News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Camp Hill Line - Moseley, Kings Heath & Hazelwell

Started by Stu, March 09, 2018, 08:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stu

New Kings Heath train station passed despite concerns over parking

The plan is part of the wider project to reintroduce passenger trains to the Camp Hill line, but there are now concerns surrounding streets and possibly Highbury Park will be targeted by people dumping their vehicles to hop on the train

Read more: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/new-kings-heath-train-station-17456017

That stretch of Alcester Road gets congested at the best of times, so I can see why this would be a concern.

But in my opinion, if this new station is for the benefit of residents in Kings Heath who commute into Birmingham, surely they're either already driving all the way into the city, or catching the 50 bus?

Would most passengers not simply walk to the new station to catch a train?

If people in Kings Heath want to drive to a train station to complete their journey, wouldn't they already be driving to Yardley Wood station, which is about ten minute drive away and has ample Park And Ride capacity? Or even Kings Norton station?

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Busboy105

Quote from: Stu on December 20, 2019, 07:30:14 PM
New Kings Heath train station passed despite concerns over parking

The plan is part of the wider project to reintroduce passenger trains to the Camp Hill line, but there are now concerns surrounding streets and possibly Highbury Park will be targeted by people dumping their vehicles to hop on the train

Read more: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/new-kings-heath-train-station-17456017

That stretch of Alcester Road gets congested at the best of times, so I can see why this would be a concern.

But in my opinion, if this new station is for the benefit of residents in Kings Heath who commute into Birmingham, surely they're either already driving all the way into the city, or catching the 50 bus?

Would most passengers not simply walk to the new station to catch a train?

If people in Kings Heath want to drive to a train station to complete their journey, wouldn't they already be driving to Yardley Wood station, which is about ten minute drive away and has ample Park And Ride capacity? Or even Kings Norton station?
Those are valid points you've made there. Since the Kings Heath station will cause cars blocking the road, is there even a point rebuilding the line? Moseley and Kings Heath are well served by the 50 which runs every 4 minutes, yes it gets packed during the peak but it still manages.

MW

Quote from: Busboy105 on December 20, 2019, 11:51:01 PM
Those are valid points you've made there. Since the Kings Heath station will cause cars blocking the road, is there even a point rebuilding the line? Moseley and Kings Heath are well served by the 50 which runs every 4 minutes, yes it gets packed during the peak but it still manages.

From the bus operators point of view, it's not going to be favoured. From the public point of view, it's much needed. The result of no train is not only the very frequent 50 route, but more importantly the ridiculous congestion all along the A435 from City to Kings Heath. I'd expect this train line to relieve the A435 significantly.

Think about how heavily invested NX are on the 50. As somebody who's driven the 50 (albeit Diamond), it's the busiest route in terms of passenger numbers I've seen in the West Midlands.

Tony

Quote from: Busboy105 on December 20, 2019, 11:51:01 PM

Trains attract people out of cars that houses can't,  hence the parking problem

Busboy105

Quote from: MW on December 20, 2019, 11:58:02 PM
From the bus operators point of view, it's not going to be favoured. From the public point of view, it's much needed. The result of no train is not only the very frequent 50 route, but more importantly the ridiculous congestion all along the A435 from City to Kings Heath. I'd expect this train line to relieve the A435 significantly.

Think about how heavily invested NX are on the 50. As somebody who's driven the 50 (albeit Diamond), it's the busiest route in terms of passenger numbers I've seen in the West Midlands.
That's why it's so frequent.

Kevin

I'll be honest. If people are concerned that parking for the station is going to be an issue then why would they drive there?
Take Hamstead for example, no parking available there but plenty of people still use the train, and no real traffic problems for the village (until it all gets used as a cut through when they demolish the A34 flyover).
I think the stations proposed are all within easy walking distance of most of the people that would use the train
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Busboy105

Quote from: Kevin on December 22, 2019, 10:56:55 AM
I'll be honest. If people are concerned that parking for the station is going to be an issue then why would they drive there?
Take Hamstead for example, no parking available there but plenty of people still use the train, and no real traffic problems for the village (until it all gets used as a cut through when they demolish the A34 flyover).
I think the stations proposed are all within easy walking distance of most of the people that would use the train
I don't think the traffic in Hamstead will get worse when the flyover gets demolished. It will be longer to get to town from there.

Kevin

Quote from: Busboy105 on December 22, 2019, 12:03:14 PM
I don't think the traffic in Hamstead will get worse when the flyover gets demolished. It will be longer to get to town from there.

I take your opinion and ignore it. Hamstead always gets used as a cut through when there's problems on the Walsall Road, while the works are taking place this will become a key route from J7 to the city centre
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

sonic84

Does anyone know if any passenger trains as using the Camp Hill Line at the moment?

There used to be a Cross Country train service to Bristol leaving New Street at xx43 which was booked to use the Camp Hill Line.

Does this still run that way, or does anyone know how I can find out please?

Tony

Quote from: sonic84 on August 07, 2021, 04:10:32 PM
Does anyone know if any passenger trains as using the Camp Hill Line at the moment?

There used to be a Cross Country train service to Bristol leaving New Street at xx43 which was booked to use the Camp Hill Line.

You can easily find out using real time trains.

Here are all the services due to use that line today
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:LIFODEJ/2021-08-07/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Stu

Quote from: sonic84 on August 07, 2021, 04:10:32 PM

I work in Sparkbrook, not far from the railway line. I often see passenger trains on that line, usually CrossCountry ones.
My locals:

BK63 YWP

Quote from: Stu on August 07, 2021, 04:46:39 PM
I work in Sparkbrook, not far from the railway line. I often see passenger trains on that line, usually CrossCountry ones.

I think that trains are diverted Via Camp Hill line to keep drivers updated on diversion if BHM to Bournville is closed. It's like the late night XC one from Cardiff and one from Bristol use the snow hill lines from Norton Jn by Worcester SH to the Galton Junction in Smethwick to BHM
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Stu

Quote from: BK63 YWP on August 07, 2021, 07:57:19 PM
I think that trains are diverted Via Camp Hill line to keep drivers updated on diversion if BHM to Bournville is closed. It's like the late night XC one from Cardiff and one from Bristol use the snow hill lines from Norton Jn by Worcester SH to the Galton Junction in Smethwick to BHM

I don't know much about train diagrams and movements and the like, to be honest.

Fro my own observations, there are already passenger services that use this line, alongside the numerous freight trains that I see/hear.

The difference in future will be that there will be new stations along this line that passenger trains will be able to serve, rather than just being a diversion or freight route.
My locals:

sonic84

Thanks so much.

Looks like it really varies for day to day.  Tomorrow there are easily 20+ passenger trains using this route but next week possible only around 5.

Really useful link so thank you for providing it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk