News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Fare Cap

Started by Rachvince53, December 19, 2022, 10:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger66

Quote from: Uptight on May 17, 2023, 12:45:43 AM£2 bus fare cap to be extended to 31st October 2023 then for 13 months afterwards at £2.50
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/2-bus-fare-cap
What the government needs to do is get people back into work full time. i'm hybrid working meaning 3 days on site two working from home. 

markcf83

Quote from: Ginger66 on May 17, 2023, 05:01:38 AMWhat the government needs to do is get people back into work full time. i'm hybrid working meaning 3 days on site two working from home.
.....and ban working from home.....
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

j789

As has been discussed before, this is a good, common sense move that will now give operators the opportunity to plan ahead for the next couple of years with at least one cost pressure taken care of.

Hopefully, many operators will also take the chance, in November this year, to rebuild good faith with the public after the issues of missing trips and unreliability, etc, by keeping their fares at £2 beyond that date - that would generate very good publicity and increase chances of maintaining passenger number increases. 

B61 ANDREW

Good news all round. But I have found that many potential passengers are still unaware of it.  :shocked:

Tony

I made use of it for the first time yesterday. Newcastle upon Tyne to Beamish, absolute bargain as a Go-Ahead bus ticket gets you 5 pounds off the admission fee! 

Coventrybususer95

Will nx still offer the 2.40 single like previous or will they up it by 10p to 2.50 inline with what the govt have said?
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

Straightlines

Quote from: j789 on May 17, 2023, 12:40:29 PMAs has been discussed before, this is a good, common sense move that will now give operators the opportunity to plan ahead for the next couple of years with at least one cost pressure taken care of.

Except they won't... it will just kick the problem down the road and the begging bowl will come out in 2024 instead...

Westy

Quote from: Coventrybususer95 on May 17, 2023, 06:14:19 PMWill nx still offer the 2.40 single like previous or will they up it by 10p to 2.50 inline with what the govt have said?
Will they have to alter the £2.50 returns on Wa 31/32 as well?

Stu

Quote from: Coventrybususer95 on May 17, 2023, 06:14:19 PMWill nx still offer the 2.40 single like previous or will they up it by 10p to 2.50 inline with what the govt have said?
Quote from: Westy on May 17, 2023, 06:41:17 PMWill they have to alter the £2.50 returns on Wa 31/32 as well?
The government haven't said anything about increasing bus fares.

This just means that from November, the max fare cap rises to £2.50. It only applies to single journey fares, not returns.

Bus fares are expected to remain frozen until 2025, so all this means is that the price of a single ticket will revert back to £2.40. Therefore the fare capping scheme effectively ends in the West Midlands.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

the trainbasher

Quote.....and ban working from home.....
That's all well and good, but what about those who have to work from home due to medical conditions?

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

j789

Quote from: Straightlines on May 17, 2023, 06:36:58 PMExcept they won't... it will just kick the problem down the road and the begging bowl will come out in 2024 instead...
Well would you rather those projected 15-20% of route cuts were made now then rather than giving it another 18 month to at least make some of them financially viable?

Also, this scheme has led to passenger increases, ask any major operator (by some accounts some areas quite significantly too). These returning/new passengers may just make those borderline services viable in the future. It's worth a shot as there is no alternative except large cuts in service which benefits no one.

j789

Quote from: Stu on May 17, 2023, 07:17:59 PMThe government haven't said anything about increasing bus fares.

This just means that from November, the max fare cap rises to £2.50. It only applies to single journey fares, not returns.

Bus fares are expected to remain frozen until 2025, so all this means is that the price of a single ticket will revert back to £2.40. Therefore the fare capping scheme effectively ends in the West Midlands.

Unless of course the increase in paying passenger numbers from this scheme makes it viable to keep the fares at a flat £2. This probably isn't feasible for long distance or rural routes but urban areas could/should allow this hopefully.

ellspurs

Quote from: Stu on May 17, 2023, 07:17:59 PMThe government haven't said anything about increasing bus fares.

How is the government subsidy working for this? Are the companies that are charging the most extortionate fares getting more in payment from the subsidy, or is it a set amount per service. Also, when the fares go up in November, does that mean that the TfWM region loses out on the money as their cap is lower than the government applied cap?

Stu

Quote from: j789 on May 17, 2023, 07:53:49 PMUnless of course the increase in paying passenger numbers from this scheme makes it viable to keep the fares at a flat £2. This probably isn't feasible for long distance or rural routes but urban areas could/should allow this hopefully.
I think that's unlikely to be honest, there have already been 'noises' from operators like Diamond about the viability of commercially-operated bus services, and NX are probably struggling too though less publicly.

Hopefully the scheme has been encouraging new bus users to travel more frequently, and those who make more than one journey a day have probably already found that a day ticket works out just as cheap, and its even better value for those contactless 'tap-and-go' users with fares capped at 3 and 5 day rates. If these 'new' bus users carry on using the bus, and encourage others they know to do the same, then the scheme has served its purpose here.
My locals:

Stu

Quote from: ellspurs on May 17, 2023, 08:01:23 PMHow is the government subsidy working for this? Are the companies that are charging the most extortionate fares getting more in payment from the subsidy, or is it a set amount per service. Also, when the fares go up in November, does that mean that the TfWM region loses out on the money as their cap is lower than the government applied cap?

I don't know exactly how the subsidy/funding structure works for this, but I do note Diamond's initial reluctance to participate due to concerns about remuneration.

Fares aren't increasing in November, just the cap amount set by the Government.

If the maximum single fare in the West Midlands is £2.40 (as set by TfWM), then it is logical to assume that West Midlands bus operators are no longer eligible for support funding if the Government increases the fare cap to £2.50.
My locals:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk