delays

Quote from: 4504 on April 29, 2012, 07:49:54 PM
What makes you say that
[/quote]

richie

I can imagine an inner-city express route would be very difficilt to maintainyou need clear open streches of road

There is a railway track just outside of Stourbridge Junction, the one going straight, which I think leads to Stafford or Stratford, but is unused by commuter trains

Quote from: winston on April 30, 2012, 11:32:09 PM
You have similar problems if you want to travel by train from Stourbridge Junction / Cradley Heath to destinations such as Walsall, you would need to change trains and it will take you in excess of an hour. It's also 35-40 mins by train to Wolverhampton from the above stations due to having to change trains in Smethwick. I still believe a limited stop express service with higher spec buses could easily compete with the train from areas such as those, if those services were also linked in to serve Merry Hill as well, you could potentially reduce the number of journeys made by car.

Tony

Quote from: 4504 on May 01, 2012, 10:02:54 PM
There is a railway track just outside of Stourbridge Junction, the one going straight, which I think leads to Stafford or Stratford, but is unused by commuter trains

Quote from: winston on April 30, 2012, 11:32:09 PM

At the moment it leads to Brierley Hill Steel terminal, but yes, that is where Centro want to extend the metro down as it goes through Brierley Hill, Dudley, Wednesbury aqnd Walsall, even if the line is derelict between Brierley Hill and Pleck.
It was never officially closed and is currently 'mothballed' which is a bit of a joke. They are just about to reinstate the first half a mile from Peck towards Wednesbury to use as a turn around facility for the coal trains to Rugleley power station from Immingham Docks which currently tun round at Bescot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk