News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Rotala Management - Questions & Answers

Started by Simon Dunn, August 28, 2013, 06:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Dunn

Quote from: BD12TCJ on November 27, 2019, 08:00:05 PM
Hi Simon,

The situation at Bolton just hasn't improved since my last comment, in fact, it seems to have gotten worse. Today, the 571 just didn't run, the 575 had a half hourly service and practically every other route suffered. Yesterday 3 consecutive boards on the 471 didn't run leading to delays of over 40 minutes etc etc.. If you dont have the drivers to operate routes, then the wise and honorable thing to do is to stop competing on routes which are already operated by other companies...

Thanks.

I have spoken to the Director in charge.  On the day in question, we had a collection of problems which occurred at the same time.  The 571 did run, but there was a bus missing for a period of time, and we did rectify the problems as quickly as possible.

Stu

Hi Simon,

Enquiring on behalf of someone who has asked the question on my West Midlands Bus Users Facebook page, they would like to know why Diamond are not operating their 71 service (Chelmsley Wood to Sutton Coldfield) on Boxing Day?

As National Express have also stated they are not operating it, this service will not be running at all on that day? Or is another operator running it?

My best guess is that as I presume the Sunday service is operated under tendered contract to TfWM, the tender specification doesn't include Boxing Day?

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Stu on December 05, 2019, 06:51:29 PM
Hi Simon,

Enquiring on behalf of someone who has asked the question on my West Midlands Bus Users Facebook page, they would like to know why Diamond are not operating their 71 service (Chelmsley Wood to Sutton Coldfield) on Boxing Day?

As National Express have also stated they are not operating it, this service will not be running at all on that day? Or is another operator running it?

My best guess is that as I presume the Sunday service is operated under tendered contract to TfWM, the tender specification doesn't include Boxing Day?

TfWM decide to contract for Boxing day services separately. 

Every year they review what they want to provide and the 71 is a service that have decided not to subsidise.  Since your message we have checked.  I do not believe a service was operated either in 2017 or 2018

Trident 4194

The 11:17 from West Bromwich decided that he was only going to Halesowen despite running on time. Sat in Halesowen eating his lunch instead. Continued back on the 12:07 to Walsall.

Also are tividale struggling for buses as I've seen solos and darts on the 4H recently?

Jack

Hi Simon,

Just a quick question but the 78 services four bus stops that fall under Staffs, and these stops look so abandoned that it's like no bus calls at them. They lack timetables (not your fault) but I know you've had to something with giving the 35 timetables so I was hoping you could have a look and see what could be done?

Thanks, Jack

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Trident 4194 on December 06, 2019, 03:18:03 PM
The 11:17 from West Bromwich decided that he was only going to Halesowen despite running on time. Sat in Halesowen eating his lunch instead. Continued back on the 12:07 to Walsall.

Also are tividale struggling for buses as I've seen solos and darts on the 4H recently?

There isn't a problem for vehicles.  I will get the points investigated and come back to you

BD12TCJ

An open letter in the Bolton news reiterates my point, staff shortages are causing so many trips to be dropped in Bolton and Wigan. Is it not time to drop routes which you're competing on if you cant provide services across the borough. For the sake of bus passengers..

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/18082774.letter-disappointed-diamond-buses/

IMarkeh

Hi Simon, can I ask roughly how many drivers are in the process of training at Bolton?
Secondly, how long, based on the current data you have, will it take for Bolton to have enough staff to cover all trips on all routes?
Finally, are you working with places like the Job Centre to try and get people into the industry?

Obviously there is a driver shortage at the moment which is leading to some cancellations. I appreciate you and your staff are doing their best at this difficult time but I think for passengers, it's getting a little bit too much now with it going on for 4 months. It's important that you are not just advertising on your website and are doing your best to recruit drivers. I say that as I see Diamond Bus is not advertising on the government find a job site.

Simon Dunn

Quote from: IMarkeh on December 09, 2019, 03:29:19 AM
Hi Simon, can I ask roughly how many drivers are in the process of training at Bolton?
Secondly, how long, based on the current data you have, will it take for Bolton to have enough staff to cover all trips on all routes?
Finally, are you working with places like the Job Centre to try and get people into the industry?

Obviously there is a driver shortage at the moment which is leading to some cancellations. I appreciate you and your staff are doing their best at this difficult time but I think for passengers, it's getting a little bit too much now with it going on for 4 months. It's important that you are not just advertising on your website and are doing your best to recruit drivers. I say that as I see Diamond Bus is not advertising on the government find a job site.

When we acquired the business, we were 60 short.  This assumes full establishment and none working any overtime and equates to around 12% of the requirement. 

Since then we have trained around 30, recruited drivers with licences and at the same time experienced some natural wastage.  We have dropped route 13, and some tenders at the back end of October.  The driver issue is at a manageable level.  I accept that service delivery isn't where it needs to be.  However, it is not as bad as stated.  I look at journey by journey statistics and we aren't far away.   The real problem, we have ongoing issues with the rental fleet, from windscreens falling out because of poor design, constant leaking around the front end, which then creates all kinds of electrical issues.

We were not aware of these issues pre-acquisition and we independently had the fleet inspected.  Our plan was always though to replace the vast majority of the fleet,  we acquired 10 Euro 6 Citaro's, 14 Wrights Streetdecks, and part of the reason we acquired the 19 ex YourBus buses was to get on top of this issue. 

At the same time, we were due 15 Streetdecks in December, which due to their issues have been put back.  We are trying to agree a deal with TfGM which would involved replacing 130 buses in Bolton this year. 

So - we are getting there.  We have internally changed our Engineering structure and the people we have in place all understand the importance of service delivery. 

Simon

BD12TCJ

With all due respect, that reply is arrogant. "The driver issue is at a manageable level". This is not what your drivers, nor TFGM are telling customers. Average of 13 boards a day being cut, 45 minute waits. Mini solos going on the busiest routes in GM. And regarding the drivers issue, no wonder you are short when drivers are saying they've not been paid for their holidays and are not being paid in full in general...

To quote Bob Dunns message from Bolton Depot "Firstly we want to be recognised as number one bus operator in Greater Manchester".. you've got a long while to go before that happens..

Rant over..

V89MOA

Hi Simon, in June (Reply #2060) it was mentioned that the Redditch 69 had to be run with Euro 6 buses in 6 months time, and as the Streetlites will now not be arriving in time and we are nearly at the 6 month mark, are there any plans to temporarily move any newer buses from anywhere else for this route anytime soon, or switch allocations around in the short term, as the route seems pretty much a half Mellor half Optare operation currently?

Thanks in Advance.

Simon Dunn

Quote from: BD12TCJ on December 09, 2019, 05:38:30 PM
With all due respect, that reply is arrogant. "The driver issue is at a manageable level". This is not what your drivers, nor TFGM are telling customers. Average of 13 boards a day being cut, 45 minute waits. Mini solos going on the busiest routes in GM. And regarding the drivers issue, no wonder you are short when drivers are saying they've not been paid for their holidays and are not being paid in full in general...

To quote Bob Dunns message from Bolton Depot "Firstly we want to be recognised as number one bus operator in Greater Manchester".. you've got a long while to go before that happens..

Rant over..

I have told you the current position.  Your information is incorrect

Simon Dunn

Quote from: V89MOA on December 09, 2019, 11:13:46 PM
Hi Simon, in June (Reply #2060) it was mentioned that the Redditch 69 had to be run with Euro 6 buses in 6 months time, and as the Streetlites will now not be arriving in time and we are nearly at the 6 month mark, are there any plans to temporarily move any newer buses from anywhere else for this route anytime soon, or switch allocations around in the short term, as the route seems pretty much a half Mellor half Optare operation currently?

Thanks in Advance.

We have discussed the issue already with TfWM.  They were aware of our plan and have given us until the end of March as an extension

Steveminor

Simon 69 Redditch comes under Worcestershire not Tfwm

richardjones210368

Quote from: Steveminor on December 18, 2019, 09:11:05 AM
Simon 69 Redditch comes under Worcestershire not Tfwm
Service 69 IS a TfWM contract and comes under the agreement of the tender award. The service is operated from Redditch Garage but is NOT a Worcestershire service of Diamond Bus but an West Midlands one and listed as such on the Diamond Bus website.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk