News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

43 Worcestershire tendered routes face axe

Started by winston, November 05, 2013, 07:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PM

Quote from: the trainbasher on November 05, 2013, 08:32:33 PM
Quote from: DiamondDart on November 05, 2013, 08:31:04 PM
Quote from: the trainbasher on November 05, 2013, 08:28:59 PM
Quote from: Winston on November 05, 2013, 08:21:20 PM
Quote from: nitromatt1 on November 05, 2013, 08:08:08 PM
Quote from: the trainbasher on November 05, 2013, 08:02:13 PM
Quote from: Worcestershire County Council to cut subsidies for services* A major route due for change is the 31A and 31C Worcester Orbital to Sixways, which is ran by First Bus.
It was used 450,250 times last year, particularly for rugby fans heading to Worcester Warriors games, but is still subsidised by 50p per trip.
Under the proposals that subsidy will go, which is certain to mean some kind of changes to the service.

So even though it was used 450,250 times last year, the council cant be bothered to provide 50p/trip yet it can afford to pay its executives more that that.

Where is the justification for it. Surely they could scrap a few council managers instead?

They cannot scrap the 31A/C surely,  despite being operated with Solos, SCC Darts and E200s, every bus gets busy and queues form quickly

If it's that busy why does it even need subsidy? Surely it could be taken on by First commercially

Maybe some trips are not commercially viable - or alternativly OAP passes are could be heavilly used? Either way Worcs CC need to have a look at other things that could be cut...
...like OAP passes which IMO should be Off Peak only (disabled passes should be allowed 24/7 imo)

OAP passes are off peak aren't they? Thought that was the whole point.

Off Peak as in 0930-1529/1800-EOS M-F and all day Sa/Su

Aren't they all that anyway and if you cut it back any more, you may as well axe free travel. The point is, people should decide whether they want free bus passes and if they do, govt should provide enough money. A system of free travel without enough subsidy is worse than not having it at all. And Clegg wants it for teenagers :P

PM

Quote from: Stu on November 05, 2013, 08:32:53 PM
This is where 'network review' can be effective. Can any existing commercial services be revised to cover parts of currently subsidised services?

Precisely. I think the 350 could be taken on with MPDs to keep costs down by diamond or someone else. It always seems fairly busy and would be a good addition to diamond's network.

winston

Quote from: the trainbasher on November 05, 2013, 08:19:24 PM
Quote from: Winston on November 05, 2013, 08:18:10 PM
It sounds as though Woosh will also be closed down in favour out outsourcing the park & ride routes

Similar to what happened in Kent where KCC closed down Kent Top Travel with Stagecoach taking on most of the Canterbury/Thanet routes

Ah, so that is why most of their fleet was sold to Ensign

Roy

The complete list of services at risk can be found at

winston

Quote from: Roy on November 08, 2013, 11:59:37 AM
The complete list of services at risk can be found at

Thanks for posting Roy!

Looking at that list, Diamond & First could potentially be hit particularly hard

nitromatt1

Surely First can operate the 31A/C commercially! I'm surprised it was tendered in the first place...

111 Roughley

The Appendix attached to the Council Meeting Agenda posted by bewminster on another thread is well worth looking at:

How you decide priorities I don't know. Tenbury Wells would be almost completely cut off if the 291 went. Of the £3m budget, £571689 is being spent on the 362/3/41-43 services and £303859 on 564-6. I can't imagine both would be totally be cut, but they must be prime targets for cutback. The 350, according to the council, does lose money per passenger, yet Dudleys run a commercial journey each day Redditch to Worcester and back. I've always been surprised at the lack of direct transport links between Redditch and Worcester, though obviously you can change at Bromsgrove.

111 Roughley

More detailed proposals, yet to be approved by the Council, for discussion on 9 June, have been posted on the Council's website:

nitromatt1

192 operating "at least 3 days each week"? The 192 is an important route, I hope this doesn't mean it'll lose service some days

Also W1 withdrawn stands out to me, surprising as I thought the Perdiswell park & ride was well used

the trainbasher

Sometimes my boss likes using the W1 from her home as it's quicker than driving and parking if she's taking her kids anywhere in Worcester. Looks like it's the 144 for her.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

nitromatt1

Quote from: the trainbasher on June 04, 2014, 09:28:45 AM
Sometimes my boss likes using the W1 from her home as it's quicker than driving and parking if she's taking her kids anywhere in Worcester. Looks like it's the 144 for her.

I used it once, when it was free after the flooding, surprised me how quick it got up to Perdiswell. Good news for First though as I imagine passenger numbers on the 144 will increase

the trainbasher

Quote from: Matt on June 04, 2014, 09:37:52 AM

I used it once, when it was free after the flooding, surprised me how quick it got up to Perdiswell. Good news for First though as I imagine passenger numbers on the 144 will increase

It's kinda interesting because although my boss isn't a enthusiast but she prefers the Citaros over E300s...

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

nitromatt1

Quote from: the trainbasher on June 04, 2014, 09:40:24 AM
Quote from: Matt on June 04, 2014, 09:37:52 AM

It's kinda interesting because although my boss isn't a enthusiast but she prefers the Citaros over E300s...

Well they do have nicer interiors, although I found it a bit dark & cramped inside (although in fairness it was rammed!)

j789

There may be one or two interesting First route changes over the coming months ...

PM

Quote from: j789 on June 04, 2014, 08:28:01 PM
There may be one or two interesting First route changes over the coming months ...

I can imagine! General expansion no doubt. First are actually improving things ie city services are being enhanced. It seems like most key services are being retained and some lesser used ones either run more efficiently or partly replaced or in the case of a few, not replaced at all. Nowhere near as bad as what was rumoured though...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk