News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Primeline's set to die?

Started by JoNi, November 06, 2014, 10:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoNi

Today's Coventry Evening Telegraph carries the headline that the Labour run council plan to remove all bus lanes as they result in traffic jams which cause pollution. They cite Ball Hill and Toll Bar End which exceed emission levels. Traffic jams on both of which are not caused by bus lanes. Needless to say the example of Liverpool removing bus lanes is mentioned.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventrys-bus-lanes-could-scrapped-8055383

Stu

Once again, despite the talk of getting people out of their cars and onto public transport, it's the car that over-rules all.

Same thing happened with the Tyburn Road in Birmingham; the bus lanes introduced to help the bendibuses through the traffic were 'suspended' because there was too much congestion caused by cars. As a result, there is still traffic congestion, and the 67 became more unreliable.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Bryan

I think it will be a big mistake if Coventry do remove any bus lanes, in my mind a very short-sighted answer by the council to the problem of pollution. A bus travelling quickly down a bus lane is surely an incentive to some not to drive into the city. Otherwise I suspect car use is going to grow far faster, not to mention the associated problem of vehicles getting parked.

Although I don't know a lot about Coventry's road network, I do think with a bit more thought about traffic management, and increased promotion of Park & Ride services, pollution could be reduced. It's a pity the Park & Ride North was closed down last year.

Tony

Bus Lanes do not delay cars. They extend queue lengths because it is is single file instead of two lanes, but because bus lanes finish short of road junctions and cars can use all lanes, the same number of cars get across junctions in gaps in traffic at roundabouts or at traffic lights changes.

All these people see is 'wahay we have halved the length of the queue' It doesn't improve journey time for cars, but it does slow buses down, so actually creates more pollution!

A prime example of what I am saying can be seen on Birchfield Road leading to Perry Barr roundabout. if the bus lane was removed, no extra cars would get onto the roundabout, but when the bus lane is adhered to buses get through much quicker.

Slower buses and shorter(length) queues encourage more car use and even more pollution and even slower journies for car users as well as buses, everyone's a loser!

JoNi

I've just been shown this article in last night's paper which had a picture of 1552 on 81 taken in recently removed Butts bus lane.
Article points out that cars cause the pollution but haven't seen any policies from the council to encourage less usage!

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventrys-bus-lanes-here-stay-8113740

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk