News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Rotala Management - Questions & Answers

Started by Simon Dunn, August 28, 2013, 06:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Will on December 29, 2014, 08:52:57 AM
Quote from: StourportSam on December 28, 2014, 02:48:23 PM
Hi Simon,

Just a quick question, do you know if the following vehicles are planned to return to service with Rotala please?

Thanks
Sam

Sam

This vehicle was involved in a bad accident.  The third party was to blame and we are awaiting for the assessors to quantify and agree the level of damage

There is no plan to return this vehicle to service, in the immediate future

This was involved in a bad accident.  We are awaiting for the third party assessors to inspect and agree the extent of the loss

There is no plan to return this vehicle to service

Simon

winston

Quote from: Simon Dunn on December 29, 2014, 08:44:32 AM
Quote from: Winston on December 29, 2014, 12:19:48 AM

Hi Simon,

Good news that KR will see some newer/larger buses towards the spring next year.

Have the MAN/Centro's been freed up at Heathrow due to a loss of work or new/newer vehicles being required?

Is the allocation of MAN/Centro's at KR likely to include 30302 SN09FUW which hasn't turned a wheel in revenue earning service since being acquired some 12 months ago?

Winston,

We stop operating the BA contract at the end of February 2015.

SN09FUW will also go to Kidderminster.

Simon

Simon,

Does the BA contract employ quite a few buses at Heathrow including the Solo EEV & Dart SLF/MCV's? Will these also be cascaded within Rotala or the Darts sold to New Zealand as previous?

Can you confirm who will be taking over the BA contract after Rotala finish?

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Winston on December 29, 2014, 03:52:57 PM
Quote from: Simon Dunn on December 29, 2014, 08:44:32 AM
Quote from: Winston on December 29, 2014, 12:19:48 AM

Hi Simon,

Good news that KR will see some newer/larger buses towards the spring next year.

Have the MAN/Centro's been freed up at Heathrow due to a loss of work or new/newer vehicles being required?

Is the allocation of MAN/Centro's at KR likely to include 30302 SN09FUW which hasn't turned a wheel in revenue earning service since being acquired some 12 months ago?

Winston,

We stop operating the BA contract at the end of February 2015.

SN09FUW will also go to Kidderminster.

Simon

Simon,

Does the BA contract employ quite a few buses at Heathrow including the Solo EEV & Dart SLF/MCV's? Will these also be cascaded within Rotala or the Darts sold to New Zealand as previous?

Can you confirm who will be taking over the BA contract after Rotala finish?

Winston,

The ADL MCV buses are all on operating leases so will return to the lease company.

The Solo EEV, we have an offer to sell it -  We haven't made a decision yet.

I understand either Kings Ferry or National Express have won the tender, either way its a National Express company.

Simon

PM

Simon

Isn't there a  StreetLite also used on BA work-is this most likely to transfer into Wessex?

Are the Primos also on leases? If not, do you think they will be sold if no longer needed?

Are they used on BA work or the other-think it's Thomson-contract you have there?

Thanks

Simon Dunn

Quote from: DiamondDart on December 29, 2014, 04:08:33 PM
Simon

Isn't there a  StreetLite also used on BA work-is this most likely to transfer into Wessex?

Are the Primos also on leases? If not, do you think they will be sold if no longer needed?

Are they used on BA work or the other-think it's Thomson-contract you have there?

Thanks

Dear Sir,

The Streetlite and an 11 plate Solo will most likely transfer to Preston.

The primos are used Airside, I am not sure where they will end up.

Simon

PM

Quote from: Simon Dunn on December 29, 2014, 04:09:57 PM
Simon

Thanks

Dear Sir,

Simon

I take it airside work is different to the BA contract?

Thanks

winston

Simon

Thanks

Dear Sir,

Simon

Simon,

Thanks for your previous replies, one last one. How many buses worth of work was the BA contract? Will the remaining work be sufficient to maintain a base at Heathrow?

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Winston on December 29, 2014, 04:12:49 PM
Simon

Thanks

Dear Sir,

Simon

Simon,

Thanks for your previous replies, one last one. How many buses worth of work was the BA contract? Will the remaining work be sufficient to maintain a base at Heathrow?

We have about 20 vehicles left. 

Yes it is sufficient

Simon

Stu

Changing the subject slightly, following The Green Bus' withdrawal from the 50 service, do you anticipate any future increase in service level on this route? Or do you feel there is adequate provision with your own service as well as NXWM's?

I don't know how well used TGBs buses were used on this route, the few I used to see on Bradford Street when I worked there never seemed particularly full, I was just curious as to whether passengers who previously used TGB would choose to use Diamond Buses instead, or would just get on the first bus that turns up... do you still do your special day return tickets on the 50, and if not would you consider reintroducing them to attract patronage?

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

iamwilljh92

Simon,

Are 20850 (KU52 RYK); 30701 (MW52 PZP) and 30426 (S397 HVV) transferring over to Kidderminster now that Redditch has been allocated those x2 2010 Enviro's and those SJ04 D** Volvo's I'm aware that 30636 has already been transferred to Kidder already.

Will

PM

Quote from: Matt on December 29, 2014, 07:34:22 PM
Quote from: Stu on December 29, 2014, 07:01:52 PM
Changing the subject slightly, following The Green Bus' withdrawal from the 50 service, do you anticipate any future increase in service level on this route? Or do you feel there is adequate provision with your own service as well as NXWM's?

I don't know how well used TGBs buses were used on this route, the few I used to see on Bradford Street when I worked there never seemed particularly full, I was just curious as to whether passengers who previously used TGB would choose to use Diamond Buses instead, or would just get on the first bus that turns up... do you still do your special day return tickets on the 50, and if not would you consider reintroducing them to attract patronage?

I've done a lot of work on the 50 in the past at Green Bus, it's actually a really interesting route to study.

Passengers on the 50 can be split into two main groups - those with NX travelcards who would let Diamond/TGB pass and wait for a NX, and fare paying passengers or those with Centro tickets who will get the first bus that comes. Customers who would have used TGB (who of course all fall into the second category) will still get the first bus that comes, which is more likely to be NX, but could be Diamond. So Diamond should expect a slight increase in passenger numbers as a result of TGB's withdrawal. Passengers who actively waited for a Green Bus over Diamond & NX were few and far between, though.

Going off on a bit of a tangent here, but even the weather can have an impact on passenger behaviour - in heavy rain and windy or cold/unpleasant weather passengers with NX travelcards (of which there are a lot of) were far more likely to pay the 50p supplement to board a TGB 50 rather than waiting for a NX 50. I don't know if Diamond offer a 50p supplement fare with NX travelcards but I would certainly recommend it.

Doesn't it lower the average fare concessionary reimbursement is based on though so has a negative effect?

Simon Dunn

Dear Sir

Yes it does

Not many people pick up on that

PM

Quote from: Matt on December 29, 2014, 07:48:57 PM
Quote from: DiamondDart on December 29, 2014, 07:37:55 PM

I've done a lot of work on the 50 in the past at Green Bus, it's actually a really interesting route to study.

Passengers on the 50 can be split into two main groups - those with NX travelcards who would let Diamond/TGB pass and wait for a NX, and fare paying passengers or those with Centro tickets who will get the first bus that comes. Customers who would have used TGB (who of course all fall into the second category) will still get the first bus that comes, which is more likely to be NX, but could be Diamond. So Diamond should expect a slight increase in passenger numbers as a result of TGB's withdrawal. Passengers who actively waited for a Green Bus over Diamond & NX were few and far between, though.

Going off on a bit of a tangent here, but even the weather can have an impact on passenger behaviour - in heavy rain and windy or cold/unpleasant weather passengers with NX travelcards (of which there are a lot of) were far more likely to pay the 50p supplement to board a TGB 50 rather than waiting for a NX 50. I don't know if Diamond offer a 50p supplement fare with NX travelcards but I would certainly recommend it.

Doesn't it lower the average fare concessionary reimbursement is based on though so has a negative effect?

That is a very good point DD, I was not aware of that. However on a route with such a high volume of customers with NX travelcards, it could be argued that the increased revenue would exceed the decrease in reimbursement making it worthwhile

I disagree-the number of OAPs carried will far exceed the number of any potential NX customers prepared to pay extra to switch to Diamond.

The best solution is to accept and encourage use of an operator's own range of tickets and passes whilst also accepting and encouraging nBus passes for those who want greater flexibility.

PM

Quote from: Matt on December 29, 2014, 08:05:39 PM
Quote from: DiamondDart on December 29, 2014, 07:53:01 PM
Quote from: Matt on December 29, 2014, 07:48:57 PM
Quote from: DiamondDart on December 29, 2014, 07:37:55 PM

That is a very good point DD, I was not aware of that. However on a route with such a high volume of customers with NX travelcards, it could be argued that the increased revenue would exceed the decrease in reimbursement making it worthwhile

I disagree-the number of OAPs carried will far exceed the number of any potential NX customers prepared to pay extra to switch to Diamond.

The best solution is to accept and encourage use of an operator's own range of tickets and passes whilst also accepting and encouraging nBus passes for those who want greater flexibility.

It depends entirely on the figures though, and how big an effect the sale of 50p supplement fares has on concessionary reimbursement, so it may or may not be a good decision to offer it

One alternative would be to increase the cost of the supplement fare (e.g. to £1) to reduce the amount by which the average fare is reduced, of course some passengers may say No to £1 who would say Yes to 50p but it all depends on number-crunching

However great the reduction, it still reduces reimbursement and that's the visible cost.

The invisible cost is the number of people who, thanks to the supplement, keep buying NXWM passes instead of an operator's own pass or nBus. That cost is hard to calculate and potentially quite damaging.

Trident 4194

How many buses will be required for the 192? I was thinking 1 but that would mean hardly any layover time

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk