News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Coventry Network Review - September 2019

Started by JPC, June 19, 2019, 10:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulb1973

Quote from: highland on August 15, 2019, 06:57:43 PM
A few observations:
- the 5 is still going to Arena Park every 30 minutes on weekdays! In the peak, though, the 5 goes to every 20m, and only every other bus goes beyond Burnaby Road. No service to/from Arena Park before about 7am and after about 8pm.
- the 7 is every 30m during the day, then every 20m during the peak.
- 5/7 every 20m combined on Sundays, one to Brownshill Green, one to Arena Park, one to Burnaby Road.
- the 4 is every 15m throughout the whole route, which is a doubling of frequency on the old 18 route. Every 30m in the evenings and on Sundays on the Uni Hospital half, only hourly on the Tile Hill half.
- the 4 (18) has lost timing points at Village Hotel and Bradney Green.
- the 4A is the old 19, timings appear to be nearly identical.
- the 3/3A is every 10m combined, which is the same as the old 23/23A frequency but sees the Arena Park half of the old 4 go from every 15 to every 10 minutes. Combined half-hourly on evenings and Sundays.
- I can't see any major changes to the 6/6A.

We don't know the actual terminal point for these 'shortened' Radford 5 journeys - a loop around Everdon Rd and back again?

highland

Given the 10/10A is registered to Tile Hill and Westwood Business Park, I reckon one is the Earlsdon ex-5 and the other is the all day WBP, with both continuing in the other direction to Bell Green, maintaining the 15m frequency there.

highland

From the timetable, the timing point to city is at 'Holbrooks Lane' at the timing point to Arena Park is at 'Burnaby Lane', so it looks like the 5 will end at the 'Burnaby Road' stop on Holbrooks lane, round the roundabout, and start at the 'Holbrooks Lane' bus stop on Burnaby Road.

JoNi

Quote from: highland on August 15, 2019, 07:42:09 PM
From the timetable, the timing point to city is at 'Holbrooks Lane' at the timing point to Arena Park is at 'Burnaby Lane', so it looks like the 5 will end at the 'Burnaby Road' stop on Holbrooks lane, round the roundabout, and start at the 'Holbrooks Lane' bus stop on Burnaby Road.
This will become clear when timetables are published on Traveline. Just from the number of guesses made about routes it shows how useful roads served information was on timetables.

paulb1973

Quote from: JoNi on August 15, 2019, 07:47:25 PM
This will become clear when timetables are published on Traveline. Just from the number of guesses made about routes it shows how useful roads served information was on timetables.

Those online NXC timetables don't actually list all the roads served - although in this case you can probably work most of it out. Although not all 5 journeys will go through to the Arena Park - a reasonable service/frequency has been maintained on that side of the city it seems; for a moment I had visions of Everdon Rd/Lythalls Lane getting nothing.

JoNi

Quote from: paulb1973 on August 15, 2019, 08:22:10 PM
Those online NXC timetables don't actually list all the roads served - although in this case you can probably work most of it out. Although not all 5 journeys will go through to the Arena Park - a reasonable service/frequency has been maintained on that side of the city it seems; for a moment I had visions of Everdon Rd/Lythalls Lane getting nothing.
I was thinking about whether the 3/3A serves Eagle Street

highland

highland

Things to note:
- 8 8A no longer serve the railway station, as suggested in the consultation, but instead go to Eastern Green on the old 10 route, maintaining the same 15m frequency there.
- 10: Bell Green - Coventry - Earlsdon - Tile Hill South (i.e. the old 5), still every 30m.
- 10A: Bell Green - Coventry - Cannon Park - Prior Deram Walk - Westwood Business Park (i.e. the old 18A), still every 30m.
- in the evening and on Sundays, the 10 goes to every 30 minutes on the Bell Green side, with one bus an hour continuing to Canley Station, as per the current 5.
- the current 10A becomes the 10S.
- the frequency of the 11 has increased from every 20 to every 15 minutes. The 11U is no more, and instead morning/afternoon short journeys are just stated on the timetable as being term time only.
- the 12X is still advertised as being 'at frequent intervals', so probably stays the same at every 10 minutes.

The 13 timetable is now online, too:

paulb1973

Quote from: JoNi on August 16, 2019, 08:48:12 AM
I was thinking about whether the 3/3A serves Eagle Street

We're still not totally clear of the routing of the 23 on the eastern side of the city - Sunbeam Way or is it via Aldermoor Lane/Bolingbroke Road? Presumably the 4 diverted via Hillfields negates the need to run a new '23A' (what was the 16A). There was talk of running into the new housing estate near Terry Rd/Humber Rd in the consultation, but I've heard nothing more on that.

paulb1973

Quote from: JPC on August 16, 2019, 02:21:02 PM
https://nxbus.co.uk/coventry/information/service-changes/coventry-service-changes-from-22nd-september-2019

That just about tells us what we need to know - pretty-much as expected from a brief glance. And the 23 will, more or less, run to the old 3/4 routing in the Stoke area.

It does seem Oxford Street in Hillfields has lost its service - but that only equates to one bus stop on each side and it appears the 3/3A is running via Eagle Street etc to get to Foleshill Rd (so another return to service 3 & 4 of old). Sunbeam Way will be bus-less - but nothing actually stopped on that anyway.

JoNi

Looks likely the 10 in the evening interworks with 23.

paulb1973

Quote from: JoNi on August 16, 2019, 05:47:45 PM
Looks likely the 10 shorts in the evening interwork with 23.

I wonder how long that 23 will run in that form!? Its a long way from University Hospital/Binley to Allesley Park and don't forget Councillor Bally Singh rallying the troops if things start getting unreliable over on the Allesley Park side. They've been tinkering with that service for some time now (2/3/3a, 2/3 & 23 then 23/23a) how long will this attempt last!

paulb1973

Just looking through the changes again - is there a direct replacement for the 8/8A City to Rail Station segment ? (I can't see one unless I'm missing the obvious). Will another service heading to the south or west side of the city be diverted to serve the Rail Station Bus Hub (realistically the 10 or 10a). Or is it felt the 9/9A, 11/12X provide adequate coverage. There has been a City Centre - Rail Station service since the late 60s with the introduction of the 25, later 17/27 (reduced to just 27 much later on) & then of-course the 8/8A.

Tony

Quote from: paulb1973 on August 17, 2019, 08:46:42 PM
Just looking through the changes again - is there a direct replacement for the 8/8A City to Rail Station segment ? (I can't see one unless I'm missing the obvious). Will another service heading to the south or west side of the city be diverted to serve the Rail Station Bus Hub (realistically the 10 or 10a). Or is it felt the 9/9A, 11/12X provide adequate coverage. There has been a City Centre - Rail Station service since the late 60s with the introduction of the 25, later 17/27 (reduced to just 27 much later on) & then of-course the 8/8A.

The 12x alone is as frequent as the 25 ever was without the 9 and 11

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk