News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

wednesbury-Merry Hill extension??

Started by danny, April 27, 2014, 09:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danny

Hi guys. I had herd some time ago that this was More than just a vision . And that planning had been approved. Is anyone aware of any future plans to build this extension or is it more of a pipeline dream at the moment that probably. Won't materialise?

Also if this new link we're to be created. How do you feel about it. I personally would benefit from such a service and can see it speeding up journey times between some towns which atm has an hour  journey time to merry hill. As well as opening up some disused architecture. Ie Dudley train tunnel and netherton viaduct. PersuMing ofcourse that that would be the route taken. Thoughts??
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

the trainbasher

I honestly dont think it will go ahead any further now

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Steve6544

Stuharris 6360

It could work and given that Westfields have now sold the Merry Hill Centre, maybe the new owners would be willing to contribute towards its costs.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stu

Quote from: Daniel w on April 27, 2014, 10:59:39 PM
Isn't that a mad idea anyway ?

Not really, it's been in the pipeline for some years, and much of the rail infrastructure is already in place.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stevo

In fact the route wasn't through Dudley tunnel but on street through the town centre. The by-pass was built with the tram formation to one side for the route between Dudley and Brierley Hill.

Roy

Centro still wish to build the line but the problem is getting funding from the Government.  There is also a problem with Network Rail who cannot decide whether an extra freight line in the Midlands is needed or not - and if it is, it won't be built until after 2019.

The original plan was for Network Rail to have one track for heavy freight with the Metro running alongside, with a second Metro track being built where it was possible.  The Metro line would have left the rail track at the bottom of Castle Hill and then gone up past the Bus Station to King Street before going down to the bypass at Blowers Green and running alongside the bypass before rejoining the railway line.

When Network Rail made noises about reopening the Stourbridge to Walsall line as a double track freight line, Centro backed this as Network Rail would have paid for rebuilding the line, with Centro merely piggybacking a passenger service (probably tram-train) on the new line.  The reason for the reopened freight line was increased passenger traffic up the Lickey -with Centro extending three trains per hour from Longbridge to Bromsgrove and one train per hour from Longbridge to Redditch.  Centro also have aspirations of a passenger service along the Camp Hill line with stations at King's Heath and Moseley, with a link at Bordesley into Moor Street.

However, two developments that would have increased freight traffic in the West Midlands - port expansion at Avonmouth and Milford Haven - are on hold because of the recession, so Network Rail have shelved plans for the Stourbridge to Walsall line to reopen.  Another problem is Park Head viaduct which is now in an abysmal state and would need expensive repairs to handle heavy freight trains.

Planning permission was granted, and I think that it hasn't yet lapsed.  I know that Centro were forced to start work before a certain date, and they got round that by building the extension to the car park at Dudley Port.  There are rumours that HS2 may provide an opportunity to get the project started, to provide better rail based links to HS2.  Unfortunately, for the people in the Dudley area who suffer serious road congestion along the A461 corridor, it's a case of wait and hope.  It will be interesting to see if INTU are more forthcoming in helping to fund better public transport links to Merry Hill than Westfield were.

danny

Thanks Roy. Your insight has been valued. It would seem like an idea to reopen the line in some sort of form as to link Dudley with the main line. However. Upon going past park hill I can see alot of work would need to be done as it has become a jungle up on top.
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

j789

Random question but what is the disused railway track that runs under the road near Bloxwich?

Westy

Quote from: j789 on April 30, 2014, 09:31:54 PM
Random question but what is the disused railway track that runs under the road near Bloxwich?

Wasn't that an old railway line to Willenhall & Wolverhampton too?

Westy

On the subject of the Wednesbury to Merry Hill extension, looking at the local A to Z, which shows the line in question, it goes near to my place of work at Great Bridge(The section of the Black Country Route featuring Golds Hill Way & Bagnall Street)

Theorectically where would a possible station(s) go in that area?

For the Great Bridge shops, it would have to be New Road as the closest, but would a park & ride facillity go anywhere near the BCR section I mentioned?

(Ok I do have a personal reason for asking this!)

uniquicity

This map was the original plan from a few years ago.

Roy

The station would be at New Road, but there was no plan for P&R at that station. 

Incidentally, the Stourbridge Line User Group have campaigned for the reinstatement of the line for a number of years, although they would prefer a heavy rail route from Stourbridge,  They have a set of photographs taken along the line from Wednesbury to Stourbridge in 2012 at http://www.stourbridgelineusergroup.info/walsall%20line.html.

In addition, this was on the Express and Star website last week. http://www.expressandstar.com/news/transport-news/2014/04/23/hs2-will-open-door-to-more-rail-investment-throughout-region-says-transport-secretary-patrick-mcloughlin/

j789

Quote from: j789 on April 30, 2014, 09:31:54 PM

Found out it was the old Walsall and Wolverhampton Railway with the North Walsall station close by. Closed in 1980.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk