News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Rotala Management - Questions & Answers

Started by Simon Dunn, August 28, 2013, 06:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Westy on May 09, 2018, 04:38:25 PM
You have your own E200's already dont you?

Whats the difference between yours & the ex Centrals, especially if you have an issue with theirs?

We have from memory a number of 2007,8,9 E200's.  We have had them for years, and have never acquired any since.  With the acquisition of Central we inherited some newer E200's.  They were no better. 

I wasn't saying the Central ones were worse. 

Trident 4194

Quote from: Simon Dunn on May 09, 2018, 04:50:52 PM
We have from memory a number of 2007,8,9 E200's.  We have had them for years, and have never acquired any since.  With the acquisition of Central we inherited some newer E200's.  They were no better. 

I wasn't saying the Central ones were worse.

Presume Hanson's e200s are as bad?? Quite a range of regs you acquired from Hanson's?

Steveminor

That's the trouble with buses in that size range now unfortunately. Solo streetlite citaro & e200 probably the e200 is the best of a bad bunch. The vdl citea has good reports but no-one is marketing them in this country & vdl will only export to uk in batches of no less than 50, so unless arriva get back on board with vdl no real prospect of seeing them in the near future.

DMCL

Quote from: Simon Dunn on May 09, 2018, 08:57:39 AM
Not as yet.  The Euro 6 Streetlites have suffered from Electrical problems, which until the Engine interface is changed will not correct.  We have not been impressed with the E200's or the Optares we have taken on from the Central acquisition, and in my opinion they are not a robust enough product for some of the markets in which we operate.

I don't like the Volvo MCV combination and they have only built 30 Wrights versions this year, so I am concerned about aftermarket support.

I think the Citaro product is a good product, how fuel efficency is poor and the Aftermarket support from Evobus in my opinion is the worst of any manufacturer. 

Acquiring new buses increases costs in the business, these costs are normally offset by reduction in other costs areas.  At present, with the poor product reliability and choice it is making it difficult to justify new bus investment.  We do however, need to continue to invest and inparticular in Euro 6 emmission standard buses. 

None of this doesnt mean we wont acquire new buses.   

This is a fascinating insight into what must be a key issue facing bus company owners and managers - thank you Simon.

I've often thought that, with all the wonderful advances in technology, it should be possible to buy a toaster that produces evenly brown toast - but I've yet to find one. And on a more significant note, what a disgrace that in 2018 no manufacturer can produce a reliable or well-supported bus (reading between Simon's lines the Volvo/Wright seems to be best worse option). A reliable bus would presumably be able to cope with poor road surfaces and potholes, careless drivers, rough passengers and incompetent engineers.

The general impression I have of Diamond buses in Redditch is that they are quite badly maintained. Could this be a factor, Simon, in the poor reliability you mention? Do you know if other companies in the West Midlands spend more on maintenance in order to keep imperfect vehicles running and looking good?

Also Simon, you mention "markets in which we operate". What are the special characteristics of these markets?

Dylanbusboy45

Citaro has surely got to be the quality product. Having rode on numerous examples in a few places, they seem the smoothest and best built but that comes at a high cost in fuel. However the E200MMC seems a big improvement over the E200 in rattles etc. Maybe you could have a few demonstrators for evaluation

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Trident 4194 on May 09, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
Presume Hanson's e200s are as bad?? Quite a range of regs you acquired from Hanson's?

In my opinion, the ride quality of E200's.  The engine, and all round durability is poor.  Yes, we have a lot.  All recent additions have come through acquisition.

Simon

Simon Dunn

Quote from: DMCL on May 10, 2018, 12:06:42 PM
This is a fascinating insight into what must be a key issue facing bus company owners and managers - thank you Simon.

I've often thought that, with all the wonderful advances in technology, it should be possible to buy a toaster that produces evenly brown toast - but I've yet to find one. And on a more significant note, what a disgrace that in 2018 no manufacturer can produce a reliable or well-supported bus (reading between Simon's lines the Volvo/Wright seems to be best worse option). A reliable bus would presumably be able to cope with poor road surfaces and potholes, careless drivers, rough passengers and incompetent engineers.

The general impression I have of Diamond buses in Redditch is that they are quite badly maintained. Could this be a factor, Simon, in the poor reliability you mention? Do you know if other companies in the West Midlands spend more on maintenance in order to keep imperfect vehicles running and looking good?

Also Simon, you mention "markets in which we operate". What are the special characteristics of these markets?

DVSA are extremely active and undertake regular spot checks on regulartory compliance.  Despite, whatever your perception may be our Prohibition rate is way below the National average. 

I have no experience of what other operators spend on Maintenance.  We do not share this information, so I cannot comment whether we spend more or less.

We have had a lot of change in our West Midlands bus business, and I accept the critiscm around presentation.  We recognise this is an area in which we need to improve, and we have an immediate focus on repainting all long term vehicles.

Simon

Jack

Will anymore routes be branded? Speaking mainly on routes with competition, 16/W, 40, 50 etc.

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Jack on May 12, 2018, 10:17:50 PM
Will anymore routes be branded? Speaking mainly on routes with competition, 16/W, 40, 50 etc.

There will be other routes branded

Westy

Any reason why one Diamond 301 arrived in Walsall around 515pm tonight, driver gets off & disappears for about 5 mins, gets back on & drives off without his passengers!

(In the meantime, another Diamond 301 drives past, as he's unable to access the stand anyway!)

Everyone had to pile on an NX E200 instead, which was rammed until Leamore!

Jack

Will anymore Optare Solo SR's be arriving for the 226, or is just YJ66 APU and YJ66 APO?

Trident 4194

Simon,

How do you find the Optare metrociy you acquired of central?

Sayeed

Век живи - век учись

Solo1

If your not impressed with the  versas  will you be getting rid off them or keeping them

DJ

Hi Simon, I hope you're doing well. Are there any plans for an open day in the future at the Tividale depot? Thanks.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk