News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Wolverhampton Metro extension gets go-ahead

Started by Stu, June 21, 2016, 08:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger66

Quote from: Stevo on August 28, 2023, 10:00:07 AMThe website says that once training is completed the service will be to the station branch only and not serve St Georges for a short time while alterations are made so that trams can serve both St Georges and the station.  Presumably this won't be on the same journey but alternate journeys. Does that mean that there'll be a tram to the station and to St Georges only every 20 minutes?
I thought the plan was one in six trams to serve at Georges

mikestone

That would be utter nonsense - one an hour - unless they have realised its barely any more convenient than Pipers Row and want to ustify its abandonment?

Rachvince53

Quote from: Stevo on August 28, 2023, 10:00:07 AMThe website says that once training is completed the service will be to the station branch only and not serve St Georges for a short time while alterations are made so that trams can serve both St Georges and the station.  Presumably this won't be on the same journey but alternate journeys. Does that mean that there'll be a tram to the station and to St Georges only every 20 minutes?
From what is described,  the tram would eventually serve St George's then proceed in reverse to where the line towards the station leaves the current line and then take the new line to the station.  Leaving the station it would proceed along the new line, then reverse into St George's before proceeding as now.  
However that is just my interpretation. 

Stu

When the extension opens after the railway station is complete, the Metro will run from Edgbaston Village to Wolverhampton St George's and Wolverhampton Railway Station.
Every other Metro will terminate at Wolverhampton St. George's as part of a 'shopper's service'. Passenger information will be displayed on the front of the Metro and at all stops. During construction of the extension, the Metro will serve Wolverhampton St. George's as usual.

https://metroalliance.co.uk/projects/wolverhampton-city-centre-extension/

At the time that was written, I believe the Metro had a higher daytime frequency, was it 7-8mins at one point?

The reference to 'shoppers service' could intimate that early morning and late evening journeys might only serve the train station.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Rachvince53

Quote from: Stu on August 28, 2023, 01:32:56 PMWhen the extension opens after the railway station is complete, the Metro will run from Edgbaston Village to Wolverhampton St George's and Wolverhampton Railway Station.
Every other Metro will terminate at Wolverhampton St. George's as part of a 'shopper's service'. Passenger information will be displayed on the front of the Metro and at all stops. During construction of the extension, the Metro will serve Wolverhampton St. George's as usual.

https://metroalliance.co.uk/projects/wolverhampton-city-centre-extension/

At the time that was written, I believe the Metro had a higher daytime frequency, was it 7-8mins at one point?

The reference to 'shoppers service' could intimate that early morning and late evening journeys might only serve the train station.
Yes it was every 7/8 minutes, that was before lockdown I believe. As for the reference to shoppers service, I vaguely recall that it was indeed proposed that only off-peak services would serve St George's although I think this was dropped after complaints. 

the trainbasher

Won't some of the Dudley services also run to Wolverhampton?

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stu

Quote from: the trainbasher on August 28, 2023, 05:03:46 PMWon't some of the Dudley services also run to Wolverhampton?

At this point in time, it is too early to say. There's no mention of this on the website, though the map does indicate it branches in both directions.

https://metroalliance.co.uk/projects/wednesbury-to-brierley-hill-extension/

You could potentially have three Metro routes:
MM1 - Wolverhampton to Birmingham
MM2 - Wolverhampton to Dudley/Brierley Hill
MM3 - Birmingham to Dudley/Brierley Hill

My locals:

Ginger66

Quote from: Stu on August 28, 2023, 06:06:37 PMAt this point in time, it is too early to say. There's no mention of this on the website, though the map does indicate it branches in both directions.

https://metroalliance.co.uk/projects/wednesbury-to-brierley-hill-extension/

You could potentially have three Metro routes:
MM1 - Wolverhampton to Birmingham
MM2 - Wolverhampton to Dudley/Brierley Hill
MM3 - Birmingham to Dudley/Brierley Hill

Then you also have
MM4 Edgbaston to Digbeth
MM5 Digbeth to Dudley/Brierley Hill

Stevo

I rode up to The Royal from Corporation St at about lunchtime. The tram said it was going to St Georges but we were unceremoniously chucked off into the rain. In fairness the other trams showed The Royal. But I didn't see a single tram using the extension for any purpose.

Rachvince53

The trams were running along the Wolves extension empty today - showed Edgbaston Village on destination in both directions!

Solo1

Stu

Quote from: Solo1 on August 31, 2023, 10:35:23 AMHow long is the training for
Until all the drivers have been trained.
My locals:

Solo1

Quote from: Stu on August 31, 2023, 10:45:57 AMUntil all the drivers have been trained.
I know that but was saying was it  2 or 3 weeks of training 

ellspurs

So, did it open? Has anyone seen the trams moving around there?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk