News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Guided Bus

Started by Ginger66, March 29, 2023, 08:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger66

I know in the 80's the West Mids trailed guided buses to improve reliability of services.  I know the trial focused on route 65.

Are the are any parts of the city where a guided buses could run with ease or would it be too costly to implement

Rachvince53

Quote from: Ginger66 on March 29, 2023, 08:50:51 PMI know in the 80's the West Mids trailed guided buses to improve reliability of services.  I know the trial focused on route 65.

Are the are any parts of the city where a guided buses could run with ease or would it be too costly to implement
Anywhere with a wide central reservation or where the trackbed of a disused railway could be utilised at minimum cost. The original buses were Metrobus Mk2s numbered from 8101(A101WVP) and wore a distinctive silver livery. Used on service 65 to Short Heath, Birmingham,  they were distinctive from the normal Metrobuses even after the project ended as they had electronic displays and a gap in the front wheel arch.

Ginger66

So basically Midland Metro could have been better done as a guided busway using single deckers and would be more cost effective.

Line 1: From Wolverhampton bus station/low level at preistfield follow disused track all the way to Snow Hill.

Line 2: as line one but deviates of at Wednesbury to Dudley.

danny

Technically parts of the Bristol Rd could be guided busway as back in the day the 1st generation of trams used to use the central reservation for the majority of the route 
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

Rachvince53

Quote from: Ginger66 on March 30, 2023, 06:31:53 AMSo basically Midland Metro could have been better done as a guided busway using single deckers and would be more cost effective.

Line 1: From Wolverhampton bus station/low level at preistfield follow disused track all the way to Snow Hill.

Line 2: as line one but deviates of at Wednesbury to Dudley.
Absolutely.  So could the 3Ws (Wolverhampton-Walsall-Wednesbury) project and with far less disruption to ordinary traffic when running off the busway. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk