News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Real Time Info

Started by Sandy Lane, April 17, 2019, 05:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Lane

Do any TDC services use real time info? If so which ones as I havent found any so far?
If there are non then is there a date when it will happen.
It would be great to know when a TDC service will actually turn up as I find the longer routes like X6 585 60 sometimes seem to get delayed in traffic.

JPC

I'm sure TDC have indicated in the past... 'We employ satellite tracking on our buses to ensure our drivers adhere to the timetable', unsure whether that offers a real time function, it might just be restricted/incompatible.
In recent times have known them to sail past timing points several minutes early.

In all honesty I think they are heading towards scraping the barrel unless they get their act together, bus services are gradually being chipped away, this Saturday is the last time the 703 service runs on a Saturday,
Is their new depot actually [going to be] completed? and also their Twitter account was recently deleted.

Sandy Lane

Quote from: JPC on April 17, 2019, 07:30:59 PM

In recent times have known them to sail past timing points several minutes early.
yep, I have heard other passengers say this. RTI would help those waiting at a bus stop.

I wonder if there ticket machines need an upgrade.

Dennis

Quote from: Sandy Lane on April 17, 2019, 09:56:07 PM
yep, I have heard other passengers say this. RTI would help those waiting at a bus stop.

I wonder if there ticket machines need an upgrade.

Are they still TGX200s? If so they are GPS capable and they probably use it for their own AVL but can't afford / justify the costs of data brokerage to provide a real-time feed into the LA system. On the work they do I doubt very much that RTI would generate any additional revenue.

Sandy Lane

Quote from: Dennis on April 21, 2019, 08:37:12 PM
Are they still TGX200s? If so they are GPS capable and they probably use it for their own AVL but can't afford / justify the costs of data brokerage to provide a real-time feed into the LA system. On the work they do I doubt very much that RTI would generate any additional revenue.
Not an expert but think they are the 200 type. Risk is that Network WM could insist on RTI on all operators one day soon?

JoNi

Quote from: Sandy Lane on April 22, 2019, 05:26:02 PM
Not an expert but think they are the 200 type. Risk is that Network WM could insist on RTI on all operators one day soon?

RTI should be mandatatory for low frequency routes that are tendered by TfWM run by likes of De Courcey. Would have expected TfWM to want direct access to performance data for routes they are ultimately responsible for.

Dennis

Quote from: JoNi on April 24, 2019, 05:22:55 PM
RTI should be mandatatory for low frequency routes that are tendered by TfWM run by likes of De Courcey. Would have expected TfWM to want direct access to performance data for routes they are ultimately responsible for.

This would probably price many of the small operators out of the market, ultimately increasing the cost to the taxpayer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk