News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

39221 Volvo B5LH First Leeds.

Started by P419 EJW, June 02, 2015, 08:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P419 EJW

Hi everyone,

I recently visited Leeds for the weekend and I saw some buses have this "thing" sticking out near the wheel. I was wondering what this is and should it be at that place or not? One or two buses have had that sticking outside the bus body, it was worrying. I decided to take a picture of it on 39221 Volvo B5LH First Leeds so I can show it to you, perhaps someone could help answering my question.

Picture -

Thanks in advance.

Alex

Probably going to sound a bit thick here, but isn't that some form of Guided busway type wheel?
Hypocrites are like flares... a right pain if one goes near you, and really annoying to get rid of...

My YouTube channel: Alex Jones

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjxo69BfENu3fiWuzCNYyg

the trainbasher

Quote from: P419 EJW on June 02, 2015, 08:37:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I recently visited Leeds for the weekend and I saw some buses have this "thing" sticking out near the wheel. I was wondering what this is and should it be at that place or not? One or two buses have had that sticking outside the bus body, it was worrying. I decided to take a picture of it on 39221 Volvo B5LH First Leeds so I can show it to you, perhaps someone could help answering my question.

Picture -

Thanks in advance.

Guide wheel for one of the local guided busways (similar to the Cambridge one

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

P419 EJW

Okay, thank you both. Could you explain a bit more about the guide wheel, please?

MW

Quote from: P419 EJW on June 02, 2015, 08:53:58 PM
Okay, thank you both. Could you explain a bit more about the guide wheel, please?

A guideway is basically two Kassell kerbs on either side of a bus only lane. The thing on the wheels glides against the kerb thus steering the bus around bends. Basically the driver doesn't have to steer. I don't know what the point of it is but hey.

Cheese

Quote from: MW on June 02, 2015, 09:26:10 PM
A guideway is basically two Kassell kerbs on either side of a bus only lane. The thing on the wheels glides against the kerb thus steering the bus around bends. Basically the driver doesn't have to steer. I don't know what the point of it is but hey.

The guideway is off the main carriageway so the bus is not stuck in traffic with everything else, in Leeds they are along York Road and Scott Hall Road which are dual carriageways so the guideway is either along the middle of the road or alongside it.  I remember having a guideway demonstration many years ago behind Midland Road bus depot in Rotherham at a depot open day which had a guideway fitted as a test and guidewheels fitted to Metrobus 1894.

MW

Quote from: Cheese on June 02, 2015, 09:46:48 PM
The guideway is off the main carriageway so the bus is not stuck in traffic with everything else, in Leeds they are along York Road and Scott Hall Road which are dual carriageways so the guideway is either along the middle of the road or alongside it.  I remember having a guideway demonstration many years ago behind Midland Road bus depot in Rotherham at a depot open day which had a guideway fitted as a test and guidewheels fitted to Metrobus 1894.

They had it here didn't they, tracline was it called? The 65 I think.

P419 EJW

Useful information given, I've learned somethimg new today, thank you guys! Glad I asked.

Gareth

I'm not sure if it's still there, but it certainly was 3/4 years ago, but at the Short Heath terminus there still is/was a 'No Entry, guided buses only' road sign.

busfan2847

Quote from: MW on June 02, 2015, 09:50:14 PM
They had it here didn't they, tracline was it called? The 65 I think.
Yes. The main site has a picture, I took, of the only non Tracline liveried bus used on the busway, at the Stockland Green end. 2686 was the prototype for the tracline vehicles.

bottom photo on

http://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/gonebatches/2436to2735/2686.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk