News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

10th Anniversary

Started by Roy, March 10, 2021, 09:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

If you look at the site's home page, you will see that it was founded exactly 10 years ago today, on 10 March 2011.  Since then, it has been visited over 4.8 million times - that's nearly half a million per year.  I think we should congratulate Tony on this achievement and thank him for all the hard work he, and his administrators, have put in to develop this site.  Personally, although I could have happily throttled one or two of the members at times (one in particular), this site has been instrumental in keeping me up to date with news and opinion on the bus front.

I hope you will all join me in thanking Tony and celebrating this site's 10th anniversary.   

stephen ford

I agree with your comments thank you Tony and his team it keeps me in touch with all the comings and goings. And it was nice to see this morning a picture of a midland red bus on my old route the 194 which brought back memories.

MK

Well said, Roy.

I couldn't agree more. I think that Tony and the Administrators/Moderators have done/are doing an excellent job - and long may it continue.

Here's to the next 10 years.

Mayfield

Congratulations on 10 years.
More old Midland Red photo's from the 60'# & 70's please.

JIM H

10 years of up to-date information is a superb achievement, and i'm very grateful for it especially remembering when i started in the 1950's with the latest news at least a month old.

Stuharris 6360

Contratulations @Tony on 10 years, heres to the next ten!!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

37351ml

I echo Roy’s sentiments and thank Tony and the team for their time in creating and running this site.

Stu

Quote from: Roy on March 10, 2021, 09:02:16 AM
I think we should congratulate Tony on this achievement and thank him for all the hard work he, and his administrators, have put in to develop this site.

Thanks to all for the kind comments, but Tony does deserve all the credit, especially for the main photo site, as he created and maintains that all by himself, and with the exception of a few 'guest contributors', are all his own photo content.

I would not envy anyone who faced the task of somehow 'modernising' the main photo site, which is why I've never offered  ;D

I'll just stick to keeping this forum running smoothly for now!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on March 10, 2021, 06:43:28 PM
Thanks to all for the kind comments, but Tony does deserve all the credit, especially for the main photo site, as he created and maintains that all by himself, and with the exception of a few 'guest contributors', are all his own photo content.

I would not envy anyone who faced the task of somehow 'modernising' the main photo site, which is why I've never offered  ;D

I'll just stick to keeping this forum running smoothly for now!

Thank you

I think there is getting on for 100,000 photos on the main site now. It started off just as somewhere to try an put a photo of every service bus you would see in the West Midlands. It now has photos of over 25,000 different vehicles currently in service in the UK along with several thousand that have now met their maker just of my own. Then there's the few thousand rail photos along with those from other people. Thanks to James Holloway who has just sent me a batch of superb old photos to put on. The first three Midland Red ones went on last night, some WMPTE ones going on tonight.

Just for clarity, before people inundate me with emails, in general I only use other peoples if they are vehicles or trains I haven't got myself, or are particularly newsworthy.

I would love to be able to put more of other peoples on, but just don't have the time until I decide to retire. I am still sitting on about 3,000 other peoples photos I want to put on, but haven't had the time to yet.

If anyone does want any of their photos putting on from the WMPTE era they will take priority over any others!

monkeyjoe

Congratulations to you all, interesting reading over the years. Like the picture of the 194, see that even in the 60s that corridor had old knackered bus on it too. (Only joking). Thanks for all the time and effort etc.

Tony

Quote from: monkeyjoe on March 10, 2021, 07:05:45 PM
Congratulations to you all, interesting reading over the years. Like the picture of the 194, see that even in the 60s that corridor had old knackered bus on it too. (Only joking). Thanks for all the time and effort etc.

The 194 didn't even run in most of the 1960s! It started sometime around 1968. There's a bit of a story I still remember from my childhood when Midland Red first proposed it. The people of Hurst Lane North kicked up a huge fuss saying they didn't want buses driving down their road, so in spite Midland Red ran buses anyway, but didn't put any bus stops on Hurst Lane North for them to catch it, and that is why, to this day, there is such a long gap without a stop between Green Lane and Chester Road.

Tony

Quote from: Stu on March 10, 2021, 06:43:28 PM

It really could do with modernising, I could do with finding a new way of updating it. I have used Microsoft Expressions from day 1, which is really easy to use, as I have no idea what I was doing initially, but now Expressions is unsupported and does cause me problems, sometimes randomly closing and losing stuff I have done and taking ages to update.

If anyone has any suggestion on a programme I could use for updating 50,000 html pages let me know!

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Tony on March 10, 2021, 07:12:37 PM
The 194 didn't even run in most of the 1960s! It started sometime around 1968. There's a bit of a story I still remember from my childhood when Midland Red first proposed it. The people of Hurst Lane North kicked up a huge fuss saying they didn't want buses driving down their road, so in spite Midland Red ran buses anyway, but didn't put any bus stops on Hurst Lane North for them to catch it, and that is why, to this day, there is such a long gap without a stop between Green Lane and Chester Road.

Just assumed because of the cars, looked like a scene from a Carry on film, if only i was old enough lol. I do remember back in the day residents always used to moan about something; how times have changed.

mesub

I haven't been here as long as the other regulars but congratulations on 10 years!
I'm sure that running this hasn't been easy alongside your job but you've done a really good job and hopefully you continue!
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

busfan2847

Congratulations to Tony and the team.

As an expatriate outside of Chicago this site has kept me up to date with goings on in the West Midlands.

Thanks and here's to another 10 years.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk