News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Coventry Network Review - September 2019

Started by JPC, June 19, 2019, 10:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highland

The traffic commissioner sets the definition of a frequent service as every 10 minutes or less. You'll see that 12X, 13 and 21 timetables are described this way too.

Tony

Quote from: highland on August 30, 2019, 04:55:34 PM
The traffic commissioner sets the definition of a frequent service as every 10 minutes or less. You'll see that 12X, 13 and 21 timetables are described this way too.

TfWM still want a full timetable registered to make the realtime etc work properly

JoNi

Quote from: highland on August 30, 2019, 04:55:34 PM

I should have phoned a friend who's swotting up on this stuff.

Those familiar with Coventry's buses know they ran perfectly  well for many years with timing points only at outer terminals and the city centre, places where adequate layover existed for more than one vehicle to stand.
You only have to compare the current City Centre bus map with one from 1985 to realise how many access points for buses that like many cities have been lost to taxis and public realm!

Written while standing at a bus stop served by a 10 minute headway with a familiar number showing departure times and claiming to be turn up and go!

Tony

Quote from: JoNi on August 30, 2019, 07:15:54 PM
I should have phoned a friend who's swotting up on this stuff.

Those familiar with Coventry's buses know they ran perfectly  well for many years with timing points only at outer terminals and the city centre, places where adequate layover existed for more than one vehicle to stand.
You only have to compare the current City Centre bus map with one from 1985 to realise how many access points for buses that like many cities have been lost to taxis and public realm!

Written while standing at a bus stop served by a 10 minute headway with a familiar number showing departure times and claiming to be turn up and go!

Try registering a service with only timing points at either end and it will be thrown out as unacceptable.

Even in the times you refer to they were not as simple as you state. Drivers & conductors were issued with instruction on how long they got between various timing points along the route.

JoNi

Quote from: Tony on August 30, 2019, 07:35:16 PM
Try registering a service with only timing points at either end and it will be thrown out as unacceptable.

Even in the times you refer to they were not as simple as you state. Drivers & conductors were issued with instruction on how long they got between various timing points along the route.

I accept times have changed re registering of bus service timing points.
Certainly I remember 32/33 catching each other up in Pool Meadow Bus Station on 15 minute combined headways in evenings and on Sundays.

Tony

Quote from: JoNi on August 30, 2019, 08:29:09 PM
I accept times have changed re registering of bus service timing points.
Certainly I remember 32/33 catching each other up in Pool Meadow Bus Station on 15 minute combined headways in evenings and on Sundays.

And you complain about service reliability now?

JoNi

Quote from: JPC on August 29, 2019, 08:27:53 PM
Timetables now on Traveline, indicating a few tweaks in the city centre stopping arrangements including..

13/13A/16 to Whitmore Pk/Keresley will park at the shelter in the Burges,
3/3A coming in from Holbrooks will (à la 16A) fly past Pool Meadow but doesn't stop anywhere near it,
4/4A/8/8A/10 will not stop inbound on Croft Rd but will instead stop around the corner on Queen Victoria Rd.

Over on the way to Tanyard Farm is the 6/6A not stopping at Sainsbury's on Herald Avenue (which will cause a load of moans) or is that a mistake again? (which has happened before here).

Something seems to have happened to the 6/A on evenings and Sundays with 6 going to Victoria Farm and 6A to Little Heath setting off via the currect routes from Tanyard Farm but on the opposite half hour from the existing timetable!

JoNi

Quote from: Tony on August 30, 2019, 08:41:53 PM
And you complain about service reliability now?
If I recollect the last time I made a complaint to NX about a number 9 bus not running from Leasowes on a 30 minute headway I didn't even get a reply.

The logic is simple
Poor performance is poor management and
Poor management is poor leadership!

paulb1973

Spotted two chaps on 16 Sept on Keresley Rd replacing the plate on a bus stop there, showing 16, 735 etc. But on Humber Rd the two stops quite close to Bolingbroke Road currently used by the 16A [but not for much longer] now show '735 towards Binley' - the 735 doesn't run anywhere near there does it?! Is there another service 735. A new outbound stop has appeared on the same road between Terry Rd and the aforementioned Bolingbroke Rd (the section used by the old 3/4 for many years).

JPC

The 735 (Coventry-Ansley) has a.m/p.m journeys which extend on school days between Pool Meadow and Blue Coat school serving stops on Humber Rd, Sky Blue Way, Gosford St, Cox St and Fairfax St baths.

paulb1973

Quote from: JPC on September 17, 2019, 10:37:17 PM
The 735 (Coventry-Ansley) has a.m/p.m journeys which extend on school days between Pool Meadow and Blue Coat school serving stops on Humber Rd, Sky Blue Way, Gosford St, Cox St and Fairfax St baths.

Gotcha, that would explain it, the Traveline website wasn't showing that bit. I can't imagine those two stops are going to see much use! - but it saves removing them I suppose.

JoNi

A request for someone to obtain a 4 timetable from the Travel Centre was met with it gone back to be reprinted due to mistakes!

Lukeeee2018

The stops on the Sunday section were printed in reverse order on the University Hospital - Tile Hill section.

JoNi

Quote from: Lukeeee2018 on September 18, 2019, 03:53:53 PM
The stops on the Sunday section were printed in reverse order on the University Hospital - Tile Hill section.

Thanks, There is a correct timetable of different format on the NXC website appears to be a duplication of effort in an era of the Alliance.

JoNi

First impressions of weekday

3/A E200
4   B7
5   B7
23 DD gemini

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk