News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Old bus routes

Started by Jack2001, November 30, 2013, 07:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liverpool Street

Even before my time, but I'm sure my father would've remembered it..

- BCT Tram route 70. Navigation Street to Rednal - it wasn't uncommon for trams to carry 100 passengers a minute from the city to the suburbs on public holidays. The full journey took 50minutes and cost 5d (2p) in 1924!

- The tram line was in the central reservation of the Bristol Road (and south), and continued to operate until 5th July 1952.

- The modern variation (the 63) still takes 50 minutes end to end and costs £2.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

old50niner

And great fun it too was down the hills.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: old50niner on December 25, 2013, 06:40:28 PM
And great fun it too was down the hills.

I bet it was.

Shame I missed all the fun - only one generation out.

Maybe in many many years to come that central reservation in Bristol Road could hold another track of some sorts
      If "tomorrows world" is correct [POS*] most main roads will be tracked again.

I mean, the reservation is still big enough.

Can I ask, old50niner, how old are you?
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

old50niner

A young 68 L.S. and still spotting !

Liverpool Street

Quote from: old50niner on December 26, 2013, 02:10:21 PM
A young 68 L.S. and still spotting !

By that logic I'm an infant at 63!! (Haha)
until it cought fire

old50niner

They're only numbers.  You're as old as you feel  ??!!!

Liverpool Street

Quote from: old50niner on December 26, 2013, 02:17:38 PM
They're only numbers.  You're as old as you feel  ??!!!

I must be in my late 90's then!

You must've been young to remember the trams then.. about 6 or 7 was you when they were finished?
until it cought fire

old50niner

yeah, was taken by my grandmother to see the last one from brum City.  Written in whitewash was ''The last Tram''.

John Stait

Routes I miss from my childhood are:

15/16 Hamstead to Lea Hall/Garetts Green via City
90 Baldwins Lane to Pheasey via City
92 Monkspath to City

And a couple of NBC routes:
X4 Alder Valley Birmingham to High Wycombe
X50 Birmingham to Oxford

I always persuaded my dad to time our visit to the chippy to coincide with the 2010 departure of the X50 from the Bull Ring Bus Station to Oxford, always a VR.

Happy days!

John

Liverpool Street

Quote from: old50niner on December 27, 2013, 08:27:05 AM
yeah, was taken by my grandmother to see the last one from brum City.  Written in whitewash was ''The last Tram''.

Oh what a picture you've just painted for me. Thanks. I presume your grnadmother was a turn of the century kid or 18xx's?
until it cought fire

iansdavies

its nearly the 40th anniversary the old 53 bus route was renumbered 97 and extended to chelmsley wood on the 26th november 1976 operating from coventry road garage , alot of ex midland red fleetlines along side park royals and daimlers were used, at the same time 163 was renumbered 98 and operated from lea hall garage again using daimlers and park royal buses .

CL

General Question(s)

1) Which route did the 80 take going to & from City Centre?

Context: Prior to being rerouted through Ladywood (ie current route) - following the withdrawal of the Crosscity bit of the 66 service? (City Hospital to Star City (& God knows where), via City Centre)

For some reason, I recall it going through Jewellery Quarter (Warstone Lane)? Can anybody shed some light?

2) Does anybody remember anything of the old 7B route? "Who operated it, where did it go" type of general background information

Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Quote from: clayderman on January 01, 2017, 11:03:29 PM
General Question(s)

1) Which route did the 80 take going to & from City Centre?

Context: Prior to being rerouted through Ladywood (ie current route) - following the withdrawal of the Crosscity bit of the 66 service? (City Hospital to Star City (& God knows where), via City Centre)

For some reason, I recall it going through Jewellery Quarter (Warstone Lane)? Can anybody shed some light?
Down the Dudley Road.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

CL

Quote from: 2206 on January 01, 2017, 11:05:39 PM
Down the Dudley Road.
A bit vague... ::)

Let me reword: Where did the 80 go to and from City Centre, after Dudley Road & Springhill
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Quote from: clayderman on January 01, 2017, 11:11:27 PM
A bit vague... ::)

Let me reword: Where did the 80 go to and from City Centre, after Dudley Road & Springhill
Dudley Road, Spring Hill, Summer Hill Road, Sandpits Parade to Paradise Circus
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk