News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Warwickshire fare changes 24th April 2022

Started by Sandy Lane, April 14, 2022, 01:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Lane

This is worth looking at in full. Some big changes.
https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-updates/serviceupdatesarticle?SituationId=ID-11/04/2022-12:15:46:462

Bus fares have remained frozen for the last 3 years. Like everyone we have seen our costs increasing and from the 24th April it is necessary for us to introduce some changes to fares and ticketing across the region.

In some cases you won't notice a difference as the prices have been frozen, some have even gone down while others have gone up. Where increases have been necessary, we've kept them to a minimum to ensure bus travel still provides great value.

Singles & Returns
There are currently 44 different adult single fares in and around Warwickshire (plus 33 young person fares), and an equal number of different return fare values.
This will be reduced to six adult single fares and six young person single fares, with travel available for a single journey starting from £1.40 (adult), providing a clearer and more simple set of fares.

Return tickets will be removed, with customers making multiple trips able to achieve better value for money through our day ticket offering or for a small number of journeys two single fares.

However, we have kept a special return ticket, which is available between Leamington & University of Warwick at £4.50.

There will also be a special £2.20 single on route 48C which covers the whole route between Nuneaton and Coventry.

Justin Tyme

I saw this too!

There are some winners, mainly by the looks of it if your journey is within a Megarider zone, but also some spectacular losers for passengers travelling outside (or partly outside) such zones who would buy day returns but won't be able to after 23 April.

For example, a round trip from Warwick to Leamington will go down from £5.00 to £4.50, but a round trip from Coventry to Leamington and back will go up from £4.70 (day return) to £8.00 (two singles).

It is possible to find out fares now and after the change by using the 'Plan your journey' feature on the website - https://www.stagecoachbus.com/plan-a-journey.

Sandy Lane

SC never seem to make it clear how much it costs to travel in the Coventry area only. This press release is typical as if they don't want to do business. Don't forget the SC 60 is a Coventry only route whilst other routes cross into Warks.

To me it is not clear how much a Cov single ticket will be. Perhaps £2.20? A day ticket is shown as £4.00.

Justin Tyme

I've tried the 'Plan your journey' feature again, and it appears that a Cov single ticket is and will stay at £2.20.

I think the 60 and 703 are tendered services, in which case TfWM set the fares. 

Stu

QuoteSC never seem to make it clear how much it costs to travel in the Coventry area only. This press release is typical as if they don't want to do business. Don't forget the SC 60 is a Coventry only route whilst other routes cross into Warks.

To me it is not clear how much a Cov single ticket will be. Perhaps £2.20? A day ticket is shown as £4.00.

As a member of the West Midlands Bus Alliance, my understanding is that fares within the TfWM area are determined by TfWM, so for a single journey within Coventry, Stagecoach can't charge any more than the max single fare determined by TfWM.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Sandy Lane

Quote from: Stu on April 15, 2022, 08:26:57 PMAs a member of the West Midlands Bus Alliance, my understanding is that fares within the TfWM area are determined by TfWM, so for a single journey within Coventry, Stagecoach can't charge any more than the max single fare determined by TfWM.
Agreed and that was my understanding also. But I think now SC has charged a higher single Coventry fare on the 86 for a while @ £2.30 and NXC @ £2.20. OK only 10p difference but people will not use it and wait for an NXC service. May be it's to do with SC Rugby depot pricing? 

Stu

Quotemy understanding is that fares within the TfWM area are determined by TfWM, so for a single journey within Coventry, Stagecoach can't charge any more than the max single fare determined by TfWM.

Just to clarify, it is only the maximum single fare that is determined by TfWM, which I believe is currently £2.40.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

ellspurs

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/stagecoach-bus-fares-rise-across-25581509

Stagecoach are raising prices again. I tried to see if there was a post on their website but it is currently unavailable to access.

Rachvince53

Prices are now online under service updates.  

j789

It's a shame that the merger with Nat Ex fell through, I have no doubt that Warwickshire passengers, in particular, would have benefitted from cheaper fares and better value day tickets being able to be used on the full NXWM network as well.

I'm sure there is still some bad feeling between operators over this but surely in the current operating environment both Stagecoach and NX Cov could look at restarting a 'Primelines' type partnership on the route from Coventry to Nuneaton. Even better would be to involve Arriva as well on the Nuneaton to Leicester part of the route which would maximise savings for all operators and avoid competing journeys over the route.

Passengers would also benefit as they could use their ticket on any operators vehicle. We need some joined up and cooperative thinking in these difficult times.

Straightlines

Quote from: j789 on November 24, 2022, 06:49:06 PMIt's a shame that the merger with Nat Ex fell through, I have no doubt that Warwickshire passengers, in particular, would have benefitted from cheaper fares and better value day tickets being able to be used on the full NXWM network as well.

I'm sure there is still some bad feeling between operators over this but surely in the current operating environment both Stagecoach and NX Cov could look at restarting a 'Primelines' type partnership on the route from Coventry to Nuneaton. Even better would be to involve Arriva as well on the Nuneaton to Leicester part of the route which would maximise savings for all operators and avoid competing journeys over the route.

Passengers would also benefit as they could use their ticket on any operators vehicle. We need some joined up and cooperative thinking in these difficult times.

Not sure why you think the fares would have been lower given that the overall entity would have had an even larger market share than it already has!

Tony

QuoteNot sure why you think the fares would have been lower given that the overall entity would have had an even larger market share than it already has!
Because National Express's whole principle for the last few years has been lower fares, more passengers.

j789

Quote from: Straightlines on November 24, 2022, 07:04:22 PMNot sure why you think the fares would have been lower given that the overall entity would have had an even larger market share than it already has!
Perhaps because of you compare the fares of NXWM with Stagecoach Midlands Nat Ex are considerably cheaper, particularly day tickets. 

Yes obviously the West Midlands is more populous and better bus territory but when Nat Ex operate outside the West Mids boundary they still charge cheaper fares than Stagecoach, First, Arriva etc. The 144 Longbridge to Bromsgrove is a case in point - with First that return journey would now be £7.50 if they still ran the route, it's £4 with Nat Ex.

Straightlines

Quote from: Tony on November 24, 2022, 07:08:26 PMBecause National Express's whole principle for the last few years has been lower fares, more passengers.

That mentality is easier when you operate in the second largest City. A lot harder in somewhere like Wellesbourne!

Tony

QuoteThat mentality is easier when you operate in the second largest City. A lot harder in somewhere like Wellesbourne!
It was still the principle that was to be used Nationwide. If you have a bus service that carries 20 passengers a journey, holding fares and attracting just one extra passenger gives you a 5% revenue increase and gives you more revenue than increasing fares by 5% and losing one passenger.

Yes fares in country areas need to be higher than urban areas, but they already are generally, but the principle of holding fares and getting extra passengers still can apply

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk