News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

First win West Coast Main Line franchise

Started by JoNi, August 14, 2019, 11:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathanielrwi

Really disappointed, we've seemed to be able to avoid First for the most part in the midlands until now! Hopefully the decision will be reversed like it was a few years ago - can't stand First!

Tony

Quote from: nathanielrwi on August 15, 2019, 12:22:47 AM
Really disappointed, we've seemed to be able to avoid First for the most part in the midlands until now! Hopefully the decision will be reversed like it was a few years ago - can't stand First!

Well I actually find First Great Western one of the best operations. They have some of the cheapest Fares and are generally petty good alround. Any critsism of the new trains can be pointed at the DfT who did the spec, not FGW themselves

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on August 15, 2019, 06:23:20 AM
Well I actually find First Great Western one of the best operations. They have some of the cheapest Fares and are generally petty good alround. Any critsism of the new trains can be pointed at the DfT who did the spec, not FGW themselves

Personally i hope the new franchise fails, Virgin hadn't done anything wrong, they have always, in my eyes, run a good service with very reasonable fares.

Personally I hope Richard Branson sets up in competition with First!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

winston

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on August 15, 2019, 03:26:00 PM
Personally i hope the new franchise fails, Virgin hadn't done anything wrong, they have always, in my eyes, run a good service with very reasonable fares.

Virgin have done something wrong in the DfT's eyes, they haven't taken on the unquantifiable pension risk, meaning their bid was non complaint. Yet First Group who already in a mess, their main shareholder & activist investor who also wants them to exit UK rail have signed up too it.

The fact both Stagecoach & Arriva have refused to accept the pensions risk rings alarm bells to me.....

markcf83

Didn't Virgin say that they intended to run a Liverpool to London service every half hour in competition with the new franchise?
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Winston on August 15, 2019, 03:30:17 PM
Virgin have done something wrong in the DfT's eyes, they haven't taken on the unquantifiable pension risk, meaning their bid was non complaint. Yet First Group who already in a mess, their main shareholder & activist investor who also wants them to exit UK rail have signed up too it.

The fact both Stagecoach & Arriva have refused to accept the pensions risk rings alarm bells to me.....

Seems like it may be part of the reason why we may be about to experience the 1st National Rail strike in 20 years.

https://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2019/06/28-rmt-prepares-for-national-rail.html
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

nathanielrwi

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on August 15, 2019, 03:26:00 PM

I agree - £32.50 for 3 adults and a child return from Wolverhampton to Euston in under 2 hours! First are facing difficulty over Southwestern and the Transpennine express, so I'm hoping the bid is thrown out by the court cases...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk