News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Rotala Management - Questions & Answers

Started by Simon Dunn, August 28, 2013, 06:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Winston on June 13, 2014, 11:45:08 PM
Quote from: Simon Dunn on June 13, 2014, 10:35:53 PM
Winston,

Then on the same day, look what appears on the 002 (which I believe is a core Diamond route) & also faces competition from The Green Bus 22's
https://www.flickr.com/photos/john-s-91/14403795231/

It's the likes of the above which KP54BYU could be used to replace. Really, this shouldn't now occur on the 002, as Tividale has 3 extra B7RLE's now the 202 is at KR & since gaining 30952.

After this batch I've leave you in peace....... whilst I'm on my jollies  ;)

I would seriously doubt the MPD was allocated to the 002 by choice,it's more likely due to a breakdown and at the end of the day if I was waiting at a bus stop it would be preferable to no bus at all.....
it's been a while....

the trainbasher

@Winston with all due respect to Diamond, i think the DAFs/Urbans should be on the 226 more as personally I don't think the darts are up to the job on there. Half of them struggle in places like Bells Lane, Hawbush and Auckland Road.the only obstacle for the longer buses is High Oak MH Bound but there again that problem is one the Council made by putting that sacking great bollard in.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

John

Quote from: 4747 on June 14, 2014, 09:52:01 AM
Winston,

Then on the same day, look what appears on the 002 (which I believe is a core Diamond route) & also faces competition from The Green Bus 22's

It's the likes of the above which KP54BYU could be used to replace. Really, this shouldn't now occur on the 002, as Tividale has 3 extra B7RLE's now the 202 is at KR & since gaining 30952.

I would seriously doubt the MPD was allocated to the 002 by choice,it's more likely due to a breakdown and at the end of the day if I was waiting at a bus stop it would be preferable to no bus at all.....

There was 2 on there that day, the one I got a pic of, and a Black Diamond MPD

Metrorider

Quote from: the trainbasher on June 14, 2014, 01:25:12 PMthe only obstacle for the longer buses is High Oak MH Bound but there again that problem is one the Council made by putting that sacking great bollard in.

It's easier than you might think getting the longer buses around the bollard at High Oak due to the much better steering lock on the longer buses.
;)
Paul.

winston

Quote from: John on June 14, 2014, 01:54:31 PM
Quote from: 4747 on June 14, 2014, 09:52:01 AM
Winston,

There was 2 on there that day, the one I got a pic of, and a Black Diamond MPD

Thanks John, even worse then with two MPD's on there.  Even if an MPD was the only available spare following a breakdown, on the 002 it should still really be swapped for something more suitable at the earliest available opportunity

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Nathan on June 13, 2014, 10:38:39 PM
Simon, What should have been allocated the the 202 if the Royale Cetro's shouldn't have been on there?

Nathan

There should be a couple of modern smaller vehicles

Simon

Simon Dunn

Quote from: DiamondDart on June 13, 2014, 10:48:03 PM
Simon

About having too many small vehicles-I completely agree with you. I was thinking re the Primos you operate out of LAC and Heathrow. Are the Heathrow ones leased as didn't one return to Dawson Rentals? Are the rest of them also leased and could disposing of them be a potential option, as I know they are non-standard and you sensibly want to reduce the number of vehicle types operated? Do you see more demand for e200's than the primos in the secondhand market?

Thanks very much

Dear Sir,

They are not a bad bus.  All our of Primo's were reworked by ADL/Plaxtons and although I would like to dispose of them because as you say they are not standard they do not cause us problems and there is very little second hand market for them

Simon

Simon Dunn

Quote from: DiamondDart on June 13, 2014, 10:48:03 PM
Simon

About having too many small vehicles-I completely agree with you. I was thinking re the Primos you operate out of LAC and Heathrow. Are the Heathrow ones leased as didn't one return to Dawson Rentals? Are the rest of them also leased and could disposing of them be a potential option, as I know they are non-standard and you sensibly want to reduce the number of vehicle types operated? Do you see more demand for e200's than the primos in the secondhand market?

Thanks very much

Dear Sir,

Sorry one last thing.

We have only one vehicle on operating lease with Dawson Rentals in our entire fleet, and it isnt a Primo

Simon

iamwilljh92

Hi Simon,

Just a few quick questions I wondered whether you could tell me when the remaining JNF's are entering service in Kidderminster or have plans now changed as it would be good to see more of those vehicles in KR

also do you have any plans to introduce any Plaxton Centro's in Kidder? and finally has (30930; VX54 MUC, Dart SLF) had it's gearbox fault rectified? if so will it be re-sprayed and when will it re-enter service?

Will

Simon Dunn

Winston,

1.  Most assets are owned without any form of debt.  So they are simply transferred into the operating subsidiary.
Why we try not to do, is make unsustainable investment. Hence why we choose to operate certain vehicles at certain depots.

2.  The average fleet age of Rotala is around 7.5 years.

3.  With the exception of Kidderminster, most of the older buses are additional spares that shouldn't really be needed.

4.  KP54BYU - Do we really need any more shorter buses?  Ideally we could do with a lot smaller number of short buses.

5.  VDL Centros - If we don't sell them, I think they will stay in Redditch. 

6.  If Preston have the three citaro's, then they will have too many long buses.  Preston have expressed that they would like the Citaro's and have been told if they dispose of 3 x Scania's then I will allow this to happen

7.  E200's - We have too many small buses. 

8.  202 - The Royale's should never have been operating this route.  The operational team should never have allowed this to happen.  The route is not sustainable with the relevant vehicle costs.

9.  Park & Rides - We will always provide prices for contracts within the areas in which we operate.

Simon

Thanks for your replies as always.

1 & 3. It is fair to say at present that Kidderminster routes don't generate the revenue/profit you would need to be able to daft in much newer buses to even it's more frequent routes such as the 3? I'm obviously not aware what Rotala would need back in returns for any new/nearly new investment to justify it.

2. I'm aware of Rotala's average fleet age, but if you analyze Diamond's newest vehicles purchased brand new, there was a large investment by Rotala around 2008 when you first acquired the Go West Midlands business, 8 x Royale's followed in 2009 but then Diamond lost an equal number of 58 plate B7RLE/Centro to Wessex on their arrival. There were the 23 x MAN/MCV's 10/60 plates in 2010 which significantly improved the number of new buses operated, those were then sold without replacement around the time Diamond lost a big chunk of Centro contracts. There were the handful of Signature Citaro's & Solo SR's also in 2010, the 8 x Hybrid Versa' in 2012, 3 x B7RLE/Wright & 5 x Streetlites in 2013, so there is quite a big jump in places between new fleet investment, particularly larger buses, with no used larger buses to fill the gaps etc.

4. I think you've missed my point, I wasn't suggesting adding, I suggested using it to remove an older MPD as at 10 years old it has a fair few more years left. Possibly KR could benefit and get rid of a V-reg MPD?

5. Re: Preston, I'm pretty sure I've previously suggested using the 3 x Citaro's to replace 3 x Scania/East Lancs (which you have said you're not a fan of) after you confirmed that Preston would be keeping their sole example & the reason for sale was down to them being non standard at Diamond. Couldn't the 3 x Scania be traded in against the longer more modern buses Rotala are interested in?

7. I agree there are too many small buses, I wasn't suggesting adding to the proportion, I was suggesting using the newer one's to allow older one's to be withdrawn

8. I understand your points re: the 202 & the Royale's, I was looking at it from a quality point of view, whether they shouldn't of been on there or not, they have been & for a good number of years. The Darts will be a bit of come down compared to what passengers have been used to and this could have a negative effect of loadings.

9. Would Rotala ever consider any bolt-on acquisitions for Wessex such as Abus or Somerbus? Rather than starting any new commercial routes against First

10. I think there are instances where the allocation of the larger buses that you do have could be improved as follows:

On the 12th June:

Volvo/Wright on the 226 (which I don't believe is warranted) for the loadings I see
https://www.flickr.com/photos/john-s-91/14220511239/

Winston,

I am not sure I understand all the questions you are asking so I will answer the specific questions you have raised.

4.  I think Kidderminster needs bigger buses, not more smaller buses there is very little point putting another MPD/Sort vehicle into service which is not really what the work requires

5.  Perhaps, our desire at present is to explore Sale options

8.  I understand and it is a concern.  However, with the buses that current operate the route the service is not a viable service

9.  We have desire, facility and capability to make acquisitions.  Every opportunity we are presented with we evaluate

10.  I agree.  Unless something happened on the day, what happened here shouldnt be happening

Simon

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Will on June 17, 2014, 12:00:13 PM
Hi Simon,

Just a few quick questions I wondered whether you could tell me when the remaining JNF's are entering service in Kidderminster or have plans now changed as it would be good to see more of those vehicles in KR :)

also do you have any plans to introduce any Plaxton Centro's in Kidder? and finally has (30930; VX54 MUC, Dart SLF) had it's gearbox fault rectified? if so will it be re-sprayed and when will it re-enter service?

Will

Will

1.  We have a number of vehicles on the go at the minute, and that has delayed the completion of the JNF's.  They are expected to go to Kidderminster though
2.  There are no plans to introduce Centros at present.
3.  VX54MUC - The delay is around a difference of opinion on the warranty on the gearbox.

Simon

winston

Hi Simon,

I notice from the latest Routeone today that Rotala have now tagged 6 x 2001 DAF/Cadets on to their for sale list (I assume those will be 30202-7 & 30216). Obviously that's not going to removed the type & will still potentially leave an even smaller Cadet fleet at Diamond.

What's the reason behind all the Cadets not being advertised for sale? Doesn't that go against previous Rotala policy of wishing to standardize the fleet/reducing the number of vehicle types?

When do you anticipate knowing how Diamond have fared in the WCC tenders for Sept?

PM

Hi Simon

Just a quick one. There have been lots of rumours/discussion on this forum and others as to exactly what DDA compliance entails.

In terms of single decks, are the W...JNF darts compliant for aisle width?

Also, vehicles like 30428/30439 etc have ramps and "ironing board" wheelchair rests but the aisle width is less than that of 20849, as the footrest for the front two front seats overhangs the aisle.

Is it your understanding that the aisle width of the earlier pointers like (30428/30439) is sufficient, provided they have ramps and the relevant "ironing board" for wheelchairs?

Many Thanks

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Winston on June 25, 2014, 01:48:13 PM
Hi Simon,

I notice from the latest Routeone today that Rotala have now tagged 6 x 2001 DAF/Cadets on to their for sale list (I assume those will be 30202-7 & 30216). Obviously that's not going to removed the type & will still potentially leave an even smaller Cadet fleet at Diamond.

What's the reason behind all the Cadets not being advertised for sale? Doesn't that go against previous Rotala policy of wishing to standardize the fleet/reducing the number of vehicle types?

When do you anticipate knowing how Diamond have fared in the WCC tenders for Sept?

Winston,

1.  We are testing the water with the Cadets,
2.  WCC tenders - I understand their is an eauction today. 

Simon

Simon Dunn

Quote from: DiamondDart on June 25, 2014, 02:57:40 PM
Hi Simon

Just a quick one. There have been lots of rumours/discussion on this forum and others as to exactly what DDA compliance entails.

In terms of single decks, are the W...JNF darts compliant for aisle width?

Also, vehicles like 30428/30439 etc have ramps and "ironing board" wheelchair rests but the aisle width is less than that of 20849, as the footrest for the front two front seats overhangs the aisle.

Is it your understanding that the aisle width of the earlier pointers like (30428/30439) is sufficient, provided they have ramps and the relevant "ironing board" for wheelchairs?

Many Thanks

The darts will need some work to make the compliant

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk