News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

How do I access the free wi-fi?

Started by windy miller, June 28, 2021, 05:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windy miller

can someone explain to me how I can get free Wi-fi on west mids buses?
   I am a complete novice with smart phones  I have a PAYG chip which
  is telling me I have no credit available. despite paying £10 but I haven't made
   a call/text yet. I dont have access to the net either so where has all the credit gone ?
   I have a BT phone/unlimited broadband facility which should allow me
  access to hot spots  or (at least) free access in my own home but that
doesn't appear to be working either   help 
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Pat

Quote from: windy miller on June 28, 2021, 05:07:19 PM
  can someone explain to me how I can get free Wi-fi on west mids buses?
   I am a complete novice with smart phones  I have a PAYG chip which
  is telling me I have no credit available. despite paying £10 but I haven't made
   a call/text yet. I dont have access to the net either so where has all the credit gone ?
   I have a BT phone/unlimited broadband facility which should allow me
  access to hot spots  or (at least) free access in my own home but that
doesn't appear to be working either   help
Accessing wifi on buses works pretty much the same as in your own home.  Firstly, open up the wifi page on your phone settings, and a list of available wifi networks will appear.  Then, select the wifi network for the operator you're using.  You'll be asked to input some details (name, email address etc) then, you should be good to go.

windy miller

Many thanks for the help I had no problem finding the right page from settings but I had no access to a key pad or a cursor to allow me to enter a pin or user name without losing the first page again..  The train tracker system is easy to use on a desktop  but cant figure out how to find the info on a smart phone.

Pat

Quote from: windy miller on July 05, 2021, 02:02:11 AM
  Many thanks for the help I had no problem finding the right page from settings but I had no access to a key pad or a cursor to allow me to enter a pin or user name without losing the first page again..  The train tracker system is easy to use on a desktop  but cant figure out how to find the info on a smart phone.
You should just be able to tap the boxes to enter a username and password, then the keyboard will appear. 

windy miller

Yes it was so simple But not so obvious unfortunately! Many thanks
     I have since been able to find apps for LNER and Scotrail  Only problem
  I found was Unlike the Apps for realtime on a PC where you can simply
   enter the Vehicle/unit you are looking for and you get both the Next service
   the unit is booked for AND also get a very realistic picture to go with it.!
   The app on the smartphone will  give information if you have chosen the 
   right page that is, but I cant get images of the train set? maybe they are
     not ..permitted.... I'll keep trying

karl724223

Free Wi-Fi ending end of 2023 on nx buses 
From company email 

Westy

Quote from: karl724223 on December 14, 2023, 02:37:21 PMFree Wi-Fi ending end of 2023 on nx buses
From company email
So what replaces it?

Nothing, or something else?

On a similar vein to the original post, does anyone have the Diamond details please, as the screen doesnt stop on long enough, to get the log on details?

karl724223

Quote from: Westy on December 14, 2023, 04:41:17 PMSo what replaces it?

Nothing, or something else?

On a similar vein to the original post, does anyone have the Diamond details please, as the screen doesnt stop on long enough, to get the log on details?
The clue is free Wi-Fi Ending

hlliwmai

Stu

Quote from: hlliwmai on December 14, 2023, 06:12:20 PMHas a reason been stated as to why?
Cost, at a guess.

Perhaps the provider is increasing their usage costs, and NX aren't prepared to absorb these any further.

(Nothing is ever truly 'free', someone is paying for it elsewhere!)

Or maybe the service is being used and abused by too many people, so by making it chargeable it is fairer on those who need to use it.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on December 14, 2023, 06:52:59 PMCost, at a guess.

Perhaps the provider is increasing their usage costs, and NX aren't prepared to absorb these any further.

(Nothing is ever truly 'free', someone is paying for it elsewhere!)

Or maybe the service is being used and abused by too many people, so by making it chargeable it is fairer on those who need to use it.
The company email states only 1% of passengers actually use it.

Stu

Quote from: Tony on December 14, 2023, 07:09:16 PMThe company email states only 1% of passengers actually use it.
Oh well then clearly its not worth the cost of providing this service if passengers don't use it.

Most mobile phone contracts come with huge amounts of data allowance, and many people have 4G/5G phones with fast mobile data connections, so a 'limited' free Wi-Fi service probably isn't that appealing any more.

I can understand coaches and trains having free wi-fi for longer distance journeys, but I never really saw the point of this on local bus journeys.

Maybe now bus operators will realise that 'gimmicks' such as these aren't what attracts people to use buses after all!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on December 14, 2023, 07:24:37 PMI can understand coaches and trains having free wi-fi for longer distance journeys, but I never really saw the point of this on local bus journeys.

You can access the free wifi on a short distance local West Midlands trains service such as from Moor Street to The Hawthorns/Stourbride Junction. All trains seem to have it as well as some stations.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Sh4318

Quote from: 2206 on December 14, 2023, 07:26:03 PMYou can access the free wifi on a short distance local West Midlands trains service such as from Moor Street to The Hawthorns/Stourbride Junction. All trains seem to have it as well as some stations.
Trains are more set up for scenarios where WiFi would be helpful, i.e. working on a laptop, using it as a substitute for mobile data when going under tunnels or in rural areas. Even the Snow Hill lines in length run over an hour, from end to end
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Quote from: Sh4318 on December 16, 2023, 12:50:14 AMTrains are more set up for scenarios where WiFi would be helpful, i.e. working on a laptop, using it as a substitute for mobile data when going under tunnels or in rural areas. Even the Snow Hill lines in length run over an hour, from end to end
I think hardly anyone uses them end to end. When you get to Snow Hill in the evening peak most of the train near enough empties and a new load of passengers get on. Most people make short journeys on there similar to short journeys on a bus I would guess. Those 172s don't have tables either so not much space for working on a laptop.
It might even be not many use the West Midlands Railway wifi either, I don't know?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk