News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

New NWM website

Started by Kevin, February 22, 2016, 01:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Anyone tried to use the new NWM website, especially the journey planning and timetables bit?

The previous one was fine, I could search for a place name (eg Tamworth or Halesowen) and it would return all the routes that serve there, with the full timetable and route map (without having to actually download it)

Now you have to know the service number or do the whole "journey planner" thing which isn't useful if you want to know general things like the frequency or the route it takes.
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Kevin on February 22, 2016, 01:57:10 PM
Anyone tried to use the new NWM website, especially the journey planning and timetables bit?

The previous one was fine, I could search for a place name (eg Tamworth or Halesowen) and it would return all the routes that serve there, with the full timetable and route map (without having to actually download it)

Now you have to know the service number or do the whole "journey planner" thing which isn't useful if you want to know general things like the frequency or the route it takes.

Also i tried to look for service changes, which you have to sign up for and are sent a weekly email (or so they say).
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

paulb1973

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on February 22, 2016, 02:07:23 PM
Also i tried to look for service changes, which you have to sign up for and are sent a weekly email (or so they say).

Yes, I've noticed that - I had the old Service Changes page as a fav, now it has suddenly become a dead link. Can't they just put them on their website? Can you search Bus Services by route number alone [without the name of the operator] think you could previously.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: paulb1973 on February 22, 2016, 02:46:00 PM
Yes, I've noticed that - I had the old Service Changes page as a fav, now it has suddenly become a dead link. Can't they just put them on their website? Can you search Bus Services by route number alone [without the name of the operator] think you could previously.

If you look at the timetables, then it shows either as current or a start from date, however without the service changes pages how do you know a service has changed.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Dom

Yes and if im honest its bloody awful

Kevin

Glad I ain't the only one then.
If I wanted a journey planner thing like that the previous version was kinda good enough, or just use Traveline. Age old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes into mind

Adam 404

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on February 22, 2016, 02:54:07 PM
If you look at the timetables, then it shows either as current or a start from date, however without the service changes pages how do you know a service has changed.
You have to have it emailed to you and so far, as I had registered on Thursday, haven't received an email... Which isn't overly convenient... I would of thought I may of got an email on Friday for Sundays Service changes but no...

Roy

The travel planner is a joke.  I decided to test it by asking to travel from home to New Street station.  The first two suggestions were :-

1.   16 mins Walk - Walk to Bromley Lane
2.   Approximately 13 mins Bus - Take the bus National Express West Midlands 257 toward Stourbridge, Stourbridge Bus Station
3.   Approximately 5 mins Train - Take the igo train towards Providence Street
4.   Approximately 2 mins Walk - Walk to Lye (West Midlands) Rail Station
5.   Approximately 29 mins Train - Take the London Midland train towards Birmingham Moor Street
6.   Approximately 2 mins Walk - Walk to Birmingham, Birmingham New Street Rail Station

1.   3 mins Walk - Walk to Bromley Lane Randall Close
2.   Approximately 21 mins Bus - Take the bus Hansons 226 toward Dudley (W Mids), Dudley Bus Station
3.   Approximately 13 mins Bus - Take the bus Central Buses 74A toward West Bromwich
4.   Approximately 2 mins Walk - Walk to Dudley Port Rail Station
5.   Approximately 15 mins Train - Take the London Midland train towards Birmingham New Street

A few thoughts.  What is an igo Train ?  Why direct me to Lye station when there is only a train every 30 minutes?  Why should I take a tour of Kates Hill on a 74A when I can catch a 74 direct to Dudley Port?  How many people can walk from the platform at Moor Street to New Street in 2 minutes?

Apart from that, it's brilliant!

uniquicity

Luckily the Traveline site is unchanged.

www.travelinemidlands.co.uk

RS

Quote from: uniquicity on February 22, 2016, 05:13:34 PM
Luckily the Traveline site is unchanged.

www.travelinemidlands.co.uk
Yet
London Euston

Other Walsall Tony

The new site also has far less coverage of bus services around the country. I suppose not many people need to know the times of buses from Hastings to Tunbridge Wells, but it was still useful!

I have sent a comment to Centro and suggest others do the same...
Tony

Stu

Quote from: Other Walsall Tony on February 22, 2016, 06:37:24 PM
The new site also has far less coverage of bus services around the country. I suppose not many people need to know the times of buses from Hastings to Tunbridge Wells, but it was still useful!

I have sent a comment to Centro and suggest others do the same...

Personally I found that annoying, as 'Network West Midlands' should be about bus services in this area. I prefer now that when searching by route number you only get resullts relevant to the West Midlands.

I think the new site looks great, seems easy to navigate, and while some functionality may take getting used to (like the timetable search) it will ultimately be far more informative and user-friendly in future.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Kevin

The thing that infuriates me most is purely from an enthusiasts perspective, if I'm planning a round trip I like to see what's available in a local area. Yes maps are available but for some areas kinda hard to locate, and not necessarily actual maps more schematic route diagrams. Also I don't really want to have to download the pdf timetable every time I look at a different service instead of just loading a Web page

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Roy on February 22, 2016, 03:54:14 PM
The travel planner is a joke.  I decided to test it by asking to travel from home to New Street station.  The first two suggestions were :-

1.   16 mins Walk - Walk to Bromley Lane
2.   Approximately 13 mins Bus - Take the bus National Express West Midlands 257 toward Stourbridge, Stourbridge Bus Station
3.   Approximately 5 mins Train - Take the igo train towards Providence Street
4.   Approximately 2 mins Walk - Walk to Lye (West Midlands) Rail Station
5.   Approximately 29 mins Train - Take the London Midland train towards Birmingham Moor Street
6.   Approximately 2 mins Walk - Walk to Birmingham, Birmingham New Street Rail Station

1.   3 mins Walk - Walk to Bromley Lane Randall Close
2.   Approximately 21 mins Bus - Take the bus Hansons 226 toward Dudley (W Mids), Dudley Bus Station
3.   Approximately 13 mins Bus - Take the bus Central Buses 74A toward West Bromwich
4.   Approximately 2 mins Walk - Walk to Dudley Port Rail Station
5.   Approximately 15 mins Train - Take the London Midland train towards Birmingham New Street

A few thoughts.  What is an igo Train ?  Why direct me to Lye station when there is only a train every 30 minutes?  Why should I take a tour of Kates Hill on a 74A when I can catch a 74 direct to Dudley Port?  How many people can walk from the platform at Moor Street to New Street in 2 minutes?

Apart from that, it's brilliant!

One slight thing, since when have trains run to Providence Street in Lye, or have Igo nuilt a new line in the last 24 hrs?  :D :D :D

Adam 404

Can someone else make sense of this... Which London Midland issues are effecting me!!!! I don't know where to start with these 32 service alerts which only specify the operators involved!

http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/ways-to-travel/train/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk