News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

103 Centre link service - when did this start?

Started by j789, October 11, 2022, 09:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j789

Was just going through some of the Fleetline pictures on the site and was intrigued by the image of 6962 operating the 3 service to Woodgate Valley North.

What makes it unusual is that in the windscreen of the bus there is a 'Centre Link' sign despite the bus operating on the 3 rather than 103.

The bus is in red stripe livery so post 1990ish and also the route changed to the 103 around 1991/2. I thought Centre Link was used much later in the mid 1990s when the route had changed to 103 so it seems strange that this bus had this 'centre link' sign in the windscreen. Was this some sort of experiment prior to full adoption of the centre link branding?

Mike K

Quote from: j789 on October 11, 2022, 09:44:57 PMWas just going through some of the Fleetline pictures on the site and was intrigued by the image of 6962 operating the 3 service to Woodgate Valley North.

What makes it unusual is that in the windscreen of the bus there is a 'Centre Link' sign despite the bus operating on the 3 rather than 103.

The bus is in red stripe livery so post 1990ish and also the route changed to the 103 around 1991/2. I thought Centre Link was used much later in the mid 1990s when the route had changed to 103 so it seems strange that this bus had this 'centre link' sign in the windscreen. Was this some sort of experiment prior to full adoption of the centre link branding?

Mark Fitchew is the font of all knowledge on WM routes and dates, and this article here gives the history of the 3/103/24 route (scroll down to 'The 24'). But I do recall that shortly before the 3 changed to the 103, some buses were displaying the Centre Link sign in the windscreen in readiness for the change. Centre Link was later added to the lower destination blinds, in the style of the 101 CentreBus blind.

EDIT - apologies, it would have helped if I'd actually provided the link to that article:
https://mfitchewhotmail.wordpress.com/2018/08/12/south-birmingham-changes-july-2018-part-one-8-8-18/

Justin Tyme

I've looked at Omnibus Society Midland Branch Bulletins for the time to check.

Confirming what Mike K says, the 3 was rerouted in the city centre and marketed as "Centre Link" from 26 April 1992.

The 3 was renumbered to 103 three months later, on 27 July 1992.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk