News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Old bus routes

Started by Jack2001, November 30, 2013, 07:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: Dom on January 03, 2017, 08:29:01 PM
Would it have to be registered? Say if the 126 got screwed between Dudley and Birmingham, no 126 due into wolves for over 35-40 mins would they then be allowed to operate one? Obviously a hypothetical situation.

Duplicates are often run on the 11. I've been a duplicate and have been duplicated.

Buses often get duplicated when there's a football match on at villa. If I'm on the 11C, and I'm the bus that's passing just as everyone is leaving, and if I'm due to come off when I get back in AG, you often get told to run as an E to Acocks Green village and run dead back to Garage.

Westy

Quote from: Squiz1971 on January 04, 2017, 01:26:03 PM
It certainly was dark, full of diesel fumes and always seemed to have puddles dotted around from the leaky roof

I remember going to the Midland Red office in there & before that, catching the old 158 back to Bloxwich.

Pete50492

Quote from: Squiz1971 on January 04, 2017, 01:26:03 PM
It certainly was dark, full of diesel fumes and always seemed to have puddles dotted around from the leaky roof
It certainly was this depressing...however for the young bus enthusiast like me in the late 1970s it was a fascinating place..coming out of the Bull Ring market to get the buses along the Hagley Road & seeing D9's on the 110, Oxford Bristol VRs on the X50, Midland Red fleetlines in red, ex harpers fleetlines on the 853, Walsall VRs on the 357/358 as they were then not to mention the plethora of WMPTE buses from various garages and the smattering of Midland Reds......happy days!

Squiz1971

Quote from: Pete50492 on January 05, 2017, 08:02:13 AM
It certainly was this depressing...however for the young bus enthusiast like me in the late 1970s it was a fascinating place..coming out of the Bull Ring market to get the buses along the Hagley Road & seeing D9's on the 110, Oxford Bristol VRs on the X50, Midland Red fleetlines in red, ex harpers fleetlines on the 853, Walsall VRs on the 357/358 as they were then not to mention the plethora of WMPTE buses from various garages and the smattering of Midland Reds......happy days!
Not forgetting the iconic Volvo Ailsa's screaming their way out on their way to Dudley and the suburbs. Yes in those hazy days there was a plethora of different bus styles from the different companies with a stunning array of colour schemes some good & some questionable too, for those old enough to remember the good old days of WMPTE MR and the like

Pete50492

Quote from: Squiz1971 on January 05, 2017, 03:59:37 PM
Not forgetting the iconic Volvo Ailsa's screaming their way out on their way to Dudley and the suburbs. Yes in those hazy days there was a plethora of different bus styles from the different companies with a stunning array of colour schemes some good & some questionable too, for those old enough to remember the good old days of WMPTE MR and the like

Lol! Ironic really me omitting the Ailsa's. Where I grew up the old 221 service ran along the top of our road & was the route to school. Its regular allocation was two of the splendid Ailsas from OY's 4738-4767 batch with their characteristic screaming engine! Regular transport to school for me, I loved those buses.

Mike K

Quote from: Pete50492 on January 05, 2017, 08:02:13 AM

Couldn't agree more Pete. And the sheer number of different types of WMPTE Fleetlines of various ages from different divisions and with different bodies added to the variety. I guess it's partly because I'm now in my forties but I can't summons much enthusiasm for the plethora of Geminis and E400s these days.

Squiz1971

Quote from: Mike K on January 05, 2017, 07:06:27 PM
Couldn't agree more Pete. And the sheer number of different types of WMPTE Fleetlines of various ages from different divisions and with different bodies added to the variety. I guess it's partly because I'm now in my forties but I can't summons much enthusiasm for the plethora of Geminis and E400s these days.
I know what you mean as a 70's baby myself @Mike K. As I enjoy going to Wythall for that very reason to see the array of BCT & WMPTE's finest buses with the smattering of Midland Red, and the other municipalities that formed WMPTE back in 69. Today's buses lack the character of the Fleetlines (All body styles from MCW to NC) and the Metrobuses plus the Nationals & Swifts not that I rode any of the AEC Swifts, same with the Ailsa's the first time I ever rode 1 was at Wythall in the form of 4738. Great days of yesteryear in WMPTE & WMT days saved for prosperity at Aston Manor & Wythall

busfan2847

My all time favourite Ailsa journey - Birmingham New to Leicester rail replacement non-stop, via A38M, M6, M69 on 5th May 1985.

It was 4776 and boy did it scream on the motorway!

John

Does anyone have any info on the old 611 'Holford Hopper' service?

I have an acquired photo of Solo 308 with 'Holford Hopper' Branding, looks like it ran from Perry Barr to Witton via Holford Industural Estate looking at the branding. The via blind says 'via Witton' so I was wondering if it went further or that blind is up in error

2000 is wrote on the back, I assume the year the photo was taken

Solo1

Quote from: Winston on December 11, 2013, 11:22:55 PM
I'm pretty sure BCC acquired a batch of Merc 609D's that were used on the 22/23 in 1992/3? Can't remember the registrations of them to double check.

Pete's also competed on the 22 with Volvo Citybuses, I think the 22 survived in to Go-Ahead ownership

No Quinton Garage has never operated Leyland Nationals to my knowledge

Yes I do remember the Pete's Citybuses on the 22 Winston. I don't remember the Mercs on the 22/23 though, I only recall BCC Merc minibuses on the 21A but I was in my early 20s back then and drinking and partying so it's all a bit of a blur. I tried to find some pictures but can't.

Mike you obviously didn't drink enough back then as your memory has survived better than mine. It was the 21A BCC used them on, I thought there was another route as well, as I seem to remember there were 8-10 Merc minis @ BCC

Found a few pics to go with the topic of conversation, can't find any BCC Merc minis though....

Photo on my flicr site  stanjack

Pete50492

Quote from: old50niner on December 02, 2013, 06:04:52 PM
Miller Street 66 service from B'ham city centre to Hansons Bridge Road, Pype Hayes.

If memory serves was a victim of the service cuts of 1980

Steveminor

Quote from: Solo1 on February 12, 2017, 08:54:08 PM
Quote from: Winston on December 11, 2013, 11:22:55 PM
I'm pretty sure BCC acquired a batch of Merc 609D's that were used on the 22/23 in 1992/3? Can't remember the registrations of them to double check.

Pete's also competed on the 22 with Volvo Citybuses, I think the 22 survived in to Go-Ahead ownership

No Quinton Garage has never operated Leyland Nationals to my knowledge

Yes I do remember the Pete's Citybuses on the 22 Winston. I don't remember the Mercs on the 22/23 though, I only recall BCC Merc minibuses on the 21A but I was in my early 20s back then and drinking and partying so it's all a bit of a blur. I tried to find some pictures but can't.

Mike you obviously didn't drink enough back then as your memory has survived better than mine. It was the 21A BCC used them on, I thought there was another route as well, as I seem to remember there were 8-10 Merc minis @ BCC

Found a few pics to go with the topic of conversation, can't find any BCC Merc minis though....

Photo on my flicr site  stanjack

BCC operated the 21A to Bangham pit I dont think they ever operated the 22

CL

Quote from: clayderman on January 01, 2017, 11:03:29 PM
General Question(s)

1) Which route did the 80 take going to & from City Centre?

Context: Prior to being rerouted through Ladywood (ie current route) - following the withdrawal of the Crosscity bit of the 66 service? (City Hospital to Star City (& God knows where), via City Centre)

For some reason, I recall it going through Jewellery Quarter (Warstone Lane)? Can anybody shed some light?

2) Does anybody remember anything of the old 7B route? "Who operated it, where did it go" type of general background information

Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Sorry to drag back an old topic, but I've just stumbled across this on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mcw1987/4982018975/in/album-72157623332945564/

Nice to know I wasn't losing my mind after all! :P
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

iansdavies

hello lads I've just found out about the times on routes 163 169 and 193 operating at 1,11,21,31,41,51 every hour, does that mean wmpte routes 53 and 54 worked 5 minutes later than the times shown

Steve3229vp

Quote from: iansdavies on March 23, 2017, 07:29:34 PM
hello lads I've just found out about the times on routes 163 169 and 193 operating at 1,11,21,31,41,51 every hour, does that mean wmpte routes 53 and 54 worked 5 minutes later than the times shown
The 163, 169 and 193 ran every 20 mins each Monday Friday daytime (equivalent to every 6/7 mins) and every 15 mins each Monday to Friday peaks and Saturday daytime (equivalent to every 5 mins).
The 53 and 54 ran every 11 mins each Monday Friday daytime (combined to every 5/6 mins), The 53 ran every 5-8 mins Monday to Friday peaks and Saturday daytime. The 54 ran every 5-8 mins each Monday to Friday peaks and approx. every 10-15 mins Saturday daytime.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk