News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Queuing

Started by Westy, January 29, 2024, 07:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joieman

The most awkward thing is when people group in different areas around a bus stop so that when the bus turns up there are effectively two or different queues for the same bus.

MasterPlan

Contrary to the above posts, I have seen some good examples of queing. At both the University Station and University North Gate inbound stops. Usually when there's a large group of people waiting.

But yes, generally everything said in this thread is true.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Rachvince53

The reason not everyone who wants to get off before the bus stops is because some drivers slam the brakes on causing the bus to jolt. Alright for young ones perhaps but not so the less able.

Can I also point out that it certainly used to be the case that standing up before the bus stopped was against the rules of carriage. 

Mike K

Quote from: Rachvince53 on January 29, 2024, 10:21:36 PMThe reason not everyone who wants to get off before the bus stops is because some drivers slam the brakes on causing the bus to jolt. Alright for young ones perhaps but not so the less able.

Can I also point out that it certainly used to be the case that standing up before the bus stopped was against the rules of carriage.
It's usually younger people that do it though. The bus will pull into a stop after the bell has been pressed, driver opens the door and everyone's looking to see if anyone's going to get off. Then some arrogant youth will come ambling downstairs without a care in the world, expecting everyone to wait for them as they saunter off. 

If people have started boarding, unaware that someone is getting off, you then have the added delay of them having to step aside or off the platform to let them off.

It's infuriating and it causes delays to usually already late buses. If people had a bit of respect for fellow passengers it's totally avoidable. 

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Mike K on January 30, 2024, 07:20:07 AMIt's usually younger people that do it though. The bus will pull into a stop after the bell has been pressed, driver opens the door and everyone's looking to see if anyone's going to get off. Then some arrogant youth will come ambling downstairs without a care in the world, expecting everyone to wait for them as they saunter off.

If people have started boarding, unaware that someone is getting off, you then have the added delay of them having to step aside or off the platform to let them off.

It's infuriating and it causes delays to usually already late buses. If people had a bit of respect for fellow passengers it's totally avoidable.
One of my pet peeves. Especially when it has made me late to College once I have finished College since so don't mind so much but it does still annoy me. The one time I was late was when some Guy was sat behind me at the back pressed the bell to get off at The Crescent as we headed to Wolverhampton. The Bus Stopped he got up slowly walked down and the driver was indicating to pull out he then gets let off. At that time there was temporary Traffic lights which had changed to Green as we were about to pull off but changed to Red. And then we sat there for 5 minutes, then someone wasn't paying attention or something but the lights became blocked by a car that had passed the bus, we then sat there for about 10 more minutes. Before finally being able to move. Everyone was also late as this was a peak time bus. I missed the bus I had to get or wanted to get. The Number 10 I had missed, the Number 1 I wanted to get as it wouldn't be rammed had gone past as we were pulling into Wolverhampton Bus Station. The next one was late and became rammed because a load of school kids pushed in front. I then waited for the next one and the same thing happened so I had to walk it and was late. Luckily my Tutor was understanding. But because of that 1 guy all that had to happen. Had he just prepared normally then none of that would have happened. 
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

markcf83

I remember someone trying to jump the queue in front of me and I told them in no uncertain terms to go to the back. They cussed under their breath at me-but the funny thing was they didn't get on.....because the bus was full!!! Oh the irony.....
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Westy

Slightly off topic, but does anyone think the '4 sided' shelters are a help to a wheelchair bound passenger?

The one Diamond to Walsall I was on this morning, managed to miss one, but how much of that was down to the driver & how much was down to the stop design I dont know.

I only saw the guy last second myself!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk