News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Coventry electric buses

Started by Ben, March 18, 2020, 12:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Hardy

winston

cardew

An interesting development with Zenobe owning the vehicles and providing infrastructure with NX paying them as a service provider. If I am reading it correctly.

Stu

Quote from: winston on February 17, 2022, 03:50:29 PM
ADL are supplying 130 new Electric double decker buses for NXC:
https://www.alexander-dennis.com/media/news/2022/february/byd-adl-partnership-to-build-130-electric-double-deckers-for-zenob%C4%93-and-national-express-coventry/

Quote from: cardew on February 17, 2022, 06:07:12 PM
An interesting development with Zenobe owning the vehicles and providing infrastructure with NX paying them as a service provider. If I am reading it correctly.

That's how I'm reading it too.

I was told (or at least overheard!) before that the current batch of EVs cost just under half a million pounds each.

Now I imagine that due to buying in bulk, production costs might come down somewhat but even so, for a quantity of 130 vehicles at that rate, you'd be looking at a purchase price of £50-65 million.

That's an awful lot of money for anyone to be investing, and I don't think even National Express are that 'cash-rich'.  ;D

I've never heard of this Zenobe outfit before, but I would imagine they are being backed by some massive hedge-fund firm. Of course the £50m from the DoT awarded to the WMCA is a nice 'helping-hand'.

Call me cynical, but we end up with a model which sees private companies operating public bus services, using vehicles owned by investment companies and not the operators themselves, paid for by taxpayers money, and then 'leased back' to the operators.

I mean in a way, its good for bus operators as they don't have to commit to those kinds of financial investments, but then what happens if as an operator you fail to meet your commitment to pay the 'service provider'?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on February 17, 2022, 07:32:55 PM
That's how I'm reading it too.

I was told (or at least overheard!) before that the current batch of EVs cost just under half a million pounds each.

Now I imagine that due to buying in bulk, production costs might come down somewhat but even so, for a quantity of 130 vehicles at that rate, you'd be looking at a purchase price of £50-65 million.

That's an awful lot of money for anyone to be investing, and I don't think even National Express are that 'cash-rich'.  ;D

I've never heard of this Zenobe outfit before, but I would imagine they are being backed by some massive hedge-fund firm. Of course the £50m from the DoT awarded to the WMCA is a nice 'helping-hand'.

Call me cynical, but we end up with a model which sees private companies operating public bus services, using vehicles owned by investment companies and not the operators themselves, paid for by taxpayers money, and then 'leased back' to the operators.

I mean in a way, its good for bus operators as they don't have to commit to those kinds of financial investments, but then what happens if as an operator you fail to meet your commitment to pay the 'service provider'?

Zenobe are the company that has installed all the charging equipment in the garages for the electric buses to run.

This was described to me as a system similar to how railway rolling stock is leased and isn't that different to operators who have all their vehicles on lease from Dawsons or Mistral

Tony

The government £50m has to go towards abou 300 buses an all the charging kit, and the improved power supplied into all the garages,  so us only a small part of the £60m these 130 buses cost

cardew

Given the "big-bang" nature and short timescales of the Coventry project I can see why this approach appeals. Whether it sets the pattern for other garages where perhaps a more phased approach can be taken (and possible conversion of NX owned vehicles?) remains to be seen. Zenobe certainly seem to have big money behind them and are ambitious.

Tony

Registration numbers of the next 42 electrics are now on the main site
E001 upwards (wmbusphotos.com)

Jack6101

Quote from: Tony on May 27, 2022, 08:59:49 PMRegistration numbers of the next 42 electrics are now on the main site
I'm guessing the first ones will start arriving in the next few weeks ? 
Local routes
74-Dudley -great bridge-west Brom-soho road-hockey-Birmingham
87-Dudley-tividale-oldbury-smethick-Dudley road , city hosp, Birmingham
126-Dudley-Birchley island-bearwood-Birmingham
14- Dudley - Oakham -whiteheath- blackheath- Quinton - helsowen
14A- Dudley - Oakham ( city road ) - blackheath - oldhill - Cradley Heath- quarry bank - merry hill

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Jack6101 on May 27, 2022, 11:10:50 PMI'm guessing the first ones will start arriving in the next few weeks ?

As they are 22 reg it looks hopeful.

Stu

Quote from: Tony on May 27, 2022, 08:59:49 PMRegistration numbers of the next 42 electrics are now on the main site
There's 46 in that latest batch
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

QuoteThere's 46 in that latest batch
Yes, they are coming in 46, 42, 42 and my brain was in '42' mode

BK63 YWP

Are the 4 EVs at mullanys have the same interior spec as the normal electrics?
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Tony

QuoteAre the 4 EVs at mullanys have the same interior spec as the normal electrics?
Slightly different spec

Dennis Dart Plaxton Pointer

The new Enviro400 MMC's have now started to be transferred into Coventry Garage so we could start see quite a few of the Tridents & Gemini's be withdrawn soon and see the new EV's replace them. 4 transferred yesterday and more have been expected today of the 130 new buses we're getting. They are also in the new NX Cov livery and have a slightly different interior trim to the current EV's running on the 8 & 9's

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk