News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Sprint

Started by bususer28, January 27, 2021, 06:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve3229vp

Quote from: 2206 on June 09, 2022, 07:38:06 PMDoes that mean it's only opening between Walsall and Birmingham or not?
When it says current vehicles I thought it's having new hydrogens? Or are 67/68XX (current vehicles) going to be used?
Walsall garage only has 67xx buses, it doesn't have any 68xx buses

Stu

Quote from: Tony on June 09, 2022, 07:32:37 PMSee...
 New Sprint bus corridor set to open but only with current vehicles | Express & Star (expressandstar.com)
Thanks for that, I haven't looked at the E&S website today, so hadn't seen that.

But still, to be frank and blunt, its a bit of an underwhelming announcement, and to be honest its a bit of an embarrassment.

Granted, I know that the 'articulated tram-style buses' were never going to be used from the start, and it was always going to be the case that existing vehicles would be used initially.

But still, this whole first Sprint route was pushed to the fore in order that it could be up and running ahead of the Commonwealth Games, in order to transport spectators to and from Alexander Stadium.

There have been massive amounts of disruption caused, though enabling roadworks to achieve this aim.

If the Sprint route is only going to operate between Walsall and Birmingham (as the E&S article alludes), then there is no 'new' route, just the existing 51 and X51 services taking advantage of some new infrastructure that has been put in place. Which admittedly may improve their journey time and reliability, but at this stage remains to be seen.

So this comes across as a bit of a disappointment really. Maybe there will be a crumb of comfort if the Hydroliners can finally re-enter service to run on the 51.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Steve3229vp on June 09, 2022, 08:21:57 PMWalsall garage only has 67xx buses, it doesn't have any 68xx buses
The Coventry Road has the 68XX currently BC ones. So ifs not going to Solihull anyway they'll keep the 68XX.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

cardew

I certainly recall reading that the first "cross city" service was due to start in July, although of course I can't find where I read it. From this I assumed WA's Hydrogens would run the 51 and x2 thus allowing some cascades from BC to withdraw some of the old stock elsewhere. Maybe I should have learned by now never to assume.

Justin Tyme

I presume that the service is intended to start before the Commonwealth Games begin.  Indications up to now have been that before the BRT artics arrive, zero emission double decks will be used - which I guess does not rule out electrics if need be?

What a pity that TfWM are saying nothing to the public about timescales or even the initial route as the starting point surely gets closer.  It really isn't acceptable that a newspaper provides an update.

I am really unimpressed with TfWM's comms policy of "keep them in the dark until the last possible moment".  It isn't how West Midlands PTE or Centro used to operate, and it's no way to keep the public on your side.

BBS

Quote from: cardew on June 09, 2022, 09:03:43 PMI certainly recall reading that the first "cross city" service was due to start in July, although of course I can't find where I read it. From this I assumed WA's Hydrogens would run the 51 and x2 thus allowing some cascades from BC to withdraw some of the old stock elsewhere. Maybe I should have learned by now never to assume.
The old 68** at BC *could* move to AG or WAs 67** possibly to help with the 4/4A or WB 74
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Wumpty

Quote from: Stu on June 09, 2022, 08:22:44 PMThanks for that, I haven't looked at the E&S website today, so hadn't seen that.

But still, to be frank and blunt, its a bit of an underwhelming announcement, and to be honest its a bit of an embarrassment.

Granted, I know that the 'articulated tram-style buses' were never going to be used from the start, and it was always going to be the case that existing vehicles would be used initially.

But still, this whole first Sprint route was pushed to the fore in order that it could be up and running ahead of the Commonwealth Games, in order to transport spectators to and from Alexander Stadium.

There have been massive amounts of disruption caused, though enabling roadworks to achieve this aim.

If the Sprint route is only going to operate between Walsall and Birmingham (as the E&S article alludes), then there is no 'new' route, just the existing 51 and X51 services taking advantage of some new infrastructure that has been put in place. Which admittedly may improve their journey time and reliability, but at this stage remains to be seen.

So this comes across as a bit of a disappointment really. Maybe there will be a crumb of comfort if the Hydroliners can finally re-enter service to run on the 51.
It does seem like a knee-jerk announcement, and not surprising given the amount of adverse publicity around the West Midlands public transport infrastructure, with the recent tram woes and the threat of rail strikes that just happen to be scheduled in time for CG.

I'm hoping that the Hydroliners will be ready in time for this "launch", though it's still a bit of a damp squib given all the pomp and hype over what Sprint was supposed to be.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Quote from: BBS on June 09, 2022, 11:23:16 PMThe old 68** at BC *could* move to AG or WAs 67** possibly to help with the 4/4A or WB 74
There are 8 vehicles (7 68XX and 1 75XX that comes off X1 night bus) tracking as X2's this morning.
They might stay at BC and displace older euro 6 tridents or E400 elsewhere maybe to YW, WN, etc. 8 wouldn't be enough for the 4/4A or 74.

Maybe they'll make the 60's platinum.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

cardew

Quote from: Justin Tyme on June 09, 2022, 10:54:11 PMI am really unimpressed with TfWM's comms policy of "keep them in the dark until the last possible moment".  It isn't how West Midlands PTE or Centro used to operate, and it's no way to keep the public on your side.
Maybe more information will drip out once the council transport meetings start up again after the elections.

I see that Andy Hi-Vis is chairing a WMCA Board one today, the Bus Service Improvement Plan and the 124 Hydrogen buses for 2023/24 are on the agenda.

https://governance.wmca.org.uk/

Justin Tyme

Quote from: cardew on June 10, 2022, 10:05:33 AMMaybe more information will drip out once the council transport meetings start up again after the elections.

I see that Andy Hi-Vis is chairing a WMCA Board one today, the Bus Service Improvement Plan and the 124 Hydrogen buses for 2023/24 are on the agenda.

https://governance.wmca.org.uk/

Thank you cardew.  Let's hope so!

Steve3229vp

I've said this time and time again BRT articulated buses are NOT the answer. Passengers who are currently use a double decker are sitting down on a seat, with these BRT things which if I'm right have a similar layout to trams will mean these passengers will be standing more often. Will they be happy with that, I doubt it !

BBS

Quote from: Steve3229vp on June 11, 2022, 09:40:15 AMI've said this time and time again BRT articulated buses are NOT the answer. Passengers who are currently use a double decker are sitting down on a seat, with these BRT things which if I'm right have a similar layout to trams will mean these passengers will be standing more often. Will they be happy with that, I doubt it !
I agree 
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Stevo

Three door artics were tried in London with boarding and alighting through any door and fare evasion was high, while the low capacity meant that standing was common. Boris replaced them with the New Routemaster with similar boarding. TfL eventually stopped the practice and now all boarding is past the driver. Mind you, multi-door boarding is universal with trams, not all of which have conductors like the Metro.

markcf83

Quote from: Stevo on June 11, 2022, 10:20:32 AMThree door artics were tried in London with boarding and alighting through any door and fare evasion was high, while the low capacity meant that standing was common. Boris replaced them with the New Routemaster with similar boarding. TfL eventually stopped the practice and now all boarding is past the driver. Mind you, multi-door boarding is universal with trams, not all of which have conductors like the Metro.

Very true. If,for example you were travelling between Marble Arch and Victoria it wasn't so bad on a bendybus to stand. Slightly different story between Kings Cross and Victoria.......    
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk