News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Hopes and expectations on the buses in 2017

Started by Steve3229vp, December 23, 2016, 11:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j789

Quote from: Ashley 60171 on January 02, 2017, 04:48:53 PM
Would it be fair to say then that anybody predicting or hoping for a 144 upgrade might be more on the money than they first thought?

More likely Tridents 33401-5 would get traps like the NXWM ones of a similar age, it would be great to have the route upgraded with Streetdecks but I cn't see the cost outlay being worth it. The current Streetdecks are meant for the 44 route, even though the 1615 weekday service from Worcester is meant to be a Streetdeck. More likely the traps or buses moved from Leicester or Bristol.

Ashley 60171

Quote from: j789 on January 02, 2017, 07:17:30 PM
More likely Tridents 33401-5 would get traps like the NXWM ones of a similar age, it would be great to have the route upgraded with Streetdecks but I cn't see the cost outlay being worth it. The current Streetdecks are meant for the 44 route, even though the 1615 weekday service from Worcester is meant to be a Streetdeck. More likely the traps or buses moved from Leicester or Bristol.

Be some B9TL's going spare somewhere at some point you'd think. Think a full Streetdeck upgrade is just a personal wish I have to admit.

Eric Shaw

Another route which could be affected by the emissions regulations is the 10H on which Igo uses 02 reg Darts.

Tony

Quote from: Eric Shaw on January 03, 2017, 08:27:57 PM
Another route which could be affected by the emissions regulations is the 10H on which Igo uses 02 reg Darts.

No changes to Single Deck rules and it's rare for the two deckers on there nowadays

iansdavies

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: iansdavies on February 11, 2017, 08:58:48 PM
re open lea hall bus garage

Why ? I believe it was closed to help save operational costs and I think it has.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Steve3229vp

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on February 11, 2017, 10:24:13 PM
Why ? I believe it was closed to help save operational costs and I think it has.
I can't see how, most former Lea Hall garage services used to start from the outer terminus, now you have most starting from the City end or run dead from BC, BY or PB so how can that save operation costs ?

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Steve3229vp on February 12, 2017, 09:26:29 AM
I can't see how, most former Lea Hall garage services used to start from the outer terminus, now you have most starting from the City end or run dead from BC, BY or PB so how can that save operation costs ?

Couldn't you reverse that argument ? Journeys that used to end in the City Centre would have run dead back to Lea Hall. I think the routes were distributed to help minimize dead mileage and their revenue/ profit seems to be increasing year on year (I Think?) so it seems to have worked in the long run. 10 garages are easier to run than 11. I think they just consolidated their overall operations.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Steve3229vp on February 12, 2017, 09:26:29 AM

Is that a serious question, the point is you have one less operating building, all the bills and maintenance that goes with it. Reduced staffing to a degree (less cleaners / less canteen staff). The list goes on and of course consolidation of resources etc. Same haven't invested in the services since it's demise (or could that be about to change, who knows).

dingding

I can't think of one Lea Hall journey that would have terminated in the City Centre even in the morning peak. Everything used to be planned to minimise dead journies due to the old fuel tax rebate which could only be claimed for passenger mileage. Dead running was the evil of the bus scheduler!!

Gareth

I've just been looking at a variety of 94 timetables from 1988-2017 to see if the change of garage twice has really affected the service or dead mileage.
In 1988 at WH the first 16 journeys all started at City Centre. In 1993 also at WH only 4 out of the first 16 journeys went from city. The other 12 started at the garage. But the service started running earlier, so it's a slightly different first 16.
In 2000 when at LH, the timetable is pretty much the same, but services that once started or finished at WH garage were now to/from Fox and Goose. Leaving some customers on Washwood Heath Road without an as frequent service.

In 2017 under Perry Barr, although the frequency is slightly reduced compared to 1993/2000 passengers are better off than under WH or LH as many morning services start at Saltley.

It's difficult to compare afternoon/evening services as the current timetable just has 'frequent intervals'.

So whilst dead mileage could be argued as in distance from garage, the service for customers can be argued as better.

JoNi

For specific departures on "high frequency routes" Traveline West Midlands. In the case of the 94 late afternoon service is every 7/8 minutes on Monday to Fridays.

Eric Shaw

The Tridents at BC and YW have now largely been converted to euro6 and Tony has said the PN ones are being done. Logically the rest of the Gemini's should follow. This will leave the 42XX Volvo/Alexander's at PB and WB to be replaced before the end of May. If new vehicles are to be used we should hear about them soon, otherwise there will need to be some interesting transfers.

Tony

Quote from: Eric Shaw on February 24, 2017, 07:56:04 PM
The Tridents at BC and YW have now largely been converted to euro6 and Tony has said the PN ones are being done. Logically the rest of the Gemini's should follow. This will leave the 42XX Volvo/Alexander's at PB and WB to be replaced before the end of May. If new vehicles are to be used we should hear about them soon, otherwise there will need to be some interesting transfers.

Or traps fitted to 42xx Volvos which is what is going to happen

Trident 4194

Quote from: Tony on February 24, 2017, 07:58:44 PM
Or traps fitted to 42xx Volvos which is what is going to happen

Brilliant news. Do we have a finally date of withdrawal for y reg tridents?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk