News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Walsall Garage

Started by Nathan4775, April 06, 2012, 06:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

l.murphy123

I have been in contact with TfWM asking why the Hatherton Road stand (WD) for Cannock services doesn't have a real-time departure screen. They told me it doesn't have a nearby power supply which is a lame excuse given they are spending £680,000 on refurbing the bus station. It's not much to ask!
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

Tony

I presume you have had a quote and know how much council tax money would be needed to provide it then

l.murphy123

Quote from: Tony on August 08, 2019, 03:38:35 PM
I presume you have had a quote and know how much council tax money would be needed to provide it then

I was hoping for a sarcastic comment and you didn't let me down. They are spending nearly £700,000 but cant fit an additional display with a cable to the nearest point.
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71

Tony

Quote from: l.murphy123 on August 08, 2019, 05:45:18 PM
I was hoping for a sarcastic comment and you didn't let me down. They are spending nearly £700,000 but cant fit an additional display with a cable to the nearest point.

Where's the nearest point then?
How long has the pavement got to be dug up for?

l.murphy123

Quote from: Tony on August 08, 2019, 06:09:02 PM
Where's the nearest point then?
How long has the pavement got to be dug up for?

That's up to them to sort out with their £700,000 and skilled workforce. If I asked for Greggs to bring out a new pastie I wouldn't expect to be asked for the recipe or costs.
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71

Tony

Quote from: l.murphy123 on August 08, 2019, 07:55:17 PM
That's up to them to sort out with their £700,000 and skilled workforce. If I asked for Greggs to bring out a new pastie I wouldn't expect to be asked for the recipe or costs.

You really haven't a clue have you.
TfWM don't employ people who dig roads up. They have to pay contractors which can run to 6 figures.
Why don't you go and ask Greggs to bring out a new pasty and see what answer you get

l.murphy123

Quote from: Tony on August 08, 2019, 08:12:40 PM
You really haven't a clue have you.
TfWM don't employ people who dig roads up. They have to pay contractors which can run to 6 figures.
Why don't you go and ask Greggs to bring out a new pasty and see what answer you get

Why are you so sarcastic and rude to members on your forum? It's really not very nice. Rather than be so rude about it all you needed to say was the second line of your previous message.
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71

the trainbasher

Tbh, I can see both sides of the argument, yes it would cost quite a bit to do it as a stand alone project due to contractors, etc, fees.

On the other hand it is seen by most as an extension of the bus station, and not having RTI or similar on a stand used by numerous buses is a poor showing.

Really, the services that use that stand should be forced to use the bus station (in the case of Cannock bound services - maybe in the same row as the 31/32 perhaps?) Or that stand should have been included as part of the bus station improvements to improve passenger facilities.

In reality though, both local and national governments have been forced to go down a path of austerity thanks to the Conservatives, a path which Britain did not need to go down.

There again, the Conservatives do have a habit of cutting things/forcing others to do their dirty work by funding it and then blaming local government/others when cuts come swinging.

At least labour spent money where it was needed, not leaving councils on the verge of going bust (such as Northamptonshire!)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

l.murphy123

Quote from: the trainbasher on August 08, 2019, 09:42:19 PM
Tbh, I can see both sides of the argument, yes it would cost quite a bit to do it as a stand alone project due to contractors, etc, fees.

On the other hand it is seen by most as an extension of the bus station, and not having RTI or similar on a stand used by numerous buses is a poor showing.

Really, the services that use that stand should be forced to use the bus station (in the case of Cannock bound services - maybe in the same row as the 31/32 perhaps?) Or that stand should have been included as part of the bus station improvements to improve passenger facilities.

In reality though, both local and national governments have been forced to go down a path of austerity thanks to the Conservatives, a path which Britain did not need to go down.

There again, the Conservatives do have a habit of cutting things/forcing others to do their dirty work by funding it and then blaming local government/others when cuts come swinging.

At least labour spent money where it was needed, not leaving councils on the verge of going bust (such as Northamptonshire!)

Thanks this is the kind of comment I was actually hoping for! Now is the best time to do it I should think, while contractors are doing other jobs on the station. They did try to get the number 1 and 2 in the main bus station but they didn't fit (source for Tony: Simon at Arriva) which is a shame as they'd be more likely to pick people up going to Bloxwich.
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71

Bob

Is Arriva's desperate re hash of the number 1 ( despite not having anywhere near enough Sapphire buses for it and use of tat daily)causing any issues with stand blocking etc either end? Somethings surely got to give, Arriva must be losing a lot of money, especially on the 2 with its insane rerouting and journey time!

l.murphy123

Quote from: Bob on August 08, 2019, 09:57:36 PM
Is Arriva's desperate re hash of the number 1 ( despite not having anywhere near enough Sapphire buses for it and use of tat daily)causing any issues with stand blocking etc either end? Somethings surely got to give, Arriva must be losing a lot of money, especially on the 2 with its insane rerouting and journey time!

Very often two buses by the Job Centre at a time but doesn't block the main bus station. Cannock end as you know the 1 and X51 depart together bar 1 minute so yes.
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71

Quote from: l.murphy123 on August 08, 2019, 03:28:36 PM
I have been in contact with TfWM asking why the Hatherton Road stand (WD) for Cannock services doesn't have a real-time departure screen. They told me it doesn't have a nearby power supply which is a lame excuse given they are spending £680,000 on refurbing the bus station. It's not much to ask!
There must be thousands of passengers who use the hundreds of bus stops without RTI screens across the West Midlands, every single day and they all seem to manage fine. My local stop on the Washwood Heath Road doesn't have one, the only ones that have one on this corridor are at Saltley Gate & Fox & Goose I think. You could just download an app on your phone to check when the bus is coming, if you wanted to know.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Westy

Isn't there any services that could swop, to get all the Bloxwich Road routes together?

l.murphy123

Quote from: 2206 on August 08, 2019, 10:07:57 PM
There must be thousands of passengers who use the hundreds of bus stops without RTI screens across the West Midlands, every single day and they all seem to manage fine. My local stop on the Washwood Heath Road doesn't have one, the only ones that have one on this corridor are at Saltley Gate & Fox & Goose I think. You could just download an app on your phone to check when the bus is coming, if you wanted to know.

There's a difference between a general stop and a bus station stand. The amount of people mostly elderly that stand looking at the paper timetable. Just a thought considering the 700,000 budget.
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71

Michael Bevan

It looks like Walsall have a couple of new school services being introduced from the 1st of September. The 837 is a new route which I believe will run along the same route as the 159C, however it'll additionally be serving Aldridge School as well as St. Francis of Assisi. Walsall will also be running into the Tamworth area too with two school services running from Wilnecote to St. Francis of Assisi. One will be running via Fazeley and the other one will be running via Amington, Tamworth Railway Station and Hopwas. All timetables for these services are on the NX website.

SFA1/SFA2:

837:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk