News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Metro Extension?

Started by John, November 11, 2013, 08:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

It looks like the Metro may get extended to Coventry before 2026 with HS2 if that goes ahead
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-24899547

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: John on November 11, 2013, 08:25:47 PM
It looks like the Metro may get extended to Coventry before 2026 with HS2 if that goes ahead
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-24899547

I've just been looking at suggested new developments, courtesy of a link from an aviation forum. All I can say is "please, NO!"

Dylan4579

On the map it has the metro going to Bearwood?

Stu

QuoteCorrection: This story has been changed to clarify that the link between Coventry and Birmingham has not been finalised and could take the form of a tram system or fast bus link.

I'd seen plans for a Metro line to the Airport and the new HS2 interchange, but not to Coventry.

I can see the point of the Metro going to the Airport and HS2 station, but not to Coventry. As there's already a train link between Coventry, the Airport and Birmingham city centre. As for a 'fast bus link' there's already the 900 bus, that could only really be speeded up by missing out Meriden.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

bwsau cymru

for me I would hate to see the tram go to Coventry. trams are ment to be a method to move people around in a urban area and between the airport and Coventry is masses of greenery with small tinny villages that I feel personal would object to having trams near there villages! but tram to the airport I think would be a positive!
campaigning for better transport for all

leewhayward29

what is going on with the link from wolves to walsall
Bus services in my local area and where I live

31 -  Walsall to Mossley via Bloxwich and Leamore. NXWM (WALSALL GARAGE) Buses used are: Wright Eclipse 2 B7RLE and Dennis Trident ALX400                     

32 - Walsall to Lower Farm via Bloxwich and Leamore. NXWM (WALSALL GARAGE) Buses used are:- Wright Eclipse 2 B7RLE and ADL Enviro400

69 - Walsall to Wolverhampton via Beechdale, New Invention, Wood End and New Cross Hospital. NXWM (WOLVERHAMPTON GARAGE) Buses used are: Wright Eclipse 2 B7RLE, Dennis Trident ALX400 and ADL Enviro200

529   - Wolverhampton to Walsall via willenhall. NXWM (WOLVERHAMPTON GARAGE) Buses Used are:- ADL Enviro400 MMC   Dennis Trident ALX400, ADL Enviro400H   (Platinum bus service)

Stuharris 6360

Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

wembley86

with the planned externsion to broad st, how will the extension work, with pubs having deliveries, as the lorries park up and block part of the road, 

mikestone

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 03, 2015, 08:46:03 PM
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2015/01/03/tram-extension-from-wolverhampton-to-new-cross-hospital-blasted-by-es-readers/
;
Many European systems consider hospitals as major traffic generators - I think it was in Nantes where I saw a man with a drip stand travelling from one building to another on the tram!
The problem in the UK is that trams are seen as an intermediate level between bus and rail and priced higher than equivalent bus journey instead of part of an integrated system with one fare so there is little incentive for bus passenger to use the tram for part of the journey.

the trainbasher

Quote from: wembley86 on January 04, 2015, 03:07:02 PM
with the planned externsion to broad st, how will the extension work, with pubs having deliveries, as the lorries park up and block part of the road,

The council will probably create a Traffic Regulation Order which will create for whatever stretch of road affected a Prohibition of Loading At Any Time/between xxxxhrs and xxxxhrs (double or single kerb blip).

This will mean that lorries, blue badge holders or even buses would not be able to load except in authorised places (e.g. Bus stop for buses, disabled bay for blue badge holders or loading bays for vans or lorries).

Failure to comply will mean that a Civil Enforcement Officer May issue a PENALTY CHARGE NOTICE in compliance with the Traffic Management Act 2004 and the Civil Enforcement of Parking (England) Regulations 2007 (a reg 9 PCN on the Windscreen or a reg 10 PCN via First Class Post!)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

wembley86

Quote from: the trainbasher on January 04, 2015, 03:25:11 PM
Quote from: wembley86 on January 04, 2015, 03:07:02 PM

The council will probably create a Traffic Regulation Order which will create for whatever stretch of road affected a Prohibition of Loading At Any Time/between xxxxhrs and xxxxhrs (double or single kerb blip).

This will mean that lorries, blue badge holders or even buses would not be able to load except in authorised places (e.g. Bus stop for buses, disabled bay for blue badge holders or loading bays for vans or lorries).

Failure to comply will mean that a Civil Enforcement Officer May issue a PENALTY CHARGE NOTICE in compliance with the Traffic Management Act 2004 and the Civil Enforcement of Parking (England) Regulations 2007 (a reg 9 PCN on the Windscreen or a reg 10 PCN via First Class Post!)

I catch at present the 22/23 from colmore row to edgabston and when the walkabout bar/ llyods No1 bar has deliveries these causes buses to drive on the otherside of the road, I can't see how they can build a loading bay there for lorries without shorting the footpath.   It will be interesting to see how it works as sprint is planned to use broad street as part of the route.

jack5512

there now on about sending the metro to new cross hospital and Bentley bridge

Trident 4609

Quote from: jack4325 on January 06, 2015, 10:27:04 AM
there now on about sending the metro to new cross hospital and Bentley bridge

Which is not necessary tbh as most people would continue to use the 59/69 and 89 to get to that side of the city!

jack5512

I think I would not go ahead cause they got put tracks on the wednsfield road block everything and that would cause bother

wembley86

would love to see the wednesbury - merry hell down in extreme bite size,

Wednesbury - Great Bridge (then depending on passenger numbers extend to dudley, then further up the line

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk