News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Chaserider

Started by Pat, January 06, 2021, 10:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capitalpotter

Quote from: Bob on November 15, 2023, 05:54:21 AM🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Constructive and insightful
Wow. Pot, kettle. You're hardly constructive Bob. You sit on bustimes waiting for a breakdown so you can report on it and then put a lol or laughing emoji at the end as if you think that will give you licence to carry on slating

Bob

Quote from: Capitalpotter on November 15, 2023, 06:46:18 AMWow. Pot, kettle. You're hardly constructive Bob. You sit on bustimes waiting for a breakdown so you can report on it and then put a lol or laughing emoji at the end as if you think that will give you licence to carry on slating

Touche 😜 

Nah on a serious note though, when you say its not the age of the buses etc its how theyre looked after? So its bad maintanence then?

I think the point solonightrider was making sort of was that the 74/826 828 are poss their busiest trunk routes and that if they cant operate them reliably on a daily basis ( i just mean breakdowns obv not traffic issues that cant be helped) cos of the condition of the buses used, then its quite a bad situation etc

Capitalpotter

Quote from: Bob on November 15, 2023, 11:01:23 AMTouche 😜

Nah on a serious note though, when you say its not the age of the buses etc its how theyre looked after? So its bad maintanence then?

I think the point solonightrider was making sort of was that the 74/826 828 are poss their busiest trunk routes and that if they cant operate them reliably on a daily basis ( i just mean breakdowns obv not traffic issues that cant be helped) cos of the condition of the buses used, then its quite a bad situation etc
Chaseriders fleet is a mixed bag as is selects. Select don't seem to have as many problems so I'd assume it's down to not enough maintenance persons not the age of buses. My gripe wasnt about the amount of breakdowns but he stated Chaserider aren't interested in making money. That's absolute BS

Wumpty

Quote from: Wumpty on August 09, 2023, 10:29:21 AMIn most businesses, there's a ratio of people required against the function required. In this case, you need X number of mechanics to service a fleet of Y buses, taking into account preventative maintenance (not yet @Bob  :wink:), ancillary tasks like refurbs, general adhoc maintenance and breakdowns as they happen (and prioritised based on the severity of the breakdown/vehicle type requirement).

Now, I don't know how many engineering staff they employ, though on logic, it would appear that a slightly smaller fleet like Select is maintained with the right ratio of engineers, coupled with a well maintained fleet (regardless of fleet age).

One can only surmise that either the ratio of engineers to fleet and the required maintenance is wrong, or that they inherit a poison chalice of buses that they don't stand a chance of maintaining with their inherent issues. I would like to err on the side of the latter as there are some very talented engineers at Centrebus Group, Chaserider included, and I don't see any of the buses being driven harshly or outside of normal operating parameters.

I get what @Westy is saying, though I don't think anything sinister is afoot - I think it's a combination of all the above factors.
Reading @solonightrider @Capitalpotter @Bob  and many other posts, the quoted text above was my response the last time this subject became fractious.

I do not believe for a minute that Chaserider or Centrebus aren't interested in making money - they are both businesses dependant upon the success of the routes and the fare paying public that use them.

Granted, some of their fleet do leave a lot to be desired and I completely understand the frustration borne from breakdowns, missed services and the irregular running that actual passengers are subjected to. Just the mere appearance of some of the fleet would give rise for concern, though it's the mechanical unreliability that sticks in the craw.

I've worked in the bus industry for some great companies (the early days of Midland Choice and London bus companies) and I've worked for some utter showers (City Buslines), though each started out wanting to make money and a difference. The stark reality is that unless you have the knowledge, the staff and working capital to launch the company to ensure it is positioned with the correct fleet, correct maintenance team and planning, and understanding of your target demographic, then with any one of those missing, you will be hard pressed to succeed.

As I've said before, Arriva had reached the point where its Cannock/Stafford operations did not fit their business plan and they decided to leave the area. Chaserider, with the best of intentions and some very sound business minds, thought that they could make a success of it and, largely, they have and have had to make exceptionally difficult choices along the way (curtail routes, use an aging fleet etc) in a sparsely populated area like mid/south Staffordshire. Talking to a senior member of their management team last week, they are still committed to Cannock and Stafford, even in the face of criticism from passengers, politicians and, believe it or not, forums like these who constantly criticise their best efforts.

We MUST remember that Chaserider HAVE put their money where their mouth is. Diamond, NX and a host of others haven't for their own reasons, which I'm sure we could all speculate about.

To those that feel that Chaserider are not providing the service they advertise/you feel they should, please contact them directly. If you have no luck there, then contact Bus Users UK.

If you appreciate that they are doing their level best under very tight financial constraints, with very little CapEx to spend on brand new buses, brand new maintenance facilities and and tightly monitored salary budgets, thank them for what they ARE doing.

Failing that, YOU start a bus company with the buses YOU think should be run, with the staff YOU think should be employed and come back to me in 3 months and tell me you have no regrets, stress or sleepless nights.

Trust me, the alternative of absolutely NO bus services in Cannock and, connections to Stafford, would give us all more to be gravely concerned about.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Michael Bevan

Commander 187 is on the 36 this afternoon.

winston

Quote from: Wumpty on November 16, 2023, 11:34:10 AMReading @solonightrider @Capitalpotter @Bob  and many other posts, the quoted text above was my response the last time this subject became fractious.

I do not believe for a minute that Chaserider or Centrebus aren't interested in making money - they are both businesses dependant upon the success of the routes and the fare paying public that use them.

Granted, some of their fleet do leave a lot to be desired and I completely understand the frustration borne from breakdowns, missed services and the irregular running that actual passengers are subjected to. Just the mere appearance of some of the fleet would give rise for concern, though it's the mechanical unreliability that sticks in the craw.

I've worked in the bus industry for some great companies (the early days of Midland Choice and London bus companies) and I've worked for some utter showers (City Buslines), though each started out wanting to make money and a difference. The stark reality is that unless you have the knowledge, the staff and working capital to launch the company to ensure it is positioned with the correct fleet, correct maintenance team and planning, and understanding of your target demographic, then with any one of those missing, you will be hard pressed to succeed.

As I've said before, Arriva had reached the point where its Cannock/Stafford operations did not fit their business plan and they decided to leave the area. Chaserider, with the best of intentions and some very sound business minds, thought that they could make a success of it and, largely, they have and have had to make exceptionally difficult choices along the way (curtail routes, use an aging fleet etc) in a sparsely populated area like mid/south Staffordshire. Talking to a senior member of their management team last week, they are still committed to Cannock and Stafford, even in the face of criticism from passengers, politicians and, believe it or not, forums like these who constantly criticise their best efforts.

We MUST remember that Chaserider HAVE put their money where their mouth is. Diamond, NX and a host of others haven't for their own reasons, which I'm sure we could all speculate about.

To those that feel that Chaserider are not providing the service they advertise/you feel they should, please contact them directly. If you have no luck there, then contact Bus Users UK.

If you appreciate that they are doing their level best under very tight financial constraints, with very little CapEx to spend on brand new buses, brand new maintenance facilities and and tightly monitored salary budgets, thank them for what they ARE doing.

Failing that, YOU start a bus company with the buses YOU think should be run, with the staff YOU think should be employed and come back to me in 3 months and tell me you have no regrets, stress or sleepless nights.

Trust me, the alternative of absolutely NO bus services in Cannock and, connections to Stafford, would give us all more to be gravely concerned about.
If all the breakdowns & subsequent missing journies posted on here are actually correct, you can't run infrequent services like that for a prolonged period of time & still expect people to use them. They need to be reliable when only running on hourly frequencies. Chaserider have had more than enough time since acquiring Cannock to get their house in order & get to the bottom of where the problems lie, thus reducing the number of breakdowns / missing journeys. You can still run an elderly fleet if well maintained, many operators manage it. If what's posted on here is correct, it's surprising that the TC hasn't got involved.

Whilst Chaserider have acquired a number of nearly new vehicles / transferred more modern ones in, most have only come because the contracts dictate such as 6 x Telford Travel E200MMC's, 3 x ex Centrebus Volvo B8RLE / MCV Evolutions. 2 x E200's 505 & 506 for TfWM 19 & 5 contracts.

Only the latest 4 x Volvo B8RLE / MCV EvoRa's (638-641) will actually replace some of the existing fleet once all in serice, which is most welcome & they look pretty smart.

Wumpty

Quote from: winston on November 16, 2023, 03:40:10 PMIf all the breakdowns & subsequent missing journies posted on here are actually correct, you can't run infrequent services like that for a prolonged period of time & still expect people to use them. They need to be reliable when only running on hourly frequencies. Chaserider have had more than enough time since acquiring Cannock to get their house in order & get to the bottom of where the problems lie, thus reducing the number of breakdowns / missing journeys. You can still run an elderly fleet if well maintained, many operators manage it. If what's posted on here is correct, it's surprising that the TC hasn't got involved.

Whilst Chaserider have acquired a number of nearly new vehicles / transferred more modern ones in, most have only come because the contracts dictate such as 6 x Telford Travel E200MMC's, 3 x ex Centrebus Volvo B8RLE / MCV Evolutions. 2 x E200's 505 & 506 for TfWM 19 & 5 contracts.

Only the latest 4 x Volvo B8RLE / MCV EvoRa's (638-641) will actually replace some of the existing fleet once all in serice, which is most welcome & they look pretty smart.
And that's the $64,000 question - are all of the breakdowns on here actually correct and reflective of the supposed poor service. 

I don't recall seeing any concerns in the monthly TC updates, not anything in the trade press.

I'm sure if things were *that* bad that the TC would be atop of things.

solonightrider

Quote from: Capitalpotter on November 15, 2023, 06:44:17 AMIm rude. How about all the Chaserider staff you slag off daily?

slag off daily ?  i merely pointed out a fact of unreliable old buses going missing off timetabled runs i have been trying to use so if thats slagging off staff then think what you like. I am a paying customer at the end of the day. If the vehicles go missing in action then they aint taking/making any money. The staff can only work with the tools they are supplied with.

solonightrider

Quote from: Wumpty on November 16, 2023, 09:39:57 PMAnd that's the $64,000 question - are all of the breakdowns on here actually correct and reflective of the supposed poor service.

I don't recall seeing any concerns in the monthly TC updates, not anything in the trade press.

we get one bus per hour thats is it so when they dont turn up its a 2 hour gap in service. Not good when going to / from work.

Bob

Quote from: winston on November 16, 2023, 03:40:10 PMIf all the breakdowns & subsequent missing journies posted on here are actually correct, you can't run infrequent services like that for a prolonged period of time & still expect people to use them. They need to be reliable when only running on hourly frequencies. Chaserider have had more than enough time since acquiring Cannock to get their house in order & get to the bottom of where the problems lie, thus reducing the number of breakdowns / missing journeys. You can still run an elderly fleet if well maintained, many operators manage it. If what's posted on here is correct, it's surprising that the TC hasn't got involved.

Exactly. An 828 or 826 or 62 /70 etc missing is,a two hour gap, its not like say a 51 or 529 missing, and people are left stranded for an hour. Saw the red e200 MMC this afternoon which had apparently been on the 1 all day till 220 pm, it was broke down in the bus stop at Wildwood in Stafford with the engine cover up. Not sure what it was doing there but presumably was heafing to Stafford to go onto another route. 

Bob

Quote from: Wumpty on November 16, 2023, 09:39:57 PMAnd that's the $64,000 question - are all of the breakdowns on here actually correct and reflective of the supposed poor service.

I can vouch for gaps of two hours on the 70 on several occadions as i used it with it going through my estate, also broke down on m6 island on 162 on it wolves bound. The bus got started again thrn limpedto wolves and broje down again at the inbound syop. I think it got towed back. Regular gaps of that lomg on hourly services arent sonething anyone should be "thanking" them for

Wumpty

Quote from: Bob on November 16, 2023, 10:37:38 PMI can vouch for gaps of two hours on the 70 on several occadions as i used it with it going through my estate, also broke down on m6 island on 162 on it wolves bound. The bus got started again thrn limpedto wolves and broje down again at the inbound syop. I think it got towed back. Regular gaps of that lomg on hourly services arent sonething anyone should be "thanking" them for
Where did I say "thank them" for the service you believe falls under what is expected @Bob ????

I'll wait..................

Dennis Dart Plaxton Pointer

Quote from: Bob on November 16, 2023, 10:33:55 PMExactly. An 828 or 826 or 62 /70 etc missing is,a two hour gap, its not like say a 51 or 529 missing, and people are left stranded for an hour. Saw the red e200 MMC this afternoon which had apparently been on the 1 all day till 220 pm, it was broke down in the bus stop at Wildwood in Stafford with the engine cover up. Not sure what it was doing there but presumably was heafing to Stafford to go onto another route.
1 should of done a school service out of stafford. It does the 1 until 3. Goes up to stafford for a school service then does the A51

karl724223

If it was that bad wouldn't the local councillors be jumping all over this in the press so as to get there photo in the local papers  

hlliwmai

Quote from: karl724223 on November 17, 2023, 10:05:43 AMIf it was that bad wouldn't the local councillors be jumping all over this in the press so as to get there photo in the local papers 

Too true @karl724223 too many armchair spotters that's the problem! 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk