News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

First Kernow

Started by BK63 YWP, December 23, 2016, 12:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylanbusboy45

Quote from: John on April 29, 2018, 12:06:31 PM
Looking for some advice. Off to St Ives for a week at the start of September on holiday and am looking to have a day out to get photos of the buses around Cornwall, I've never been before so don't know the county.

Anyone know the best places to go, especially for the open top services and the ex-London buses, but also most other services.

I have read that the older London buses )T, V reg) are to shortly be withdrawn but also does anyone know if the newer ex-London (51, 02 and 52 reg) buses have more time left in service

Thanks

St Ives can provide some stunning pictures as the Bus Station backs onto the sea and most of the open top services go there. I recommend Truro and Penzance as they will provide you with the most services and most of the new E400MMCs can be seen (not sure on the E200MMCs as they haven't entered service yet) along with a good variety of other types. Truro and Penzance both have Bus Stations so it's easy to photograph everything

Trident 4194

Quote from: Dylanbusboy45 on April 29, 2018, 12:50:07 PM
St Ives can provide some stunning pictures as the Bus Station backs onto the sea and most of the open top services go there. I recommend Truro and Penzance as they will provide you with the most services and most of the new E400MMCs can be seen (not sure on the E200MMCs as they haven't entered service yet) along with a good variety of other types. Truro and Penzance both have Bus Stations so it's easy to photograph everything

Agree Truro is a good location for observing buses. Last time I went Western greyhound were operating Merc varios and some very elderly deckers too!!

John

Thanks all. That's great

winston

Quote from: John on April 29, 2018, 01:16:38 PM
Thanks all. That's great

Also, if you're going in term time, Truro College will produce 20-30 deckers all in one location at the same time for PM return trips. They take students all over Cornwall from the college. First Kernow service 211 onwards. The forecourt of Cambourne depot is also fairly open & viewable.

As already said, Truro & Penzance Bus Stations are your best bet for deckers.

StourportSam

I would agree Penzance and Truro bus stations are the best places - Camborne is also good because you can see many vehicles in the main depot, particularly early evening when services start to dwindle. Easy viewing from the road at the front.

St Austell bus station provides a good variety at times too, with one or two buses parked up used as staff buses, etc.

Newer vehicles are concentrated around Falmouth, Truro, St Austell and Bodmin including the U4 and T1/T2 services. That said, any bus turns up anywhere from what I've seen over the years.

Best places for older deckers:
Falmouth open top/ park and ride services
Routes around Helston
Penzance area
Truro college services mentioned by Winston
Truro to Newquay services such as 87/90/91 were a staple for old deckers last year but I haven't been to Cornwall since February. New buses have arrived since then.

A visit to Eden on the 101 can be interesting to see the bendy buses.

Quote from: StourportSam on May 02, 2018, 10:11:24 AM
I would agree Penzance and Truro bus stations are the best places - Camborne is also good because you can see many vehicles in the main depot, particularly early evening when services start to dwindle. Easy viewing from the road at the front.

St Austell bus station provides a good variety at times too, with one or two buses parked up used as staff buses, etc.

Newer vehicles are concentrated around Falmouth, Truro, St Austell and Bodmin including the U4 and T1/T2 services. That said, any bus turns up anywhere from what I've seen over the years.

Best places for older deckers:
Falmouth open top/ park and ride services
Routes around Helston
Penzance area
Truro college services mentioned by Winston
Truro to Newquay services such as 87/90/91 were a staple for old deckers last year but I haven't been to Cornwall since February. New buses have arrived since then.

A visit to Eden on the 101 can be interesting to see the bendy buses.
The Falmouth open top service has been scrapped, I believe.
QuoteKernow said in response to a comment on Facebook that all open top routes will be running except the 400 service around Falmouth which has been scrapped
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/first-kernow.103639/page-197#post-3417161
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

StourportSam

Quote from: 2206 on May 02, 2018, 05:00:28 PM
The Falmouth open top service has been scrapped, I believe.https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/first-kernow.103639/page-197#post-3417161

That's a shame but no surprise. It never seemed to be marketed much in the form it was for the past few years. The times I used or saw it, it was late and empty. The V reg open top used was very noisy too.

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

There are more new buses coming to Cornwall apparently.
QuoteYes Helston Area does look a little Neglected for now but it will see new buses as more are coming .

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/first-kernow.103639/page-226#post-3567012
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

I've just read on the kernow thread on rail forum.
Kernow are due 14 new Optares in January and they are additionally getting 5 mid- life Gemini.

"Stated on the First Kernow behind the scenes FB page that they're being signed off at the factory on 10 January. They're Optare, not ADL.
Other news is that 5 mid-life Volvo Gemini double decks are due. No idea where from. "

Looking at the facebook page it looks like they've branded some of the East Lancs Tridents for the L1/L2 -
https://www.facebook.com/199649664262360/photos/a.201544657406194/203149123912414/?type=3&theater

And these will be joined by 3 new Optare Solo SR -
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215658938378049&set=p.10215658938378049&type=3&theater

The new buses will be 6 new short optare  Solo SR for East Cornwall and 8 long Optare Solo SR for West Cornwall.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

BK63 YWP

According to a post on Facebook :- Behind the scenes at first kernow, they have adopted two ex Coventry beni buses
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

DJ

Just got sent this by a friend, they also appear to have an ex-Uno one too.

Edit: One of them is apparently BJ03ETL, not sure on the other right now.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

markcf83

Quote from: 2206 on December 25, 2018, 08:56:15 PM

Other news is that 5 mid-life Volvo Gemini double decks are due. No idea where from. "

They are coming from Glasgow.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

John

Quote from: markcf83 on March 02, 2019, 03:02:55 PM
They are coming from Glasgow.

Two, 37178 and 37179 should have arrived by now. One was parked in Taunton Bus Station yesterday or Thursday on the trip down from Scotland

markcf83

That's two of them. I wonder what the others are going to be given Glasgow is getting a lot of new Enviros currently.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk