News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Informing and presentation of diversions and disruptions to passengers

Started by Stu, February 18, 2024, 08:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Just touching on some points that have been raised in other threads here in this forum.

There doesn't seem to be any 'uniform' or indeed even comprehensive way of informing transport users about current and forthcoming diversions and disruptions.

TfWM does have its own Disruptions page on its website: https://disruptions.tfwm.org.uk

However, as has been pointed out elsewhere, it doesn't appear to detail any diversions or service disruptions in the Coventry area. As well as a number of diversions in the West Midlands not being listed either.

Bus operators of course can have forthcoming diversion notices posted on their website, and they also post them on their Twitter/X timelines.

The problem with Twitter/X though, is thanks to Elon Musk, it has now become a 'closed space', and you are required to have a Twitter/X account in order to even view anything posted there.

The days of simply being able to 'embed' a Twitter timeline on your website, as NX used to do, have now gone, although it is interesting that individual tweets/posts can still be embedded elsewhere, like we can here in this forum.

In my opinion, there needs to be some kind of reliable mechanism or system in place, that allows ALL transport users to be informed of current and forthcoming disruptions and diversions. Relying on Twitter is not the answer, for the reasons stated above, not everyone has access to Twitter/X, and many people don't want to have to sign up just so they can see bus service updates.

TfWM's Disruptions service would seem to be ideal, however it fails when information is not provided to it.

But what is the answer though? Any thoughts?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on February 18, 2024, 08:45:30 PMJust touching on some points that have been raised in other threads here in this forum.

There doesn't seem to be any 'uniform' or indeed even comprehensive way of informing transport users about current and forthcoming diversions and disruptions.

TfWM does have its own Disruptions page on its website: https://disruptions.tfwm.org.uk
The Yardley Stoney Lane road closure recently had a link from the 11A/C page on the NX website recently, which was good to see in my opinion.
 11A | Birmingham Outer Circle (Anticlockwise) | NX Bus West Midlands
Under "The following service update(s) affect the 11A bus".

Diamond also have someting similar on the 52 page here for the Chaddesley Corbett/Mustow Green diversion.
 https://www.diamondbuses.com/bus-services/ww/ww52-redditch/

I've noticed some of the closures never seem to happen. Such a recently when we were told Washwood Heath Road would be closed overnight for TFWM bus improvement works.

On X NX also do put short notice emergency diversionss due to RTCs. unplanned road closures, etc. That aren't put elsewhere or on the TFWM website.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Westy

There's never ever any joined up thinking.

For example, if there's a problem on NX Walsall service 31 or 32 flagged on X, Diamond never flag up their own version of the route will have problems as well!

Also, a recent problem on Wolves Service 69 in Beechdale, there was no mention of equivalent problems on Walsall Service 70, which serves the same route there.

Justin Tyme

A good point Stu.  I think this ought to be looked at nationally.

We could perhaps do with national policies being set for the best platforms to use (I think it's got to be social media unless anyone has better ideas).

More than this, we also need policies and standards on what to say.  Messages should say not only which roads will not be served, but what the alternative route will be - with info on stopping places as well if not clear.  Many operators do this already, of course, but others could do better.  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk