News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Rotala Management - Questions & Answers

Started by Simon Dunn, August 28, 2013, 06:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HTA844N

Hi Simon

A few questions regarding Black Country route: 42A/42C

I remember the days when I'd catch routes 401/402 and it would be a standing load, no matter what time of day. The busiest days I remember the route being was when it was operated by Pete's. Since diamond have operated the route it seems to carry fewer and fewer passengers now than ever before. When the 402 changed to service 42 to Dudley I noticed that most buses were running empty to Dudley (hence the reason why your services dont go there anymore). However now that it operates as services 42A/C it seems to be even quieter. It is very confusing for people to make sure they are on the right bus and it can be very infrequent if you are waiting in a particular area of the route (I.e Tipton rail station. Both 42A/C arrive within a few minutes of each other, then nothing for 25 minutes). Since these changes I have noticed that NXWM have starte using more double deckers because their buses have become so busy. Another thing is the quality of the buses. When Pete's travel operated it had brand new vehicles (W901-6JNF) . Now in 2014 it is operated by R, V, W & 02 reg vehicles which are falling apart!

Where do you see this route going in the future? Are there any proposals to update the fleet of vehicles for his route. NXWM are using brand new buses and other modern double deckers and Diamond are still in the dark ages!

Metrorider

Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 19, 2014, 09:27:18 PM

Very well done, mate. There's a lot worse companies out there ;)

Diamond isn't actually that bad. Again, all the best!

Quote from: Christopher on February 20, 2014, 09:19:51 AM

Well done hope to see you on the 226

Cheers guys just replied in this one message because don't want to hijack Simons thread. Really enjoying the whole experience and hope to meet some of you out on the road in the future  :)
Paul.

PM

Quote from: baker_06 on February 20, 2014, 06:31:25 PM
Hi Simon

I remember the days when I'd catch routes 401/402 and it would be a standing load, no matter what time of day. The busiest days I remember the route being was when it was operated by Pete's. Since diamond have operated the route it seems to carry fewer and fewer passengers now than ever before. When the 402 changed to service 42 to Dudley I noticed that most buses were running empty to Dudley (hence the reason why your services dont go there anymore). However now that it operates as services 42A/C it seems to be even quieter. It is very confusing for people to make sure they are on the right bus and it can be very infrequent if you are waiting in a particular area of the route (I.e Tipton rail station. Both 42A/C arrive within a few minutes of each other, then nothing for 25 minutes). Since these changes I have noticed that NXWM have starte using more double deckers because their buses have become so busy. Another thing is the quality of the buses. When Pete's travel operated it had brand new vehicles (W901-6JNF) . Now in 2014 it is operated by R, V, W & 02 reg vehicles which are falling apart!

Where do you see this route going in the future? Are there any proposals to update the fleet of vehicles for his route. NXWM are using brand new buses and other modern double deckers and Diamond are still in the dark ages!

This is a little bit unfair, the loads on the 42 and 43 pre the 42A/C always seemed healthy especially from Great Bridge into West Brom. Also, W901-6JNF were new to the 404, not the 401/2. There are no R reg buses at Tividale. In fairness to diamond, there has been a lot of publicity about the route changes and even timetable leaflets apparently and they have tried to do something different to NXWM. NXWM use mostly old mercs on these routes sometimes older than the buses diamond have on there and the modern deckers are a minimum of 8 years old... Even the brand new buses are a few e200s now over a year old.

HTA844N

Simon

My comments are not intended to slate Diamond and cause any offence. The fact is though that the condition of the diamond vehicles compared to those of a similar age at NXWM are considerably shabbier. The older double deckers have all been refurbished to a high standard and are much cleaner & smoother than the older darts used by diamond. I agree that the Merc's NX have are extremely shabby but even those have seen some refurbishment.

I recently caught one of your DAF's on route 42 and it rattled like crazy and absolutely stunk of diesel. Also the paintwork of many of Diamond's darts is extremely shabby! Back in 2007/2008 Diamond promoted that they were putting brand new buses on routes 401/402. How long did these last for......

As for your comments regarding the loadings, between Great Bridge - Tipton via Alexandra Rd buses are running empty until they get to Central Ave & St Marks Rd when it starts picking up again.

winston

Hi Simon,

With the recent VOSA changes in authorisation at various Diamond depots and Long Acre/the new Coventry depot being added on to the the Diamond Bus Company License, is the Central Connect Limited license being relinquished?

With the above changes at Long Acre & the recent reported clear-out of withdrawn vehicles, have Rotala managed to negotiate an acceptable deal to sub-let the depot?

Will the Flights Hallmark allocation still be based at Long Acre?

I also notice Wessex are withdrawing a couple of commercial services & First have won a number of tendered routes currently operated by Wessex in the Bristol areas from April. Is this likely to have much impact on fleet strength at Wessex?

Cheers,

Winston

PM

Hi Simon

Further to Winston's questions, I just have a few to add:

1) Has rotala managed to sell on many of the withdrawn vehicles that were at Long Acre or have they simply been moved elsewhere for storage?

2) Which 10 vehicles on the Diamond Bus Company license do you anticipate keeping at Long Acre? Buses for the 16/50 or other Birmingham routes?

3) I take it JPT never got back to you about the e300s, only the advert has vanished from Route One and other trade magazines? Have you heard back about the manufacturer deal you talked of yet, out of interest?

4) Do you plan to produce further timetable leaflets/route guides for the value services by way of promotion or a network guide of all diamond value/diamond services in the Birmingham/Black Country?

Many Thanks

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Winston on February 22, 2014, 02:25:30 PM
Hi Simon,

With the recent VOSA changes in authorisation at various Diamond depots and Long Acre/the new Coventry depot being added on to the the Diamond Bus Company License, is the Central Connect Limited license being relinquished?

With the above changes at Long Acre & the recent reported clear-out of withdrawn vehicles, have Rotala managed to negotiate an acceptable deal to sub-let the depot?

Will the Flights Hallmark allocation still be based at Long Acre?

I also notice Wessex are withdrawing a couple of commercial services & First have won a number of tendered routes currently operated by Wessex in the Bristol areas from April. Is this likely to have much impact on fleet strength at Wessex?

Cheers,

Winston

Winston,

We felt the current licences don't overlap as much as we would like so the changes are purely for Admin purposes, there is no expected immediate impact.

The recent changes in the South West are some up and some down overall the fleet between the two depots will reduce by about 4/5

Simon

iamwilljh92

Hi Simon,

Just wondering if you have any updates on the fates of..

1) 30428 - S405 JUA
2) 20851 - KU52 RYN
3) 30639 - YJ06 YPU

Are they returning to service if so when?

And also when is (20849, KU52 RYH) coming back to Kidderminster as I know you said it is and finally is when are (30445, T418 MNH / 30930, VX54 MUC / 30931, VX54 MUO) off for re-spray?

....And finally is (30439, W567 JVV) also coming back to Kidderminster?

I await your updates.

- Will

Cedric

simon
may I say with it being 1 year on Monday (by date)  since diamond took over in Kidderminster,  I have found that things have improved
loads in that time 99.9% on the time , when I have travelled   and  vehicles look better in your livery and they are turned out better inside and do not rattle so much. know there will be others with a different point of view . only 1 thing I have found wrong being over 6ft there  is not so much room between the seat ( but that's me being to tall)  nothing wrong with vehicles.     and may I add how hard you and your drivers worked hard today in Kidderminster with thing things that happened  in the town today (Thursday) and the large funeral on the 3 route . good job done  by diamond staff  Kidderminster today
diamond 8\10/125/292

Simon Dunn

Quote from: baker_06 on February 20, 2014, 06:31:25 PM
Hi Simon

Dear Sir,

We have invested in the Tividale fleet lately, and overtime will continue to do so.

On the route you mention, we need to try and educate the passengers better, this is something we are working on.

Simon

Simon Dunn

Quote from: bowler on February 26, 2014, 09:40:47 PM
simon
may I say with it being 1 year on Monday (by date)  since diamond took over in Kidderminster,  I have found that things have improved
loads in that time 99.9% on the time , when I have travelled   and  vehicles look better in your livery and they are turned out better inside and do not rattle so much. know there will be others with a different point of view . only 1 thing I have found wrong being over 6ft there  is not so much room between the seat ( but that's me being to tall)  nothing wrong with vehicles.     and may I add how hard you and your drivers worked hard today in Kidderminster with thing things that happened  in the town today (Thursday) and the large funeral on the 3 route . good job done  by diamond staff  Kidderminster today

Thank you.

It is difficult to get the balance right between seat place and capacity

Simon

Cedric

Quote from: Simon Dunn on February 28, 2014, 01:34:42 PM
Quote from: bowler on February 26, 2014, 09:40:47 PM
simon

Thank you.

It is difficult to get the balance right between seat place and capacity

Simon
simon
it is not on all vehicles if find this it  seams to be more the ones with the rounded type seat backs.  but I  find this one trains and planes as well.
know what you meant I your answer. and realise that  what you says is true .  for all forms of transport ,   
diamond 8\10/125/292

winston

Hi Simon,

Would the 6 x 55 plate ex Transdev Yorkshire Coastliner B7TL's/Wright Eclipse Gemini's (single door format with coach seats) just taken in to stock at Ensign be of interest to Rotala?

Winston

tank90

Quote from: Winston on March 05, 2014, 12:50:30 PM
Hi Simon,

Would the 6 x 55 plate ex Transdev Yorkshire Coastliner B7TL's/Wright Eclipse Gemini's (single door format with coach seats) just taken in to stock at Ensign be of interest to Rotala?

Winston
Not just those, theres at least one E200 56 plate as well, would go down a storm with our Kiddy friends and those who use the X3 at peak times as the MPDs (dinky toys) are far too small!
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

winston

Quote from: tank90 on March 05, 2014, 09:29:47 PM
Quote from: Winston on March 05, 2014, 12:50:30 PM
Hi Simon,

Winston
Not just those, theres at least one E200 56 plate as well, would go down a storm with our Kiddy friends and those who use the X3 at peak times as the MPDs (dinky toys) are far too small!

I don't think Simon's a fan of E200's, Ensign have had 2 x 58 plate examples for sale ex Hanson's plus another ex Kent Top Travel, which have all since been sold during Feb to others

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk