News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

ghost bus?

Started by windy miller, January 25, 2015, 06:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windy miller

I notice there is a good shot of an old Metrobus in the archive..2858 (courtesy of paul godding?)  , I wonder if anyone at  Mcoll's were ever aware of its poltergeist reputation when in their ownership?... :-\   
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Liverpool Street

Oh yes! Wasn't this the one with the sound of people walking down stairs when empty? And what else was there? I know the doors used to open by themselves and the emergency exit too. I experienced that on a metrobus after doing a walk around in adderly street years ago. Can't remember the fleet number though.

Perhaps we should make this the Haunting Of Buses thread?

I remember 2801 had a glue sniffer who perished on the upper saloon. Not sure if it was haunted after that, though. Just a bit of history.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Stuharris 6360

Not a bus, but one of the Blackpool Trams was supposedly haunted.

Think it was Balloon Car 704.

Story goes that one wet wild late night the tram was returning from Fleetwood when around Rossell a man in dark clothing was waiting to catch the tram. He went upstairs and the conductor followed him, the man asked for a ticket and the cost was £1, the guy only had a £10 note and the conductor didn't have enough change. The conductor went downstairs to ask the 2nd conductor to help him out. They managed to get enough change together and the conductor went upstairs to give him that changed. The man had vanished. The tram was stopped and searched (even the space behind the destination blinds) but nothing was found.

The tram carried on its journey until just before the stop where this man was supposed to get off, at this point the bell rang. Once again the tram was stopped and searched, nothing.

When they got back to Rigby Road depot, the conductor cashed up and was £9 up.

A lot of micky taking to that tram crew took place, but up to the day it was withdrawn that tram had problems with mysterious ringing of the bell when nobody had touched it?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Liverpool Street

Great story @Stuharris 6360 ;

Another story goes of a haunted Scania N113, it used to have its bell rang regularly when the bus would return to garage. And allegedly (not experienced it myself) the engine would switch on by itself when the thing was parked up and from what I'm told from early morning drivers all you could hear was the slow chugging of a Scania in the yard and when the wind would pick up as it often did with inclement weather the wind would rustle betwixt the buses causing for 'scream like' howling.

Another story I heard from an old sweat at Cotteridge & YW was the tale of the Hawkesley Wailer. Many many years ago (back loader era) there was stories of an old woman who lost her son tragically at a young age. She would get on the bus and not show a pass, when confronted she would start crying and screaming blaming everyone for her sons death. When she gets back off the bus this woman would simply disappear. You never saw her again twice but the majority of drivers knew of her but they only saw her once. One version of the story I hear was she would 'fade away' into alleyways around the old Hawkesley routes are the time (3, 4, 5 I think..) And then at night you would see an old woman and a young boy standing under the long gone old lampposts around the area. When you look twice they wouldn't be there.

More recently (2012 I think) I was driving the 61/3 and I saw a headless woman standing on the edge of the road just past Woeley Park Road to city. I shit you not I had to look twice. It might've been the lights playing tricks on my aged eyes or the tiredness setting in from late nights, but I stared at her and then as I got closer she vanished.

If I recall any other ghostly goings on I shall post them.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

windy miller

L.S  I think the metro bus may have been based at WB at some time? there were a few stories of cleaners refusing to venture on the top deck in the dark :o :o

....perhaps this 'poltergeist ' may have been a bus inSPECTRE in a white coat? :o :o :o

...Start the car :)

windy miller

Stu 6360    Your reference to the Blackpool 704 'Balloon' Ghosting?  I think the ghost may have been that of a certain 'Allan Bradley' who met his untimely end in front of it a few years ago? :)  or was that 701?    now THAT would be a good question on our Quiz night..

37351ml

It was tram 710 having looked at the clip on you tube!

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: 37351ml on January 29, 2015, 06:40:21 PM

Just checked my old copies of Trams Magazine and issue 5 says it was 703.

I got the details slightly wrong in the fact that the fare was 12p and the note tendered was a £20 note.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

windy miller

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 29, 2015, 07:04:54 PM

I got the details slightly wrong in the fact that the fare was 12p and the note tendered was a £20 note.

I was sure it was a low number,  either  701- 02-03- 04  or so I thought.. but if there is photographic evidence I will look it up.

Yes! found it!   it was 710.. with 703 beside it.   Pretty sure neither one of them exist anymore ,although one of the others has been retained for preservation

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: windy miller on January 29, 2015, 08:35:58 PM

I was sure it was a low number,  either  701- 02-03- 04  or so I thought.. but if there is photographic evidence I will look it up.

Yes! found it!   it was 710.. with 703 beside it.   Pretty sure neither one of them exist anymore ,although one of the others has been retained for preservation

Am wondering whether 2 trams were haunted then, as i have just found this.

Since then 703 has been sold to Beamish Museum, now coloured red and cream and numbered Sunderland 101.

4130Quinton

Quote from: windy miller on January 29, 2015, 08:35:58 PM

710 is stored by a failed preservation group, while it still exists its future is not secure. Several others are also preserved in various condition.

Bob

Its a shame they did what they did to Blackpool tramways,  they were a tourist attraction before!

windy miller

Quote from: Bob on January 30, 2015, 09:47:21 PM
Its a shame they did what they did to Blackpool tramways,  they were a tourist attraction before!

The illuminated trains cars 733/4/6/ which were refurbished in the early 1960's and the 'Fisherman's friend ' boat car 737 will be retained for heritage /illumination use and a few other open boat cars may well survive in preservation somewhere

Bob

Hardly the same though. It just looks like a faceless modern system now :-(.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk