News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Rotala Management - Questions & Answers

Started by Simon Dunn, August 28, 2013, 06:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tank90

Quote from: Winston on March 05, 2014, 10:06:24 PM
Quote from: tank90 on March 05, 2014, 09:29:47 PM
Quote from: Winston on March 05, 2014, 12:50:30 PM
Hi Simon,

Would the 6 x 55 plate ex Transdev Yorkshire Coastliner B7TL's/Wright Eclipse Gemini's (single door format with coach seats) just taken in to stock at Ensign be of interest to Rotala?

Winston
Not just those, theres at least one E200 56 plate as well, would go down a storm with our Kiddy friends and those who use the X3 at peak times as the MPDs (dinky toys) are far too small!

I don't think Simon's a fan of E200's, Ensign have had 2 x 58 plate examples for sale ex Hanson's plus another ex Kent Top Travel, which have all since been sold during Feb to others
Fan or no fan, people have had enough of standing up on the bromsgrove highway and it will hurt diamond as they are getting called by some first in blue.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

winston

Quote from: tank90 on March 06, 2014, 12:02:07 AM
Hi Simon,

Would the 6 x 55 plate ex Transdev Yorkshire Coastliner B7TL's/Wright Eclipse Gemini's (single door format with coach seats) just taken in to stock at Ensign be of interest to Rotala?

Winston
Not just those, theres at least one E200 56 plate as well, would go down a storm with our Kiddy friends and those who use the X3 at peak times as the MPDs (dinky toys) are far too small!

I don't think Simon's a fan of E200's, Ensign have had 2 x 58 plate examples for sale ex Hanson's plus another ex Kent Top Travel, which have all since been sold during Feb to others
Fan or no fan, people have had enough of standing up on the bromsgrove highway and it will hurt diamond as they are getting called by some first in blue.

We've said all along the X3 deserves/requires full size buses and MPD's aren't suitable

tank90

Quote from: Winston on March 06, 2014, 12:04:17 AM
Hi Simon,

Winston

We've said all along the X3 deserves/requires full size buses and MPD's aren't suitable
Yes that is true, and each and everytime we have given Rotala ideal buys they have turned there nosies up at them. I hate to say it so publicly but, sometimes I wonder why I bother even trying to explain to other passenagers that they are trying there best when clearly they are not. If I were Rotala I would look at every bus on the market even going to ADL direct to see what part ex i could get for some of the clapped out darts for new E200s. I say this as India and africa are looking at cheap low floors and refurbs are useful to them.
I wouldn't not look at anything as it can help keep the mony rolling in.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

the trainbasher

Hi Simon,

Winston

Why don't Diamond do what first did and have boards run by both redditch and Kiddy...then. Redditch could hypothetically send a bigger bus out (either a e300/b7/MAN?)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

StourportSam

Quote from: the trainbasher on March 06, 2014, 01:28:52 AM
Hi Simon,

Winston

Why don't Diamond do what first did and have boards run by both redditch and Kiddy...then. Redditch could hypothetically send a bigger bus out (either a e300/b7/MAN?)

The ironic thing is its full and standing Kidderminster MPDs mainly in the week and half full if that Redditch Enviro 300s/Streetlights on Sundays!

Simon Dunn

Hi Simon,

Winston

Winston,

No we have no Double decker requirements.

Simon

Simon Dunn

Hi Simon,

Winston

The E200 is too much money for what it is

Simon Dunn

Hi Simon,

Winston

Winston,

I don't think they are the best bus.  However, at the same time they are not the worst.

Ensign wanted more than I was prepared to pay for them

Simon

Simon Dunn

Quote from: tank90 on March 06, 2014, 12:58:13 AM
Hi Simon,

Winston

Yes that is true, and each and everytime we have given Rotala ideal buys they have turned there nosies up at them. I hate to say it so publicly but, sometimes I wonder why I bother even trying to explain to other passenagers that they are trying there best when clearly they are not. If I were Rotala I would look at every bus on the market even going to ADL direct to see what part ex i could get for some of the clapped out darts for new E200s. I say this as India and africa are looking at cheap low floors and refurbs are useful to them.

The 54 plate Long darts have been left in Kidderminster for the X3, and other long buses have been left to operate on other services. 

Like I have previously said, not all markets can justify new buses. 

I am sure if you were buying a car or a house, you would only pay what you believed something was worth.  I believe I trade as many buses as anyone, so I think I have a good idea of market value of buses.

Simon

Isle of Stroma

It's a complete no-brainer really. Yes, routes such as the X3 are not suited to the MPD, but there simply isn't the revenue available at the Kidderminster end to justify suitable newish stock. In most cases, day tickets are cheaper than the West Midlands equivalent & there certainly isn't the same footfall available. Think about it, even if from day one Kidderminster had been completely restocked with brand medium/high capacity new stock, how much would have been transferred away by now to somewhere where it might have a chance of returning the investment?

I said it at the time, I still can't fathom what made Rotala go for Kidderminster (& Redditch for that matter), much less actually pay First for the privilege either.

Simon Dunn

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on March 06, 2014, 08:22:43 AM

It's a complete no-brainer really. Yes, routes such as the X3 are not suited to the MPD, but there simply isn't the revenue available at the Kidderminster end to justify suitable newish stock. In most cases, day tickets are cheaper than the West Midlands equivalent & there certainly isn't the same footfall available. Think about it, even if from day one Kidderminster had been completely restocked with brand medium/high capacity new stock, how much would have been transferred away by now to somewhere where it might have a chance of returning the investment?

I said it at the time, I still can't fathom what made Rotala go for Kidderminster (& Redditch for that matter), much less actually pay First for the privilege either.

Dave,

Within the OFT report written about acquisition we make no secret of the fact, that we either needed to exit the market completely or consolidate the Diamond Bus business in Redditch and the First Bus business in Redditch into one.

First operated Redditch and Kidderminster as one unit, and therefore we acquired both businesses.  Since acquiring Kidderminster we have pleasently been surprised with what we have acquired, with the constraints that Worcestershire face it is difficult to understand how that impacts on our business however, we always try to act in a reasonable rational way and invest what makes sense.

Simon

winston

Quote from: Simon Dunn on March 06, 2014, 06:18:29 AM
Hi Simon,

Winston

Winston,

No we have no Double decker requirements.

Simon

Thanks Simon,

I was thinking along the lines of whether a busy single decker route @ Wessex could be upgraded to using those double deckers and allow B7RLE to be cascaded to Diamond or something? Or even if they would be suitable for Preston.

I think with the X3 issues, Diamond have moved in a higher proportion of larger Darts to Kidderminster of late, but I don't think the resources are being allocated to the busiest routes to match their capacities based on some of the more recent sightings.

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Simon Dunn on March 06, 2014, 08:33:57 AM
Dave,

Within the OFT report written about acquisition we make no secret of the fact, that we either needed to exit the market completely or consolidate the Diamond Bus business in Redditch and the First Bus business in Redditch into one.

First operated Redditch and Kidderminster as one unit, and therefore we acquired both businesses.  Since acquiring Kidderminster we have pleasently been surprised with what we have acquired, with the constraints that Worcestershire face it is difficult to understand how that impacts on our business however, we always try to act in a reasonable rational way and invest what makes sense.

Simon

Simon,

I appreciate that there was always going to be OFT involvement with the Redditch deal & that the outcome was never in doubt - merger of the two operations etc. The period of limbo before OFT ratification, along with uncertainty of future funding from Worcestershire (think what was happening with the 192/292, extra funding being available for additional summer services for two years, then abruptly nothing available for ANY service - along with a discussion at LA where two of us came to the conclusion that it was best for Buses & crew to lay over between services at Kidderminster during the Summer as it would lose less money than any alternate service use that we could think for them) that didn't scan for me.

I pitched an alternative strategy to Mo in 2012, when it was common knowledge that First wanted out of Redditch. That of using some of the numerous Darts that were redundant from LA & TE to register on all RH routes that Rotala weren't already involved in, even running for free until the registrations had commenced. Admittedly based on some quick back-of-fag-packet maths, the sums involved for a year of competition were a fraction of the eventual deal - & would have given a quick exit strategy had this not achieved the effect of removing First from the equation.

Simon Dunn

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on March 06, 2014, 09:54:07 AM
Quote from: Simon Dunn on March 06, 2014, 08:33:57 AM
Dave,

Simon

Simon,

I appreciate that there was always going to be OFT involvement with the Redditch deal & that the outcome was never in doubt - merger of the two operations etc. The period of limbo before OFT ratification, along with uncertainty of future funding from Worcestershire (think what was happening with the 192/292, extra funding being available for additional summer services for two years, then abruptly nothing available for ANY service - along with a discussion at LA where two of us came to the conclusion that it was best for Buses & crew to lay over between services at Kidderminster during the Summer as it would lose less money than any alternate service use that we could think for them) that didn't scan for me.

I pitched an alternative strategy to Mo in 2012, when it was common knowledge that First wanted out of Redditch. That of using some of the numerous Darts that were redundant from LA & TE to register on all RH routes that Rotala weren't already involved in, even running for free until the registrations had commenced. Admittedly based on some quick back-of-fag-packet maths, the sums involved for a year of competition were a fraction of the eventual deal - & would have given a quick exit strategy had this not achieved the effect of removing First from the equation.

Dave,

In the public arena it states we paid £1.5 million for the business, we acquired 25 buses some with very little value admittedly, and 2 freehold properites.  I am more than happy that we achieved a deal which was in Rotala shareholders best interests.

Simon

iamwilljh92

Hi Simon,

Just wondering if you have any updates on the fates of..

1) 30428 - S405 JUA
2) 20851 - KU52 RYN
3) 30639 - YJ06 YPU

Are they returning to service if so when?

And also when is (20849, KU52 RYH) coming back to Kidderminster as I know you said it is and finally is when are (30445, T418 MNH / 30930, VX54 MUC / 30931, VX54 MUO) off for re-spray?

....And finally is (30439, W567 JVV) also coming back to Kidderminster?

I await your updates.

- Will

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk