News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Birmingham Central Garage

Started by Liverpool Street, July 01, 2013, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike K

Quote from: Tony on October 07, 2017, 04:12:27 PM
The cobbles and tram tracks are still there

I've just driven past in 3225 ironically

My mistake then , I've not noticed them when I've driven past.

Tony

Quote from: Mike K on October 07, 2017, 06:39:36 PM
My mistake then , I've not noticed them when I've driven past.

They actually look like they have been tidied up and made into a feature of the restaurant.

j789

When the junction near the new Bourneville college was under construction a few years back, the tram tracks were still present under the road there. I guess they are still along a lot of the Bristol Road but well buried under the road or in the verges.

Did a tram route also run to Rubery as the current 63 or was Longbridge as close as it got?

Justin Tyme

Quote from: j789 on October 07, 2017, 09:09:23 PM
Did a tram route also run to Rubery as the current 63 or was Longbridge as close as it got?

Yes - the Rubery tramway ran to the city boundary (Bristol Road South/Leach Green Lane junction) - which was the original 63 terminus when the trams were replaced in 1952.  The Rednal service was number 70, the Rubery service was 71.

Believe it or not, the Rednal and Rubery services replaced motor bus routes that had started in 1913.  The Bristol Road trams operated as far as Selly Oak in those days, and the motor bus services started from there, meeting the trams.  Trams reached Rednal in 1924 and Rubery in 1926.

For a short time in 1914, Rubery was also reached - from Worcester - by buses of Worcestershire Motor Transport.  This only lasted a few months as that service was absorbed by new Midland Red service 25 between Birmingham, Worcester and Malvern - later to become the 144.

j789

Quote from: Justin Tyme on October 07, 2017, 09:37:41 PM
Yes - the Rubery tramway ran to the city boundary (Bristol Road South/Leach Green Lane junction) - which was the original 63 terminus when the trams were replaced in 1952.  The Rednal service was number 70, the Rubery service was 71.

Believe it or not, the Rednal and Rubery services replaced motor bus routes that had started in 1913.  The Bristol Road trams operated as far as Selly Oak in those days, and the motor bus services started from there, meeting the trams.  Trams reached Rednal in 1924 and Rubery in 1926.

For a short time in 1914, Rubery was also reached - from Worcester - by buses of Worcestershire Motor Transport.  This only lasted a few months as that service was absorbed by new Midland Red service 25 between Birmingham, Worcester and Malvern - later to become the 144.

I always find it amazing how much the world has changed in the last 100 years but these routes are pretty much the same today as they were then. The only difference is their vehicles were probably more reliable!!

Does anyone know what the fares on the A52 are?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Hayley1985

Quote from: 2206 on October 08, 2017, 11:14:58 AM
Does anyone know what the fares on the A52 are?

£2 my bf said who drives it

DJ

Quote from: Hayley1985 on October 09, 2017, 08:03:53 PM
£2 my bf said who drives it

Pretty sure you can get weekly passes and stuff too on the app, I remember seeing a section on there for it but I can't remember too much.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Trident 4194

Saw a hybrid go past Quinton church towards Halesowen

Tony

4877 will be going in for repaint in the near future, so if anyone still needs a photograph get it quickly

Jack

:D

I couldn't find the correct place to ask but since it's within BC garage territory, I'll ask the question here

I spotted crimson red enviro400 with the display what seems showing 8C this morning around 3AM on Coventry Road near Heybarnes circus.

My description might not be correct since I was a quite bit far away when I saw this and I was tired at that time.

Could somebody provide details of this mystery bus?

John

Quote from: :D on October 18, 2017, 06:04:04 PM
I couldn't find the correct place to ask but since it's within BC garage territory, I'll ask the question here

I spotted crimson red enviro400 with the display what seems showing 8C this morning around 3AM on Coventry Road near Heybarnes circus.

My description might not be correct since I was a quite bit far away when I saw this and I was tired at that time.

Could somebody provide details of this mystery bus?

BC Staff Bus?

:D

Quote from: John on October 18, 2017, 06:18:35 PM
BC Staff Bus?
That might be it. Do you know any pictures showing this?

John

Quote from: :D on October 18, 2017, 06:25:07 PM
That might be it. Do you know any pictures showing this?

No I haven't seen any pictures of it, but I have seen it. BC is on the nearside, in the same place as the route number, I imagine it could look like 8C from a distance or with a quick glance

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk