News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

‘Platinum’ Route numbers

Started by JosephR, January 31, 2024, 10:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JosephR

So NXWM is going all electric, all buses are going to be the same spec, and used on any route. Leaving no bus any more premium then the other, and letting go of the platinum brand hence why every bus is going in the same one livery. All this we know. 

So won't 'X' routes that aren't express loose the 'X' ?

cris 99

The routes won't change though so the X will still be needed the X1 is now all electric and that hasn't changed 
17//72/73/97/X12

jasmine

What do you mean by X routes that
Quote from: JosephR on January 31, 2024, 10:30:43 PMSo NXWM is going all electric, all buses are going to be the same spec, and used on any route. Leaving no bus any more premium then the other, and letting go of the platinum brand hence why every bus is going in the same one livery. All this we know.

aren't express?

cris 99

All the X buses are express and will still be the same even if being operated by electrics. 
17//72/73/97/X12

Justin Tyme

Renumbering routes should not be considered lightly.

Passengers get used to service numbers, and there would probably be a mass "what have they done that for?" if they were renumbered unless there was a very good reason.

Mike K

Quote from: cris 99 on January 31, 2024, 10:36:38 PMAll the X buses are express and will still be the same even if being operated by electrics.
Except the X21/22. They literally miss just a single stop on Bath Row and are anything but express. Quite the contrary in fact. 

Quote from: Mike K on January 31, 2024, 11:58:04 PMExcept the X21/22. They literally miss just a single stop on Bath Row and are anything but express. Quite the contrary in fact.
Those numbers are well established.
And anyway its still a very busy and direct service to the University, QE, Selly Oak, Quinton Rd etc. And I can't see how there's any benefit for renumbering them.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack

Quote from: Mike K on January 31, 2024, 11:58:04 PMExcept the X21/22. They literally miss just a single stop on Bath Row and are anything but express. Quite the contrary in fact.
Same goes for the X64, the route that got moved round how many times and then magically became 'limited stop' according to the displays.

JosephR

Well put it this way, what came to mind was the X21/22. The X20 was an eXpress route but the others aren't. As of now none of the Bartley corridor miss a stop. it makes it look as if the harborne corridor is slower when actually that isn't the case. 

I find it more confusing, if It was my first time travelling by bus to that area and the 'express bus' took me all around the Wrekin (X21). the X22 isn't so long winded, but doesn't quite earn its 'X' title.

I'm not sure about Coventry's situation with non express 'x' routes.

JosephR

Also...

Can't quite understand out of all available numbers in city centre. There's the 2/3/4/5 and X2/3/4/5. 12/13 and X12/13. 14 and X14 that take complete different routes. Obviously destination displays are different. But can't a corridor have its own sequence? and a route have its own unique number like 51/X51. Otherwise use another number out of all 99 there is.

Quote from: JosephR on February 01, 2024, 02:38:19 AMAlso...

Can't quite understand out of all available numbers in city centre. There's the 2/3/4/5 and X2/3/4/5. 12/13 and X12/13. 14 and X14 that take complete different routes. Obviously destination displays are different. But can't a corridor have its own sequence? Like 51/X51. Otherwise use another number out of all 99 there is.
Someone brought that silly argument up before.  https://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?topic=3345.msg319886#msg319886
How many people are really confused by there being a 2 and X2 which has been the case for years.
If you read the front of the bus you'll see one is going to Solihull and one going to the Maypole.

Also the Harborne and University corridors go to completely different places. Other that Bartley Green of course and even there they take different routes round that area (X22 Balmoral Road).
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

JosephR

Quote from: 2206 on February 01, 2024, 02:41:12 AMSomeone brought that silly argument up before. How many people are really confused by there being a 2 and X2 which has been the case for years.
If you read the front of the bus you'll see one is going to Solihull and one going to the Maypole.

Also the Harborne and University corridors go to completely different places. Other that Bartley Green of course and even there they take different routes round that area.
I said that about destination screens already. Didn't say it was confusing though.
The way I and many other read... an example X2 is 'eXpress 2'

The harborne corridor take different routes... just not Express routes.

Saw your edit. Can't I mention something if someone else has said? I haven't been here a while. But I'm sure a lot gets repeated!

Steve3229vp

Quote from: JosephR on January 31, 2024, 10:30:43 PMSo NXWM is going all electric, all buses are going to be the same spec, and used on any route. Leaving no bus any more premium then the other, and letting go of the platinum brand hence why every bus is going in the same one livery. All this we know.

But Crimson and red/white buses both double deckers and single deckers are regularly on 'X' routes and have been right from the beginning !
The original Platinums (6701-6758) only originally went on one 'X' route which was the X51, the others at Walsall went on the 934-7/997 and the first 15 went to BC for the 900/957
The second batch (6759-6795) went to Wolverhampton for the 126 and 529 so they weren't 'X' either.

Mike K

Quote from: 2206 on February 01, 2024, 12:22:27 AMThose numbers are well established.
And anyway it's still a very busy and direct service to the University, QE, Selly Oak, Quinton Rd etc. And I can't see how there's any benefit for renumbering them.
I didn't say there would be, just stating facts. I understand the reason for the X prefix - when the routes were first introduced  they were planned to be limited stop to the QE but that was changed almost immediately. As regards them being busy and direct, so are the 61/63 to Selly Oak and Northfield, the 50 to Moseley and Kings Heath etc but that's different to being an express route.

If they do ever change these in a future network review, renumbering to 21/22 would be an easy transition. 

Stu

There is no such thing as a 'Platinum route number'.

The X prefix is used to designate an eXpress or Limited Stop service.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk